1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Mechanical Engineers

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by Kerleyfries, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Oct 21, 2014 at 9:00 PM
    Kerleyfries

Kerleyfries [OP] Idk what the hell I'm doing

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Lebanon
    Vehicle:
    ‘17 F150 and SAS ‘98 4runner
    I was just wondering what y'all that have Mechanical Engineering degrees do for a living? I'm currently in college majoring in M.E. and I went to a job fair for internships and there was such a huge/wide spectrum of jobs that I hadn't even thought would hire mechanical engineers.

2. Oct 21, 2014 at 9:36 PM
    FooBird

FooBird Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Thermal hydraulic analysis of nuclear reactors.

3. Oct 21, 2014 at 9:40 PM
    gray223

gray223 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SE Missouri
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra Limited
    Anyone have a mechanical engineering technology degree? I'm thinking thats what I want to major in and would like some info. What are you doing for jobs?

4. Oct 21, 2014 at 10:01 PM
    rphass17

rphass17 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryne
    NE Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma DC TRD
    Deckplate NGK plugs & wires Grey Wire mod Anti door dinger mod
    I am currently studying Mechanical Engineering Technology (MET) at Michigan Technological University a school known for its engineering programs.

I know there are A LOT of Mechanical Engineers (MEs) that think the MET degree is useless and we METs get picked on a lot.

MET is a more hands on skill based degree which is why I chose it, here at MTU we take virtually all of the same classes as MEs do but we also get mor time in the shop honing our machine skills both by hand and CNC.

As I am currently on a Cooperative Education at Mercury Marine (Yeah the boat people) I can say the opportunities for ME and MET are equal. (THIS IS ONLY MY VIEW)

It all depends on the school work habit and background, I am also having a hard time where I would like to be.

Pick a good program our MET program is a 4 year and we take the same FE (Final Exam) before we graduate at the MEs do, so once I am graduated I will be considered a ME in SOME states not all.

Some MET degrees are 2 year programs and only focus on the technical side, where 4 years you get the books and the technical skills.

I've heard of MEs saying they will toss a MET resume in the trash if there is a ME resume also in line, and that is their view.

IN CONTRAST I know of multiple students at MTU that could not change a car tire if it was off the car already. These are book smart kids.

I'm not in it for the money (GF is going to school to be a Dr.) I want to be in a happy career and I know I'm not the best at math so I chose MET which is 1 year less math and I don't have to take the Bullshit engineering courses that everyone loves so much.

MET for life.

$0.02

Feel free to ask any questions.

5. Oct 21, 2014 at 10:10 PM
    gray223

Member:
    SE Missouri
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra Limited
    Thanks man. Ya I wanted to do the more hands on course and take less of the useless theory classes you have take for ME. I think I could handle the math, but like you said I want to be happy and know how to actually do something beside right numbers on paper.And I like actually WORKING and getting stuff done using some physical effort. You can only do so much at a desk.

I'm really looking at Southeast Missouri State they just built an new science and tech building and its cheap and close. Heard anything about them?

Oh and OP, sorry for the some what threadjacking.

6. Oct 22, 2014 at 7:24 AM
    hpvds

hpvds Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Manie
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    Barcelona Red 2010 4x4 Doublecab
    Ironman 4x4 FCP lift, ARB bumper, NL Dual bats, Skids and sliders
    I have an Mech and Aero bachelor's and Aero Masters. I currently test pressurized propulsion systems for satellites and spacecraft. Before I was doing planning for future development testing on a new program. In the past I have also worked in design, manufacturing and protyping.

In each of these it varies from no hands on design doing purely math and/management, to what I am doing now where I work on hardware every day. I have a number of friends who have also have aero/mech degrees all over the place; some working manufacturing computer processors/chips, one at a top financial institution. In the end you can go where you want with your mech degree. It may have all the math in science behind it but more shows that you are a problem solver and are willing to work to get a desired end result.

My advice is to find something that you will enjoy doing and will also learn something new, and if you end up doing something and hate it don't be afraid to look elsewhere. That's what I found my internships most useful for, testing jobs and seeing if I wanted to go in that direction at all.

7. Oct 22, 2014 at 10:29 AM
    SVHANC

SVHANC Kermit

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    '10 4x4 5sp 4cyl Access Cab
    Weathertech Floor Liners, Scangauge 2, Tailgate Hose Clamp, Rear Seat Headrests Removed
    I have a BSME from Clemson. Co-oped on Nuclear Submarines, made shopping carts, shock absorbers, airbag inflators, and now Proton Therapy machines. I have been both in product and machine design for manufacturing and now I am doing more with the Process Engineering side of things. MET degree will probably cost you salary up front, but once you get in the door it is all about aptitude. At that point more education can be had on the companies dime too.

8. Oct 22, 2014 at 10:40 AM
    Kerleyfries

Kerleyfries [OP] Idk what the hell I'm doing

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Lebanon
    Vehicle:
    ‘17 F150 and SAS ‘98 4runner
    I appreciate all of the input y'all!

9. Oct 22, 2014 at 12:05 PM
    gray223

Member:
    SE Missouri
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra Limited
    What do you mean by MET will cost more salary upfront? Like you won't make as much to start out?

10. Oct 22, 2014 at 2:17 PM
    SVHANC

SVHANC Kermit

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    '10 4x4 5sp 4cyl Access Cab
    Weathertech Floor Liners, Scangauge 2, Tailgate Hose Clamp, Rear Seat Headrests Removed
    That is typically the case. The positions hiring for MET grads are more limited in scope than ME degrees and focused more towards manufacturing. Think getting dirty for a few years. Been there, done that, learned a lot. Graduating during a down economy is a bitch.

11. Oct 23, 2014 at 8:40 PM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner Double Cab TRD Sport
    ..in my experience, ME can lead to a wide array of career paths, ..all sorts of industries/sectors... technically-minded problem solvers are in demand! do your best to learn the material, and good luck ;)

12. Feb 23, 2015 at 8:54 PM
    jshsltr

jshsltr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    St Louis
    Completed BSME in December. I started applying for jobs at the end of January. I am in the process of interviewing with a major auto parts manufacturer. The position has a lot of variety involved. So many different possibilities for ME.

13. Feb 24, 2015 at 7:54 PM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner Double Cab TRD Sport
    congrats, and good luck! :wave:

14. Feb 28, 2015 at 6:40 PM
    enrohT5

enrohT5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wow, none of you went the construction route?

I was a nuke on subs, and said ef that. :luvya:

Building construction/maintenance is a dream.

To Top