1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Meguires ULW and TW Ice Spray Wax

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by NMTrailRider, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Aug 28, 2015 at 3:47 PM
    NMTrailRider

NMTrailRider [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Application about two weeks ago. Daily driver. Garaged nightly. This was the beading this morning after last night's rains.

image.jpg

2. Sep 1, 2015 at 2:26 AM
    chazman45

chazman45 New Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB

3. Sep 1, 2015 at 8:27 AM
    bigfoote13

bigfoote13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD SPORT
    2016 Sport suspension 1/2 spacer up front and aal in rear SCS Stealth 6 17 inch wheels Wildpeak AT3 265 70 17
    I have an old bottle of ICE polish and it lasts about 4 weeks. I wonder if the new stuff works lasts any longer

4. Sep 1, 2015 at 3:24 PM
    NMTrailRider

Member:
    New Mexico
    i'm talking about the ice spray wax. It's a wipe on wipe off product- I use it after every wash (as sort of a "refresher" between applications of Ultimate Liquid). It works really well. Super shine.

5. Sep 1, 2015 at 5:57 PM
    bigfoote13

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD SPORT
    2016 Sport suspension 1/2 spacer up front and aal in rear SCS Stealth 6 17 inch wheels Wildpeak AT3 265 70 17
    I am completely opposite of you. I do the ice polish then I use me guides quick wax after washes. Once I run out of the Polish I am going to try the ultimate liquid.

6. Sep 1, 2015 at 8:58 PM
    NMTrailRider

Member:
    New Mexico
    Cool. How old is your turtle wax ice? Is it like that tiny bottle you see on the shelves today? Seems odd to me how small the bottle is. I've been wanting to hear someone's thoughts on its performance.

I'm a big fan of the UL. I think you'll like it. Mine is holding up much longer than a month. Probably the longest lasting product I've ever used. It makes washes so easy. I have a bottle of the Meguires quick wax too, but the shine pales in comparison to the Ice.

7. Sep 2, 2015 at 4:19 AM
    bigfoote13

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD SPORT
    My bottle is the old style. It's the ice polish that you can't find anymore. I love the stuff. The ice still beads well after four weeks but it feels different to my hand. I am not sure about the new ice liquid wax but I have read where it's a new formula and it's not as good as the old. I think I have a wax or two left before the ultimate.

Does the ultimate turn white or does it stay clear?

8. Sep 2, 2015 at 10:44 AM
    NMTrailRider

Member:
    New Mexico
    the ultimate stays clear. it's almost like rubbing butter/oil onto the surface. it never really dries. the instructions were changed to just do one panel at a time and remove after 2-3 minutes because some people were having trouble with removal. but I do the whole truck and let it sit for a half hour. no removal problems at all. it's like wiping off butter. I'm guessing those removal problems my be on deteriorating paint. my paint is in like new condition. so no, it doesn't flash like normal "waxes".

Edit: I apply ULW in an underground garage = humid. If you're out in the sun and it looks like its drying, try the panel by panel, 2-3 minute method. But I doubt it will come to that- this stuff is like grease. In the rare event that it does dry on you, hit it with a little detail spray and then wipe off. That should do it (I got this info straight off the Meg's online forum). Most removal problems are because it was applied too thick. Apply it thin thin thin. Applied correctly, it will be hard to tell that you have any on the vehicle. You really gotta get down and look at an angle.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  9. Sep 4, 2015 at 11:55 AM
    iK0NiK

iK0NiK Insert custom title here.

Member:
    First Name:
    West
    Columbus, GA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB V6 TRDOR 4WD
    Bil 6112/5160's etc.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/19864193?reviews_limit=7&

@harpolith Is this the same product you're talking about using? I used this stuff for the first time on my 2015 and was very impressed by the results. Went on easily, came off easily, left no white residue on any black surface. I took my time and applied a liberal coat to every square inch of the exterior of the vehicle aside from the windows. Water beads up beautifully on metal surfaces and plastics.

10. Sep 4, 2015 at 10:31 PM
    NMTrailRider

Member:
    New Mexico
    Your link didn't work for me so I'm not sure which product you are talking about (the ultimate liquid, I assume?).

I'm using Meguires Ultimate Liquid Wax (it's actually a 100% synthetic sealer, no cleaning properties). They market it as a "wax" but it's not a true wax. And I use Turtle Wax Ice spray wax after every wash. Seems to be a great combo.

Yup, I agree- if you get either product on black trim, no biggie at all (I think you can even use the turtle wax on glass). As for a thick application of the ULW, it's really not necessary. Due to how the stuff works, there's really no advantage. It doesn't really "layer" like traditional waxes. I did lots of research on it- two very thin coats are recommended to ensure even application (sounds like you got that done with one liberal coat). Some have reported difficulty with removal, but I can't even imagine that. It was the easiest "wax" I've ever removed. It's just awesome stuff.

Here are links to the two products- remarkable results, great longevity, and inexpensive:
    http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G18216-Ultimate-Liquid-Wax/dp/B004HCM9H4
    http://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Wax-T-477R-ICE-Spray/dp/B007KTINWQ

Hekkisaurusrex likes this.
  11. Sep 4, 2015 at 10:55 PM
    NMTrailRider

Member:
    New Mexico
    Regarding layering- I'll add that it looks much better after two (or three) coats. I don't think it's layering, though, like a carnauba or traditional wax. I think it's a situation where you're essentially maximizing the number of sealer polymers bound to the paint surface at the molecular level (as opposed to stacking them on top of each other). Haha I should probably lay off the research a bit. I've found that I get the best results using two really thin coats applied 12-24 hours apart. There is a cure time- it looks great when your done, but it will improve over the next 24 hours or so.

12. Sep 4, 2015 at 11:04 PM
    ODNAREM

ODNAREM MEMBER Of The Church Of @ODNAREM

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Huntington Beach,CA.
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport Prerunner
    TRD catback exhaust,FJ Cruiser trail team wheels,BFG All Terrain K02 tires,Grillcraft front grill,Pelfreybilt IFS/Mid skids,sliders,standard rear bumper,Total Chaos bed stiffeners.TRD Pro Bilstein front/rear suspension.
    Love the Meguiar's "Ultimate Liquid Wax"!It's the only wax i've been using on my 2012 black Tacoma since i bought my truck brand new 3 yrs ago.Extremely satisfied!

NMTrailRider[OP] likes this.
  13. Sep 5, 2015 at 11:17 AM
    syswalla

syswalla Knob

Member:
    5557 ft.
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD OR
    OP, how often do you put ULW your truck? I just bought a 2015 and am planning on claying it sometime soon. I picked up some ULW but have been on the fence if I should use it or find a true sealant to apply after the clay. I'm thinking sealant for longevity. From your post it sounds like ULW may actually be a sealant even though the info on the package kinda dances around that.

14. Sep 5, 2015 at 12:24 PM
    NMTrailRider

Member:
    New Mexico
    You're catching on. ULW is a true sealant. As I mentioned previously, no cleaning or abrasive component to it at all. It's a 100% synthetic polymer sealant (like chemical bros jet seal, blackfire wet diamond, etc, but much more cost effective).

Meguires knows the typical consumer won't know what a sealant is- the consumer just wants to "wax" their vehicle. Meguires also knows the typical consumer would appreciate the benefits of a sealer over an actual wax- primarily due to longevity and ease of application/removal. So, they sell a sealer and call it a wax = everybody is happy. That's my theory, anyway. Most of the over the counter "waxes" nowadays contain synthetic components. Meg's isn't the only company going this route. Lots of products are a combination of both synthetic and natural wax components.

The first time I applied ULW, I topped it with Collinite. I ended up stripping the truck with Dawn dish soap because the Collinite really took away from the ULW shine. People top sealer with wax all the time, but my theory is that the solvents in the Collinite probably strip a majority of the sealer. So I reapplied the ULW and it looked really good again. I reapplied it again after about 6 weeks although it didn't need it. I just wanted to get another coat on before I got really busy this fall.

The way I understand it, polymers in the sealer bond with the paint at the molecular level. Once the paint molecules are saturated (and the polymers cross-link/cure), it doesn't matter how much sealer you continue to apply- it's not gonna stick. The Guys over at Meguires even tell you straight up that you're just wasting product at that point. Because there is a cure time, and the product is a liquid, you're wiping off a lot of what you laid down on the first application- but some is left on the surface, and it cures after ~24 hours. When you go back with a second coat, you're saturating the remaining exposed paint molecules- and then your done.

If you follow this method you'll see what I'm talking about. First coat is like an 80% improvement (paint mostly saturated with sealer), the second coat gets the remaining 20%. I've applied a third coat before and saw little to no improvement. I was essentially wiping off everything that I wiped on. Hope this makes sense.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
    ODNAREM likes this.
  15. Sep 5, 2015 at 12:28 PM
    NMTrailRider

Member:
    New Mexico
    Ha, in short, go ahead and clay and apply the ULW. You'll be happy with it. I didn't think claying was necessary on a pristine paint job, but it made a huge difference. I'm now convinced the high end sealer isn't necessary- ULW is more than sufficient for a daily driver. You'll be amazed with the shine.

ODNAREM likes this.
  16. Sep 5, 2015 at 12:54 PM
    ODNAREM

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Huntington Beach,CA.
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport Prerunner
    TRD catback exhaust,FJ Cruiser trail team wheels,BFG All Terrain K02 tires,Grillcraft front grill,Pelfreybilt IFS/Mid skids,sliders,standard rear bumper,Total Chaos bed stiffeners.TRD Pro Bilstein front/rear suspension.
    Amazing what Meguiar's ULW does to protect even after a day of wheelin like this!As i posted above it's all i use on my black 2012 Tacoma!IMAG4173.jpg

NMTrailRider[OP] likes this.
  17. Sep 5, 2015 at 2:25 PM
    NMTrailRider

Member:
    New Mexico
    What do you use for application? Microfiber pads are fine on my pyrite mica but I swirled the shit outta my dads black Nissan! Ha I didn't notice until it was out in the sun a few days later. Maybe I was just too heavy armed. Likely scenario.

18. Sep 5, 2015 at 2:37 PM
    NMTrailRider

Member:
    New Mexico
  19. Sep 5, 2015 at 2:45 PM
    ODNAREM

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Huntington Beach,CA.
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport Prerunner
    I use sponge aplicator pads on my black Tacoma.Microfiber pads do have a tendancy to leave swirl marks and appear days later no matter how heavy armed we all can be.I do my detailing by hand and will only use a buffer if i feel it's absolutely necessary even with it being less time consuming.

20. Sep 5, 2015 at 2:53 PM
    NMTrailRider

Member:
    New Mexico
    Thanks. I did it all by (an apparently strong) hand. And I went out and bought a dozen sponge applicators the next day!

To Top