Member1Zillion's 1 Zillionth build!!!

Discussion in '4Runner Builds' started by Member1Zillion, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Aug 25, 2017 at 4:31 PM
    Member1Zillion

Member1Zillion [OP] Involuntary Kamikaze Co-Pilot

Member:
    Big Whiskey, WY
    Vehicle:
    '01 TRD, '17 Tundra, '07 FJ Cruiser, 94 PU, '18 T4R, '84 PU
    This, that, & the other thing
    New Highway & General Purpose Rig???
    As some of you already know, I buy, fix, drive, and flip a lot of Toyotas. This one will probably hang around for a while. Back in March, a local salvage yard called me about this 2001 4Runner, it was wrecked in the left front corner. He thought I'd want it for parts as it only has 120k on it. He delivered it to my shop for $800. I took the damaged hood, fender, steering knuckle, UCA, bent wheel, broken remains of the bumper, headlamp and corner light off.

I could tell at the junkyard that the frame was bent in but felt like I could straighten it. Took the fuel tank out, loosened up all of the rack & pinion, engine, trans/t-case, body and chassis mounts to aid in pulling the frame back to ease the frame machine. It cost me half of the estimated $800.00 to pull the frame back to true. Meanwhile, I collected some parts.

UCA=A TacomaWorld member acquaintance=$0.00 with shipping=Awesome dude and member!!! Thanks Digiratus, you rock!!!
    Knuckle=Local salvage yard=$60
    Headlamp=Local salvage yard=$45
    Corner lamp=New through same local salvage yard=$36
    Hood & Fender=Found online in a salvage yard in Alabama, same color code, bought both to save on pallet shipping=$550.00
    Bumper=A buddy of mine who collects 4Runners=$50-will replace with winch bumper if I keep the vehicle.

Freebies from my own junk pile:

Rack & Pinioin-from old '99 Taco SAS project
    Wheels-from my own personal '15 Tacoma

Other Local salvage yard parts yet to install:

Fender flares-may not use these
    Hitch-will probably use until I decide to keep it, then I'll go CBI or some other or home brew bumper
    R. Rear Tail Lamp Assembly
    Rear Air Deflector
    Rear Diff Locker-after a re-gear
    Standard shift transfer case

Other new parts to go on that I've purchased:

4 shocks
    Front & Rear cheapie 2" lift-Will get replaced if I keep
    New Goodyear Duratracs-6 ply, LT265/75R16

I still need a new windshield as well, a complete detail, repaint front bumper, left front wheel bearing & seals, and a few other budget mods are on the agenda until I decide if I want to keep it around. My plan was to make this our new long trip vehicle to keep the miles off the FJ. This is why I'm going with very small alterations for now. We drive approximately 4000 to 6000 miles per year just on regular family trips and I still want it to be practical and reasonable on the highway. Driving with 33s and soon to be 35" mud terrains on a lifted FJ is making me feel old after a few hundred miles or so, so we'll see if this 4Runner will fill the bill. After an alignment, I've been driving it a bit around town for the last few weeks and the engine and drivetrain are very healthy and everything works good, and I expected that from an iconic Toyota with only 120k on the ODO. Thanks for looking.

0825170929.jpg

PapaBear likes this.
  2. Aug 25, 2017 at 4:44 PM
    PROseur

PROseur Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pussy
    Vehicle:
    2012 FJC TTSE/ 2001 Taliban Poverty DCSB/ 2017 6MT PRO / 2018 2.7L SR Utility
    Beautiful

3. Aug 25, 2017 at 4:47 PM
    BabyTaco

BabyTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2011 RC Tacoma
    :wave: Awesome write up. I remember seeing that runner at your shop.

Member1Zillion[OP] likes this.
  4. Aug 28, 2017 at 6:43 AM
    Member1Zillion

Member1Zillion [OP] Involuntary Kamikaze Co-Pilot

Member:
    Big Whiskey, WY
    Vehicle:
    '01 TRD, '17 Tundra, '07 FJ Cruiser, 94 PU, '18 T4R, '84 PU
    This, that, & the other thing
    Saw the GF Friday, she said you're doing good up there. Sorry I didn't make it over that far, Salmon is as far west as I made it in central ID. How you liking Ideehoe?

5. Aug 28, 2017 at 7:28 AM
    BabyTaco

BabyTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2011 RC Tacoma
    She is stoked about having good brakes again and said your shop did a great job. Idaho is great. The town itself is a bit underwhelming but the surrounding area is awesome. I love my job too so that helps.

Products Discussed in

To Top