1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

messy oil changes '06 with remote filter and pool

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by PRS, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Nov 19, 2008 at 7:56 PM
    PRS

PRS [OP] Member

Member:
    '06 6cyl

I usually have a local garage change my oil, but the past three times I have done it. I always made such a danged mess because the the remote oil filter base with the up right filter drains out old oil when I tilt it off the base. The base has that collection pool thing around the bottom, but its too small to hold all the excess and oil spills down on the garage floor. Then there is that pool of nasty oil in the collection collar around the bottom of the base. Today I had a Mitey-Vac ready to pull the oil out of the collection base, but cleaning that up is no holiday. There must be some method to the madness of this design -- how is supposed to be done?

prs

2. Nov 19, 2008 at 8:05 PM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    Below the base is cap you pull off going to a small drain, some folks attach some tubing to it leading to the drain pan underneath, I stick a small water bottle catches all the overflow with no mess. Once its gone, I wipe the base clean with a rag. Chris4x4 showed me how easy it was in a cool write up, search ultimate oil change thread. :thumbsup:

Here ya go
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/11201-ultimate-oil-change-thread.html

3. Nov 19, 2008 at 8:15 PM
    PRS

PRS [OP] Member

Member:
    xedge; Ya done me good, Pard!

I didna know the danged thing had a drain fitting under it. The owner's manual is piss poor! I also always put 6 quarts in and its not over full by the dip stick -- except I check it cold -- but the shop always charged me for 6 quarts too. Hmmmmm. Thanks!

prs

4. Nov 20, 2008 at 3:31 AM
    Joe B

Joe B Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have a 5/16 hose attached to the filter base drain and have it running down and plastic tied and leave the hose on the skid plate and pull it through the a hole in the skidplate when needed to drain.
    Convienent and an easy install.:)

5. Nov 20, 2008 at 4:08 AM
    CAMZTRD

CAMZTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    steve
    hampton, va
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC TRD Off-Road 4x4
    billy 5100's @ 2.5 w/ 1/4 spacers, toytec aal, LR UCA's, revotec headlights,revotec taillights, lamin-x fogs, color matched grille and rear bumper, undercover, bed-extender, black nerf bars, scan gaugeII , afe drop in, 50 series flowmaster, 6000k bi-xenon hids, more to come.......
    i stick an empty 20oz water bottle under the drain...it fits snug under the drain and is mess free....

6. Nov 20, 2008 at 5:28 AM
    Rtrn2taco

Rtrn2taco Nostalgia...

Member:
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    08 DC PreRunner (silver)
    :d :d :d :d

Products Discussed in

To Top