1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Mequiar's Headlight Restoration Kit Review

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Janster, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Janster

Janster [OP] Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2007 4.0L 4x4 TRD Sport Access Cab A
    Advantage Torza top (tri-fold), Husky floor mats, RuffTuff seat covers, C2C hood struts, Homelink mirror, USA Spec PA15-Toy (120gig Classic & 8gig nano), Garmin Nuvi 660, Protecta Bed mat, Pop-n-lock, TSB Springs, Scangauge II, Heated drivers seat, Fumoto drain valve, Aries pushbar, PIAA 540 fog lights, Hood scoop grahics, Flowmaster 50 series dual catback exhaust, RainX Latitude windshield wipers, Husky rear floor liner (ontop of folded down seats). Console Vault.
    Just polished up my headlights today and thought I'd add a review.

My husband bought the Mequiar's Heavy Duty Headlight Restoration Kit about a month ago and used it on his 2006 Acura MDX and really liked it.
    http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/g3000-heavy-duty-headlight-restoration-kit/

The headlights on the truck weren't that bad but there was a section at the top that was yellow & non-clear and portions that were fading. So, I figured I give this a shot....

In a nutshell - the kit requires hand sanding (wet & dry), buffing (with drill & buffing compound), & applying UV protectant. Easy job....even I can do it!! LOL

Here's a picture of the worst area on my headlights - upper corner:
    BEFORE:
    [​IMG]

and AFTER:
    [​IMG]

Obviously, this is DAY 1.... The UV protectant is important as to protect from further yellowing/fading. My husband has applied it a couple times 'just in case'. I honestly don't know how long this will last - so we'll see. Easy to perform this again in a few years if needed.

2. SoCalPoolman

SoCalPoolman Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Anaheim, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Sport
    [​IMG][/IMG]I just used this product on my 07. It was very easy and with great results. Took about an hour of not so hard work. I didn't add a clearcoat this time i want to see how long it lasts on its own. I will repost as time goes on with progress [​IMG]

3. sukii

sukii New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5
    Bump. Any updates on the headlight resurrection?

4. dirtychemist

dirtychemist Member

Member:
    from 22 months ago....:confused:

Use toothpaste (Crest works great) and a rag or any Cleaner wax. It's cheaper and does the same thing. Don't believe me, Google it.

5. coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd

How bad were they to begin with? I just can't see using only a rag helping all that much on some of the worse ones.

6. sukii

sukii New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5
    That is correct ... ?! I wanted to know if the restoration held up over time. And you are correct, 22 months ago so now would be the perfect time to ask. :)

To Top