1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

MESO Puddle Light build

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by MESO, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Aug 27, 2019 at 1:58 PM
    photoguy190

photoguy190 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James Goff
    Middle TN
    I must have missed where people where having trouble later on? I thought people where just discovering the issue after driving.

Most of these issue are related to a bent pin. So your work around is going to be preventing bending a pin in the first place. Also not a bad idea to make sure everything works before pulling the door ect. I pulled the A pillar first and plugged every thing in to confirm it was working then proceed with the install.

The guide provided has you pulling the door panel and then unhooking the connects blind. However the panel with the window/mirror controls easy pops out of the door with a trim removal tool and then you can fully disconnect the controls. Being about to see to a line the pins will help.

I believe MESO also suggested pulling wire from the door though cause the connector is smaller so it will pull better and have less chance of pulling wires from their connections.

Also try to only pull on the contentions via the plastic and not the wires. Its easy to forget and just pull.

2. Aug 27, 2019 at 2:18 PM
    Skydvrr

Skydvrr IG: @kalopsianick

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    YMH
    Vehicle:
    Black '17 OR

I think you're thinking too much into this. I bet the majority of people that have had issues, didn't dry fit and didn't check the lights before reinstalling all the panels. So the probability of "vibrating pins" is slim to none. Give the wires a small tug at the T harness connectors. Visually inspect pins for bent etc. If all seems well then either the lights are bad or u bent a pin during installation.

rdpoe likes this.
  3. Aug 27, 2019 at 3:50 PM
    Suburbacide

Suburbacide Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Quincy, MA
    Vehicle:
    '18 MGM Tacoma TRD Sport 6MT
    Anybody have any tips for arranging the harnesses in the A-pillar? I've tried different configurations but the cover seems to bulge when I button it all up.

Bunk Moreland likes this.
  4. Aug 27, 2019 at 4:21 PM
    mlr69

mlr69 I had a savings account before I joined TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    2" ToyTec/Eibach Pro Sport Lift Kit -SparksParts.com 3/4" ToyTec Front Top Plate Spacer Kit -SparksParts.com SPC Performance Upper Control Arms -SparksParts.com Nitto Ridge Grapplers 285/75/17 (34") -SparksParts.com 1.25" Spidertrax Wheel Spacers -SparksParts.com Hypertech Speedometer Calibrator -hypertech.com Predator Tube Steps -SparksParts.com BAKFlip G2 Tonneau -SparksParts.com OEM Rubber Bed Mat -SparksParts.com OEM All-weather Floor Liners -SparksParts.com Gentex Frameless Mirror with Homelink @RJP869 Subaru/Kicker Tweeters -amazon.com Kicker Door Speakers (x4) -crutchfield.com Radio Knobs @Tacowiede Vehicle OCD Glove Box Organizer -amazon.com ‎JoyTutus Center Console Tray -amazon.com FormulaOne Pinnacle Window Tint -SparksParts.com ACDF Horn Kit @BartMaster1234 Total Tail Light S1 Kit @MESO ECT Button Relocation Kit @Tacowiede Minimalist Key Fobs @MESO Ultimate Map & Dome Lights @MESO Fortin EVO-ALL Remote Start w/Cell Module @jmeitz Coin Bucket with Lid @MESO GermesLab Camera Control System @FreshMexicanTaco Natika Front View Camera -amazon.com VLEDS LP Reverse Light System -vleds.com LIFTd Customs Fuel Cap Cradle @JIMMEISTER OEM Power Tailgate Lock -SparksParts.com OEM 2022 Limited Grille -SparksParts.com OEM 2022 Limited LED Headlamps -SparksParts.com LED Headlight Conversion Harness @daveeasa Headlight Trim Plates @MESO OEM Door Sill Protectors -SparksParts.com Diode Dynamics Elite Fog Lights @memario1214 Fog Light Backlighting PNP Harness @daveeasa
    Suburbacide[QUOTED] and corgimas like this.
  5. Aug 27, 2019 at 5:00 PM
    Suburbacide

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Quincy, MA
    Vehicle:
    birdieking33 and mlr69[QUOTED] like this.
  6. Aug 27, 2019 at 5:09 PM
    KnckleChldrn

KnckleChldrn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Mass
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB MT
    Suspension OME 886 Coils OME Nitro Charger Sport shocks OME Nitro Charger Sport struts Deaver Expedition leaf pack Mickey Thompson wheels 265/70/17 KO2 Total Chaos upper control arms Performance K&N air intake Exterior Southern Style Offroad slim line bumper Smittybilt x20 winch Interior Kicker tweeters, front and rear speakers Anytime front and rear camera Hondo Garage stereo knobs Hondo Garage un-Holley mount MESO black out door handles MESO steering wheel MGM overlay MESO puddle pods MESO ultimate red map lights MESO ultimate red dome MESO gasshole MESO ultimate turn signals MESO BD5 3rd brake light MESO stage 3 side markers Retrofit Morimoto 2.0 headlights RGB halo RGB demons RGB DRL Cali Raised raptor LED tail lights SpartanXCustoms scoop light Baja Designs Squadron Sports fogs (amber) Baja Designs Squadron Pro ditch (amber) Baja Designs S8 20" Matt Gecko bed lights Matt Gecko hood lights Switchpro 9100 OEM bed mat 300 Industries grill Bakflip Fibermax cover
    Also plan on tackling tomorrow. Was hoping to do speakers with dynamat (or equivalent) at same time but didn’t find any mat.

Suburbacide[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Aug 27, 2019 at 5:19 PM
    shakerhood

shakerhood Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DCSB Off Road, 6 Speed MT, P&T
    Seems like they should turn on when you hit the unlock button.

8. Aug 27, 2019 at 6:46 PM
    Rainoffire

Rainoffire Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 QS DCLB TRD Sport
    Just FYI, I sent you a reply back.
    If you are still interested.

9. Aug 27, 2019 at 7:24 PM
    ICU1

ICU1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I think this qualifies as a man crush

10. Aug 28, 2019 at 4:43 AM
    CT18Tacoma

CT18Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Sport
    I got my puddles installed this past weekend. Everything went well. Took my time.
    I laid everything out and hooked everything up dry and tapped the A pillar connection to make sure all was fine.

I would throw out there that when disconnecting all the connections, only pull on the plastic plug and not the wires in the plug. May help some of tue connections issues.

Thanks @MESO for another great product!

Frsh2df and cshrum like this.
  11. Aug 28, 2019 at 8:23 AM
    xMaverickx

xMaverickx Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM Limited V6 4X4 DCLB
    Got mine installed in two nights after work. Expensive little things up here in Canada but absolutely worth it. Overall went pretty good, but broke one of my Meso puddle housings from removal after a test fit in the mirror; one of the longer clips snapped off. A little bit of epoxy fixed that though.

Also lost two of the white clips that hold the inner mirror panel on, one in each door lol. Don’t let those things push in, they fall into a cavity that has no other access but from the top. 12$ for two replacements from the local dealership .

Cost of Meso puddle lights in Canada:

Puddle lights : 200$
    Tax & Duties : 40$
    Spare parts : 12$

But hey not likely to find another Tacoma in my city with them.

One issue that came up though is I’m getting a lot of wind noise but only on my drivers side. I have the AVS in channel vent shades and it seems like I’m getting a lot of noise from my drivers side. I checked the window trim and it all looks to be fine and in place, passenger side looks the same and no noise on that side. Anyone else experience this? Or does anyone have any idea’s?

Suburbacide and WHIT4K3R like this.
  12. Aug 28, 2019 at 10:10 AM
    godzilla888

godzilla888 Just a plain white T

Member:
    Paradise
    Vehicle:
    2017 Super White SR5 DCSB AT
    Iirc if your taco is unlocked, the dome will not turn on when you press unlock from the fob.
    If the truck is locked, unlocking will then trigger the lights. Just the way the truck was designed, nothing went wrong with your install.

birdieking33 likes this.
  13. Aug 28, 2019 at 10:40 AM
    NoOne

NoOne El Taco Guapo

Member:
    First Name:
    Ø ©
    Gulf South
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma DCLB OR (AT) - MGM
    2018 SR5 - (Sold) 2018 OR (or what?) Louisiana Edition
    I recall there was a recall/notice/advisory on wind noise for driver's side door moulding on the early 3rd gen (Which I see yours is a member of). You might search the forum for info on that and the resolution. As I recall reading, it had something to do with the a-pillar area of the rubber door molding/seal.

14. Aug 28, 2019 at 10:57 AM
    get-er-dirty

get-er-dirty Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Vehicle:
    Black 17 SR5
    has anyone mod the connectors to add a switch or is everyone waiting for the MeSowitch

15. Aug 28, 2019 at 11:46 AM
    xMaverickx

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the info, I’ll look into it!

16. Aug 28, 2019 at 11:56 AM
    oneup714

oneup714 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    All show no go Super White Tacoma TRD Mall Crawler
    I believe there are some members researching on tapping into the rear bed lights at the moment but I think most of us are waiting for Meso to come out with the switch.

17. Aug 28, 2019 at 12:08 PM
    Suburbacide

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Quincy, MA
    Vehicle:
    I've got the same setup with AVS in-channels and I don't have any wind noise. Maybe check to make sure that the housing is properly seated and flush with the mirror. & Also check to see that VLED is pushed all the way into the housing? On one of my housings I had to really push the led module to get it all the way in.

18. Aug 28, 2019 at 12:53 PM
    xMaverickx

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    No problems with the LED’s they’re flush and screwed in, mouldings seem fine too. Not sure where exactly it’s coming from

19. Aug 29, 2019 at 4:42 AM
    xMaverickx

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Okay, so after some more driving it seems to be something wrong the window moulding. Nothing to do with the puddle mod other than I might not have been careful enough putting the inner door panel back on.

It’s coming from the upper corner of the window next to the B pillar, if I push on the window with my finger in that corner it gets 10x worse. The window seems to be seating differently every time I roll it up, but visibly looks the same and doesn’t appear to be out of its channel.

I knocked the bottom of the moulding out next to the A pillar when I put the door panel back in. I didn’t notice till I finished the install and went to put my windows up and the drivers was catching on it’s own moulding. After taking it back apart I realized I pushed the inner door panel to hard into the A pillar when I mounted it and managed to push out the moulding on the inside, but it was only the first couple inches around the A pillar and removing the door panel aloud it to go back into place on its own. Then I just laid the door panel back in place without any forward pressure and it was fine until I went for a drive and got wind noise from the complete opposite corner.

Might just take the door panel back off and try removing the moulding and re installing. Or maybe just keep pushing on the AVS deflector in that area until satisfied.

20. Aug 29, 2019 at 5:38 AM
    rdpoe

rdpoe #2WDFTW

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Central Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR DCLB (Sold), Honda Civic TRD PRO
    Sounds like TSB time. I had the same issue. They fully resolved by replacing the door seal

Products Discussed in

To Top