1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

MetalMiller Spare Rack

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by skippermike, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Mar 25, 2012 at 3:45 PM
    skippermike

skippermike [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4x4 w/off road mods
    3" Icon lift, coilovers, reservoir r. shocks, AAL, Icon UCA, 17" Eagle wheels, extra electrical, inverter, ICOM VHF
    I recently got a MetalMiller spare tire rack to mount on the front bed rail of my 2008.
    Very well built, perfect fit for my 265/70/17 tire, nice powder-coating, more than fair price.
    Before going down to be a chase truck for the San Felipe Baja 250, I drove around for a couple weeks. No rattle or squeeks, didn't shake loose - all good.
    After the race, I noticed that the rail on the front of the bed, where I had attached the spare rack, was pulling loose. Apparently, the rail is attached to the bed by a number of machine screws threading into some bushings in the plastic bed front - these had vibrated loose, and stripped the threads. I put in new fasteners and drilled/thru-bolted two more machine screws in the area of the rack.
    Should be fine. Just passing this along to folk who might be more than mall crawlers, to put in a couple of reinforcements before doing much off road running.

Products Discussed in

To Top