1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

MESO Puddle Light build

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by MESO, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Jun 2, 2020 at 7:53 PM
    Puppypunter

Puppypunter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black SR
    @MESO Since you're here, could you verify the colors/functions on the puddle light connections? Black is ILLUMINATION 12v+, YELLOW is DOME CONSTANT 12v+, RED is Dome - (PWM), and WHITE is IGNITION 12v+? As always, appreciate your time.

blitzkrieg3002 likes this.
  2. Jun 2, 2020 at 7:59 PM
    blitzkrieg3002

blitzkrieg3002 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    California
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma SR5 4x4 5.29’s
    BP51 Complete Kit, Medium Duty Dakar Pack, Firestone ride rite airbags w/Daystar Cradles, 2015 Four Wheel Camper Swift Shell Custom build, 5.29 Gears, Valley Runner Tune, Harrop E Lockers Front & Rear, SCS F5 Wheels 16x8 3.5bs, Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx 285/75/16, Cali Raised 0 Deg Sliders, BHLM, DD SS3 Yellow Pro Fogs, Debadged/Stickers Removed, Paint to match Bumper caps, Start-X Remote Start, N2 Designs Smart Phone module, Pop N Lock Tailgate lock, Taco Garage TRD PRO grille, Prodigy P3 Trailer Brake Controller, Rockblokz XL Mud Flaps.
    awesome! Let me know how it works out. I did reach out to Oznium just on Amazon and asked them when using a negative trigger they said use the low. But who knows if that’s correct. Can’t wait to hear about your test!

Puppypunter[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Jun 2, 2020 at 8:30 PM
    Puppypunter

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black SR
    Wow, good to know. I figured the Ground would be the one to use. I’ll play around with it by this weekend and see how it all works without the DSIM module and I’ll experiment with the trigger options for Oznium as well. I just got a spare set of the puddle lights from Meso (liked them so much, I bought a spare set!) and some adapters from DSIM to make a harness. So I’ll be tinkering with it over the next few days.

4. Jun 4, 2020 at 5:40 PM
    Puppypunter

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black SR
    So, I played around a little today, and found a couple of things. The PWM (-) doesn't work as a trigger. It causes an error in the oznium dimmer. Trying to drive a relay directly off the PWM (-) to pin 85 (ground side of the coil) didn't work either. It caused the relay to chatter while the voltage was modulating. So the LEDs turned into a strobe. I came up with a work around, but I'm going to kick it around. I had to use another relay, and there is an issue with the DSIM module. When it is hooked up, the dome lights no longer fades on and off. I also checked one more thing, the amp draw on the dome circuit. With the puddle pods and the dome light, it only draws 1.13 amps, so there is some room there to add to. It should be noted that I am using LED's for the map lights and the Meso ultimate dome light, so I'm betting that contributes to the low draw (the Meso puddle pods came in at 0.33A each, so they are almost 0.7 of that). Also verified that the yellow wire in Meso's harness is Dome (+) (19 above) and the red is the PWM (-)(11 above). The harness posted by Caribe Makaira (can I just call you Caribe? I always have to look for the spelling on the second part) is of the tap in the a-pillar, but Meso has a different scheme on his wiring. RED>WHITE; BLACK>YELLOW; YELLOW>RED; GREEN>BLACK. So a little more work to do, and a few more things to figure out.

blitzkrieg3002 and DSRamsey13 like this.
  5. Jun 4, 2020 at 5:49 PM
    caribe makaira

caribe makaira Well-Known Member

Member:
    Caribbean, Puerto Rico
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD Offroad AutoTrans
    Hood Struts, My version Fogs always ON, Map & Overhead Light Mod,
    Color, colors...look at the connector pins (number) then verify if they are same on an all black wire harness...

6. Jun 4, 2020 at 6:59 PM
    Puppypunter

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black SR
    Colors make it so much easier though... :)

7. Jun 4, 2020 at 7:14 PM
    RPVTaco

RPVTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD PRO
    Just completed my install yesterday and I gotta say I really love it. Adds a little luxury flair and it really lights up the whole side of the truck. My only gripe during the install was that the connection near the pillar airbag could be longer so that you could fold it over which would make it easier to tuck in when reinstalling the pillar cover. It’s really tight in there. I also had to remove the factory conduit on the wire harness coming down from headliner. Maybe not all trucks have it, maybe it has more wires because it’s from the crawl control. Just a guess. I removed the conduit and rewrapped both harnesses in electrical tape which made them more flexible and easier to tuck in the excess. Of course I lost a few clips from the interior plastic triangle. Gone forever, think they fell into a little pocket but haven’t heard them rattle yet. Ordered 30 replacements on Amazon for $10 so no biggie. If anyone breaks or loses them, I’ve got extra and can ship them to you. Great product and it gave me something to do during this pandemic. Haven’t worked since March 13th and being home with two little kids while the wife is able to work was driving me insane. Great work MESO!

MaulMalls, DSRamsey13 and MESO[OP] like this.
  8. Jun 4, 2020 at 7:32 PM
    caribe makaira

caribe makaira Well-Known Member

Member:
    Caribbean, Puerto Rico
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD Offroad AutoTrans
    Hood Struts, My version Fogs always ON, Map & Overhead Light Mod,
    Really...:burp:
    upload_2020-6-4_22-31-55.jpg

Tacospike likes this.
  9. Jun 4, 2020 at 7:33 PM
    MESO

MESO [OP] Major Modder Vendor

Member:
    State of Jefferson
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB TRD HELLCAT SWAP
    Just a side note.. part #2 is now color matched (white, red, yellow, black) just like the long 4 wire extensions it’s plugs into. I decided having those color would just be easier to identify too

DSRamsey13, RPVTaco and Tacospike like this.
  10. Jun 4, 2020 at 8:56 PM
    Puppypunter

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black SR
    The man has spoken :)

I spend a lot of time reading one lines and colorless diagrams of cabinets that are filled with black wires.... so many black wires. It's not that it isn't possible, but color just makes it so much easier sometimes :)

11. Jun 4, 2020 at 9:12 PM
    Afilao

Afilao Tacoma Driver

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    ‘18 MGM DCSB Off-Road 6MT
    How much are the lights and do I need anything else to install the switch? This would be my first mod so I apologize for asking stupid questions...

12. Jun 4, 2020 at 10:37 PM
    Puppypunter

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black SR
    The kit for the lights is $150 and the switch is $40. Comes with everything you need. As for it being your first, don't sweat it. Meso made this super user friendly.

13. Jun 5, 2020 at 6:11 AM
    DSRamsey13

DSRamsey13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '23 TRD Pro Solar Octane
    Center console organizer.
    On a scale of 1 to 10... 1 being installing tailgate letters and 10 to an engine swap. I give this MOD a 4-5. @Afilao ... make sure to watch the videos on utube to get comfortable with what you need to do. I know it's a lot, but try to peruse some of this thread to get some helpful hints & tips. And make sure you get the right tools. Then once you have everything you need... watch the videos again.

A good first mod to do is swapping out the interior lights to LED (maybe a 2 on my scale?). Not that hard, but it does give you familiarity with taking stuff out... and seeing if you blow a fuse. :smokertransformer:

Afilao and Tacospike like this.
  14. Jun 5, 2020 at 8:22 AM
    MaulMalls

MaulMalls Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD OR- Cement Grey
    I lost a few clips for the triangle too. For anyone doing this mod, when reinstalling the triangle door piece, take the white clips off the door and put them on the actual piece before snapping it back to the door. Otherwise while attempting to snap the door trim piece onto the door, you will push the clips through and then they are gone. Haha. I agree with the a-pillar being crammed but I don’t think there’s much to do there when adding a harness and everything! I absolutely love mine, along with all my MESO products. Thanks

15. Jun 5, 2020 at 9:03 PM
    Reklov

Reklov Well-Known Member

Member:
    PDX
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Off-Road
    Has anyone set this up on a switch pro? Auto for door and bypass on all the time?

16. Jun 5, 2020 at 9:25 PM
    jnjoiwngs

jnjoiwngs JnJOwings

Member:
    First Name:
    Jessie
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2018 White Tacoma TRD
    Hondo radio knobs, Rigid ditch lights, Cali-raised bumper light
  17. Jun 5, 2020 at 11:42 PM
    sbx22

sbx22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Norcal
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD DCSB OR 4x4
    Just finished my install today. Took the morning to do it. A lot of crammed spaces. My fingers are sore from pushing the wires through the looms of the doors. I saw the white plastics on the triangles too. I took them out like mentioned above, pre-placed them on the triangle for when I installed it back on. On another note, if you have fish tape, use that to get the wires up from the lower kick panel to the a-pillar. As mentioned above, the A-pillar was quite cramped. After the install, the a-pillar is kind of bulging looking. Oh well. They function great with the switch. Overall, a great mod but I don't think I'd want to do it again lol.

MaulMalls, RPVTaco and DSRamsey13 like this.
  18. Jun 6, 2020 at 3:46 PM
    dnguy77

dnguy77 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Duey
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Vehicle:
    '18 White Tacoma DC TRD Sport, '03 Grey Tundra AC SR5
    Any way to mod the puddle pod switch to work on v1 puddle pods?

19. Jun 6, 2020 at 3:49 PM
    SuperBad

SuperBad Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM Tacoma OR DCSB
    Truck stuff
    It will work for puddle control if you just hook it up, it just wont light up the switch. You will need to run an additional wire for the switch lighting. Details are somewhere in this thread.

dnguy77[QUOTED] and Tacospike like this.
  20. Jun 6, 2020 at 3:52 PM
    SuperBad

SuperBad Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM Tacoma OR DCSB
    Truck stuff
    Found some info for you.

Products Discussed in