1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Metallic driveshaft pinging

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Jacob, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Jun 5, 2017 at 3:52 PM
    Jacob

Jacob [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hey guys,

I have a metallic ping coming from my driveshaft that is driving me up the wall. Truck is a mt '99 4x with the xtra cab.

It's this metallic "ting".... it sounds like the equivalent of putting cards in your bike spokes from the old days... but metallic. It's speed dependent - starts at about 10 mph and the increases in frequency as you go faster, also increases with acceleration. If you back off acceleration and coast (while still in gear) it decreases in intensity.

I've had the entire shaft out, replaced the rear U-joint, checked the others, which are good. The double cardan joint feels solid too, at least I can't feel any play.

The only other thought I had is the center bearing - mine has a bit of play, but seems like most guys have vibration issues when theirs go as opposed to noise.

I also stopped by a local rear diff shop. The guy there said it's definitely not a diff noise and agreed it was driveshaft related. We tried to recreate it on a lift as well, but no luck - will only do it under load.

Any ideas?

2. Jun 5, 2017 at 4:07 PM
    01GreenTacoma

01GreenTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Got a rock riding somewhere? I've seen them make weird pinging noises.

3. Jun 5, 2017 at 4:10 PM
    mechanicjon

mechanicjon They call me "Jonny Stubs"

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Vehicle:
    04 Taco SC 4dr SR5 TRD Prerunner
    Supercharged, AEM FIC/6, Meth Inj, ION Alloy's, Radio & Phone steering Wheel controls,Fabtech AAL, Billie's wrapped with 880's , Tundra big brake conversion, bully bars and Pioneer DDin Stereo/dvd with exterrnal usb ports. 290K and going strong.
    Possible slightly loose flange at carrier bearing. When you grease drive shaft good does the noise change?

4. Jun 5, 2017 at 9:22 PM
    MstrYota

MstrYota Great balls of fire!

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Ventura County, CA
    Vehicle:
    2000 TRD 4x4 Prerunner/1998 TRD 4x4
    Too much but not enough!
    Mine made that sound, kind of like a chirping, only happened at certain speeds and under load. I put a good amount of WD40 on/in the carrier bearing and that solved it so you may want to give that a shot, free and easy

5. Jun 6, 2017 at 12:27 AM
    Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 SR5 extended cab reborn!
    Complete OME suspension kit, Used low mileage V6 engine swap, black powder coated Chou Seiki T15x7JJ, ARB deluxe bumper, Smitty Bilt nerf bars, Weathertech floor liners, Torklift tiedowns

This is a good subject to discuss. I have the same problem with my truck. Can you post a picture of where the carrier bearing is located on the bottom of the truck please? Your solution is a very good fix that all 1st generation Tacoma owners need to know.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  6. Jun 6, 2017 at 1:14 AM
    mechanicjon

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged, AEM FIC/6, Meth Inj, ION Alloy's, Radio & Phone steering Wheel controls,Fabtech AAL, Billie's wrapped with 880's , Tundra big brake conversion, bully bars and Pioneer DDin Stereo/dvd with exterrnal usb ports. 290K and going strong.
    do a search in the first gen section. You'll find lots of info or google Tacoma carrier bearing.

7. Jun 6, 2017 at 10:58 AM
    Jacob

Member:
    I've greased all the zerks on the driveshaft, are there any greaseable spots on the carrier bearing?

8. Jun 6, 2017 at 12:17 PM
    COMAtized99

COMAtized99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    99 DCLB v8
    The Bed is stock...ish

Just at the CV joint, the carrier bearing is a sealed unit inside a rubber bushings. Right in the middle of your rear driveshaft. Can't miss it.

9. Jun 6, 2017 at 12:40 PM
    ThunderOne

ThunderOne Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitchell
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    1ST GEN OR GTFO
    Toyota NERD
    could be anything connected to the driveshaft. Output flange, loose u joint, loose carrier bearing, etc etc etc. Anything that's loose will make the whole driveshaft ring like a bell.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/driveshaft-ping-noise-5-speed.478050/

Besides listening with your ear and reproducing the noise while under there, it's going to be hard to pinpoint.

10. Jun 6, 2017 at 2:48 PM
    Jacob

Member:
    Yeah, like I said, driving me up the damn wall. I half thought about those little wireless microphone things to try and pinpoint the noise, but I've also heard they don't work well.

Thanks for the link.

11. Jun 6, 2017 at 7:42 PM
    mechanicjon

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Vehicle:
    All the ujoint's should be greaseable

12. Jun 7, 2017 at 6:24 PM
    MstrYota

MstrYota Great balls of fire!

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Ventura County, CA
    Vehicle:
    2000 TRD 4x4 Prerunner/1998 TRD 4x4
    Too much but not enough!
    Any luck yet?

13. Jun 7, 2017 at 6:44 PM
    CodeSeven

CodeSeven LOC: 33.781461, -115.867251

Member:
    First Name:
    Serge.
    Coachella Valley
    Vehicle:
    '00 Taco 3.4 4x4 TRD ( <3), '06 Taco Prerunner 4.0 (totaled)
    3 inch lift. bluetooth stereo. blue transparent skulls shift knobs
    it's definitely a bad bearing of some sort. thats the only thing that could make a "Card in spokes" sound in this situation. but a u joint doesn't spin like a bearing does. u joints only flex slightly to allow energy to transfer in a non linear direction. if you really do mean a "Card in spokes" sound, then the only thing that could do that is either the carrier or a differential/wheel/transmission/engine bearing.

14. Jun 9, 2017 at 7:08 PM
    Jacob

Member:
    Haven't gotten after it yet.... hopefully this weekend!

15. Jun 9, 2017 at 7:11 PM
    NM Lance

NM Lance Well-Known Member

Member:
    I think I know what is going on, I had this same issue. There are splines inside the carrier bearing where the shafts mate together. If these splines get any play in them, they will make the distinct sound you are referring to.

Pull the shaft apart and put some grease on the splines. If this is the issue, the sound will stop temporarily. I ended up having to replace the front portion of my driveshaft because the splines were ruined.

Edit: I am not talking about the slip yoke, there are actually splines within the carrier bearing. There is no grease fitting for these, so you will have to drop the drive shaft to get to them. I am willing to bet this is your issue.

16. Jun 9, 2017 at 7:18 PM
    NM Lance

Member:
    Okay, it's coming back to me now... The splines are what interface the flange to the front portion of the driveshaft. You will have to remove the nut to pull the flange off, then you can access the splines. This is right next to the carrier bearing, not within as I mentioned in my prior post.

17. Jun 12, 2017 at 10:00 PM
    Jacob

Member:
    Wait, are you talking about the flange where it mounts to the transfer case, and not the carrier bearing? (I think it's the transfer case, going from memory here). I've had the driveshaft pulled before. Feel free to shoot me a PM too. Thanks!!

18. Jun 13, 2017 at 4:56 AM
    NM Lance

Member:
    Just PM'd you Jacob. I marked up a pic with photoshop, but I don't know how to attached that stupid thing... It's the flange closest to the carrier bearing held with the four 14mm bolts. When you separate these, you will see a crushable nut that holds the flange to the driveshaft. Pull the flanged part off, the splines are just beneath.

19. Jun 13, 2017 at 11:00 AM
    ThunderOne

ThunderOne Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitchell
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    1ST GEN OR GTFO
    Toyota NERD
    Can you share with the thread? Just click "upload a file" and you can click "choose a file", from there you select the camera roll, then click ok once done uploading.

20. Jun 13, 2017 at 11:06 AM
    NM Lance

Member:
    Let's try this... It shows to have attached. The vertical arrow indicates the flange you want to remove. This is the part that slips over the splines I am referring to. Sorry for the confusion on this, I don't always explain stuff the best lol2003 Drive Shaft.jpg

Dalandser and mechanicjon like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top