1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Wax

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by niko5055, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Jun 21, 2020 at 2:43 PM
    gorram

gorram Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited
    I guess in the sense of a detailer trying to cut his time to get to the next thing. But as a guy in his driveway do you really need that 10-15 minutes? Plus with a little foam applicator you can contort that into any configuration to get anywhere, you'd have to come back and hit those areas after you put the polisher down. Then you have to clean out the pad which will probably take just as much time as saved.

Then again I'd probably go with a spray product over a tin of wax, but that's me.

Venom[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Jun 22, 2020 at 3:59 AM
    Venom

Venom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Massachusetts
    Would a tin wax product last longer (durability) over a spray product, excluding spray on coating type of product?

3. Jun 22, 2020 at 4:35 AM
    smithlaketaco

smithlaketaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, Al
    Vehicle:
    95 TRD OR,2002 TRD OR,2020 AG PRO ALL MT
    I tacked the GF's super white camry this weekend. Washed, clay blocked, washed again, then did one coat of turtle wax hybrid spay wax and i must say the results on the super white were amazing. I will do the second coat tonight and then time will tell as to how long it will last. But so far i am very impressed.

4. Jun 22, 2020 at 5:22 AM
    gorram

gorram Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited
    I'm sure there are plenty that do, but I've read someone on here that said CG Jetseal lasted him a year. Now maybe it's not a daily driver that lives outside but that seems to beat every other user's experience of it I've ever heard. There is just too much YMMV with these types of products. Some that come to mind that will likely last longer than this threads Megs HCW: Soft99 Fusso Coat or FK1000P. Notice how cheap FK1000P is and likely how many applications you get. There are guys out there that have been using that for years from the same tin wondering what in the hell are you guys wasting your time with all these new fangled products.

davidstacoma and Venom[QUOTED] like this.
  5. Jun 24, 2020 at 3:58 AM
    Venom

Venom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Massachusetts
    Have you tried using Soft99 Fusso Coat , FK1000P, Collinite? If so, what was your experience with them?

I read some people were getting few months of durability from Megs HCW. I guess it was less than what they were expecting.

A lot of old time detailers believe in the saying "if it's not broken don't fix it". Which there nothing wrong with those products.

6. Jun 24, 2020 at 4:18 AM
    gorram

gorram Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited
    I've not used any of them or HCW. If you dig deep enough you'll find good and bad experiences with all these products. Just too many variables at play.

I will say out of the 4-5 LSP products I've used all of them fall short to Cquartz Lite. My experience is good enough with that not to bother with a longer term coating any time soon for my truck.

ace96 likes this.
  7. Jun 24, 2020 at 4:53 AM
    Venom

Venom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Massachusetts
    I've seen videos and read reviews that the HCW is short lived, and can be finicky with removal.

When the weather gets better I'm going to try a coating lite product as you mention before. I have to correct some UV damage area first, then some defect in certain areas.

What's is a aggressive pad to use on a Porter Cable 7424?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  8. Jun 24, 2020 at 5:47 AM
    gorram

gorram Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited
    Not sure what you mean by correct UV damage. The UV protection of clear coat is at the botttom of the layer. This is why you don't want to correct too deeply, better to leave a deep scratch rather than correct it for the long run.

Aggressive pads would be wool and microfiber. I purposely only bother with minor correction or polishing. I stay away from trying to perfect a daily driver.

9. Jun 25, 2020 at 6:13 AM
    Venom

Venom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Massachusetts
    It kind of look like water spots. Then the spots start to blister then peel. My Toyota not that bad but it's getting there.

My neighbor Highlander started by the spots then clear peeling.

As far as scratches goes, if I can't remove them with a few passes they're staying.

I have the Buff and Shine microfiber pads. I don't know if the Buff and Shine microfiber pads are bogging down the PC 7424 due to the thickness of the pads. My Meguiars microfiber pads I haven't used them yet. I also have the Lake Country thin purple foam wool pads. I haven't used them enough to say if I like them or not. It's just a matter of finding the right product and pad combination to achieve the desire result. This is why I'm asking a lot questions.

10. Jun 25, 2020 at 7:42 AM
    gorram

gorram Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited
    Pretty much you've got to test. Even if we had same year model, same color, same detailing gear there's still plenty of chance the paints react differently. Even all the guys that do this for a living say that.

11. Jun 25, 2020 at 11:59 AM
    Venom

Venom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Massachusetts
    I read this on Autogeek Online hundreds of times. I wasn't sure if they were a tried and true combination between pads and products.

I was getting lazy and was trying to skip the test spot. I'll take your advice you mentioned before about working with the mildest product first then working more aggressive.

12. Jun 25, 2020 at 3:19 PM
    skidooboy

skidooboy titanium plate tester

Member:
    central lower mich
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Sport OV Tuned, Cement
    dd light bars, trd cat back exhaust, KDMax tuned, trd skid plate, 2" lift, sema wheels toyo open country at3 tires.
    i tried Griot's Garage 3 in 1 siO2 ceramic wax... i like it A LOT BETTER than turtlewax, and meguires versions. there is something to this product. put it on a white trailer prone to black streaks. usually no matter what product i put on it, after a rain, and air dry, the streaks are back. not with this stuff. lasts a while exposed in the sun/rain/elements. Ski

13. Aug 4, 2020 at 5:55 AM
    Taco_mike73

Taco_mike73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    York, PA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement SR5 DCSB 4x4
    Lomax tonneau cover, oem bed lights, AJT Design chrome delete, black out badges & tailgate letters, AVS hood deflector & vent visors, Solkie tech hood supports, interior LED lights, Tufskinz mud guards, RedArc TowPro Liberty, bed mat, kicker speaker upgrade, Hikari ultra H11 low beams, Diode Dynamics SS3 fogs in yellow, Meso customs total taillight stage 1. Coming soon: Compact powered sub install Future mods planned: bigger tires (265/75/16) BILLSTIEN 5100 lift
    I tried the Maguires hybrid ceramic wax in liquid form. I was fairly impressed with it on my new Cement SR5. now I see you guys think the Turtle wax product is better. has Maguires gone down that far? I usually thought Maguires and Mother's products were the better consumer products. At $22 @ Autozone I think the turtle wax was less expensive. Oh well maybe I'l try it next time.

14. Aug 4, 2020 at 8:37 AM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    AVS bug deflector, Weathertech digital fit floor mats, TRD skid plate w/ Sockmonkey decal, SOS Cocept sliders w/ Line-x, Pioneer 3500, Hybrid Audio Technology Mirus 6X9s & 6.5s, back up cam mod, Wet Okoles-front & rear, TRD exhaust, 17X9 XD Spy w/ Falken Wildpeaks, Avid light bar

$22?? Jeez that shit is high.

15. Aug 4, 2020 at 9:19 AM
    Taco_mike73

Taco_mike73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    York, PA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement SR5 DCSB 4x4
    Lomax tonneau cover, oem bed lights, AJT Design chrome delete, black out badges & tailgate letters, AVS hood deflector & vent visors, Solkie tech hood supports, interior LED lights, Tufskinz mud guards, RedArc TowPro Liberty, bed mat, kicker speaker upgrade, Hikari ultra H11 low beams, Diode Dynamics SS3 fogs in yellow, Meso customs total taillight stage 1. Coming soon: Compact powered sub install Future mods planned: bigger tires (265/75/16) BILLSTIEN 5100 lift
    I'm sure it's cheaper at Walmart. They were offering a buy one get one half off on another Maguire's product at the auto parts store.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    BangosTaco likes this.
  16. Aug 6, 2020 at 12:35 PM
    Venom

Venom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Massachusetts
    What are people getting for durable from the Meguiar's Ceramic Wax? With or without any spray toppers.

17. Aug 7, 2020 at 9:50 AM
    Chris(NJ)

Chris(NJ) Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Usually in Central Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    Mods are currently being changed .....
    I never found it to be any quicker.

Venom[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Aug 7, 2020 at 9:52 AM
    Chris(NJ)

Chris(NJ) Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Usually in Central Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    Mods are currently being changed .....

Had a bunch of birds shit on the truck on Wednesday so I washed it that evening. Sure enough, beading was gone and any remaining protection was not noticeable. Sure enough, it looks like it's been right in that time frame of what I listed earlier; 6-7 weeks. I think I'm going to go back to Collinite after I finish off this bottle to regain the longer term durability.

19. Aug 7, 2020 at 1:29 PM
    Venom

Venom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Massachusetts
    I was watching on YouTube, Detail Geek. He mentioned it was quicker by applying by machine than hand.

20. Aug 7, 2020 at 1:31 PM
    Venom

Venom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Massachusetts
    This doesn't sound good. Wonder if Turtle Wax Ceramic would last any longer.

Products Discussed in

To Top