1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Michelin LTX A/T2 or LTX M/S2

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by MJonesTrumpet, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Aug 4, 2010 at 2:38 PM
    MJonesTrumpet

MJonesTrumpet [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Central PA

Yeah the V6s kill ya I hear. I have a 4 banger. Fits my needs, I really wanted an FJ cruiser to be honest...but they got crap mpg. Until they come out with a diesel, I'll stick to my taco...and actually, I'm kind of really loving having it. A truck is actually super handy. Plus, it makes for killer drive in movies:cool:

2. Aug 4, 2010 at 3:02 PM
    moonman

moonman Active Member

Member:
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2008 SR5 4x4 V-6 Access Cab
    TRD CAI, TRD Exhaust, Hood Struts, 5100's all 4, Kenwood DDX-812 w/NAV. 5100's + and a leaf. HID Projectors, HID Fog's, 4x4 Light, WET OKOLE, Fog Lights anytime, Smoked Tailights, LED Lamps, Red Line Hood Struts, Piller Gauge's,
    I went through exact same thing when I was looking for new tires and I finally went with the LTX AT2 265-70-17 load range E and I am very happy with the results and I did not have any issues with size. I read every review I could find and this was the better choice. The only problem I had was with the TPMS not fitting in the 17" Toyota Sport wheels, there is a differance between the ones in a Steel wheel and a AL wheel, I upgraded from a 16" steel wheel to the Toyota sport 17" Al

3. Aug 4, 2010 at 3:05 PM
    Mush Mouse

Mush Mouse Club Soda Not Seals

Member:
    First Name:
    mush
    where ever you want me to be
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5
    its a Toyota truck and that's all the modifications needed
    I was looking at both these tires also,would like to see some pictures of both mounted on Tacomas,I actually seen some MS2's mounted on a GEN1 TRD and they looked OK the AT2"s arent really an aggressive looking AT anyways not really too much difference actually,I want to here some more from people that have them too,some tire dealers will give a 30 day trial period where you can swap out tires if you dont like them but will have to pay for remount and balance.

4. Aug 4, 2010 at 3:39 PM
    Silver06Taco

Silver06Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    WA state
    Vehicle:
    Silver 06 DC TRD Sport
    I just bought the MS/2's just over a month ago and love them. I had the original MS on my Ranger and those were great too. The MS/2's are very quiet, they don't have to be siped because they were made with the grooves. I live in the northwest and we're obviously known for rainy weather and the original MS tires were tough to beat. I'm sure the MS/2's didn't lose anything the MS's had. It's hard to beat a 70k mile warranty. I think my gas mileage actually went up with these. I recently took a trip across Washington State (West side to East side) and I nearly got 400 mile tanks (about 385 or so) cruising around 65-75 mph.

I like the more aggressive tread also, but for the driving I do the MS/2's were the ticket. I do drive on the sand/beach on occasion but no serious off-roading. I have them in 265-65/17 (TRD Sport). I'm ready for the mountain trips this winter!

5. Aug 4, 2010 at 3:46 PM
    Mush Mouse

Member:
    First Name:
    mush
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5
    I had the original M&S's too a great tire not very good in the snow but capable,I like the new MS2's also cause I really didnt like the White Lettering too much on the Old style the newer ones have less of a billboard look to them,can you post up any pics of your tires?

6. Aug 4, 2010 at 3:49 PM
    TacoCo

TacoCo Aspiring wrench monkey

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road DC V6 Magnetic Gray
    Snugtop XV Shell, Yakima Rack, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Michelin AT2's, Partially Debadged, HID conversion, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Rear leaf spring TSB, Foglights always on Mod, URD Short Throw Shifter, Toytec Coilovers on the way!
    I have somewhere around 5-6mm of tread left right now along with some feathering on the edges. They weren't very good on snow last winter, and there's no way in hell I'm going to run them through this coming winter.

7. Aug 4, 2010 at 4:00 PM
    Mush Mouse

Member:
    First Name:
    mush
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5
    If they wore out before the warranty wear out mileage couldnt you pro-rate the tires towards a new set? Im running Firestone Destination ATs now at 67K miles and Im at Lincolns brow on a penny measure Im sure Ill get over 70K with them they were a good tire for the money,locally they list at $148 a tire the AT2s are $200 a piece.

8. Aug 4, 2010 at 4:10 PM
    TacoCo

TacoCo Aspiring wrench monkey

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road DC V6 Magnetic Gray
    Snugtop XV Shell, Yakima Rack, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Michelin AT2's, Partially Debadged, HID conversion, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Rear leaf spring TSB, Foglights always on Mod, URD Short Throw Shifter, Toytec Coilovers on the way!
    Unfortunately, Michelin doesn't have a mileage guarantee on the AT2's. I'm going back to Dueler AT Revo's. I got 55k on my last set... I can't get away with running tires until they're bald around here.

9. Aug 4, 2010 at 4:20 PM
    knayrb

knayrb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Somewhere in the square states
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl-Cab Off-Road
    Pure stock
    I've put 26,000 miles on my AT2's on my 4Runner. Lots of tread left. I would have to say that there are the best tire I've ever owned. Great for the winters and occasional off-roading in Utah. I am going to seriously consider them on the Tacoma when the stocks wear out.

10. Aug 4, 2010 at 4:20 PM
    Mush Mouse

Member:
    First Name:
    mush
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5
    I noticed that the AT2s dont have a wear out rating I wonder why? They cost alot I think they should have one so's you can know if you got your monies worth,most ATs are 50K miles,yeah you need good Winter tires in your neck of the woods big time.

11. Aug 4, 2010 at 4:26 PM
    Juggernaut

Juggernaut Captain

Member:
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    18 PreRunner TRD OffRoad DCSB
    [​IMG]
    from the online tire size calculator

Just want to give accurate information as the OP has 245/75/16, not 245/65/16. 265/75/16 will make your truck sit about 0.6 inches taller than 245/75/16. If you are worried about mpg get the lightest tires in stock size you can find. Heavier/larger tires will effect city mpg more than highway.

12. Aug 4, 2010 at 4:44 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.

At 12,500 miles (about 3 months ago) I took off the OEM BFGs and put on Michelin LTX AT2s and I love these tires.

Traded my old BFGs in on the new Michelin.

PS ... Had the LTX MS on my 2007 Tundra and they were good tires, but I like the AT2s the much better.

13. Aug 4, 2010 at 7:44 PM
    MJonesTrumpet

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Central PA
    Wow, thanks so much everyone. There is really a lot of great info here. I still don't know what to do. I'll have to go down and check to see them in person and ask the tech guys a few questions while I'm down there. Keep the info coming! ^_^

14. Aug 4, 2010 at 8:07 PM
    tacosupreme54

tacosupreme54 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW GA
    Vehicle:
    Off-Road 4x4 SR-5
    OME 885's, 90000 and n182 shocks, CB drop, 295/75/16 Hankook Dynapro MT RT03's, 16"x8" Pro Comp 7089 wheels, Avid Off Road Light Bar, Magnaflow 12226-14'' Muffler dumped after axle, color matched grille, Team Realtree camo seat and steering wheel covers, Husky floor liners, towing hitch, bed extender, Tacoma bed mat, all black emblems, black sockmonkey decals, bedlined rear bumper.
    oops, lol. i was tired last night.

15. Aug 5, 2010 at 6:00 AM
    Mush Mouse

Member:
    First Name:
    mush
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5
    I dont know if you belong to one of those wholesales places but BJs Wholesale has a version of the MS2 called the X Radial LT2 which is a little better price than the M&S2 or AT2 not much and Michelin has a $70 rebate on them tires too.

16. Aug 5, 2010 at 9:37 PM
    Archangel

Archangel Insurance Agent

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    '13 IS250
    Ok, you asked for 2 cents, I'm about to give you 2 dollars.... Sorry, it's kinda what I do for a living (Manager for Discount Tire Company).

First off, I will tell you that I am a Michelin/ BFGoodrich person. My wife has the M/S2's on her Highlander, and I have the BFG All-Terrains on my Double Cab. The M/S2's are essentially twice the tire that the original version was. The ms2's feature a 720 treadwear rating, compared to the 400 the original ms. They also increase the tread sipes to a 3 dimensional interlocking groove, that provides 10% more traction in snowy conditions over the original. They also increased the full tread depth siping to provide even more wet traction, braking and overall ride quality. Lastly, Michelin is backing the M/S2 for 70,000 mile warranty. That being said, I owned a 2002 Toyota Tacoma regular cab and got 125,000 miles on the original version. I also have a customer that has over 100,000 miles on the original version of the m/s on a 2007 Tacoma Access Cab in a 16" setup. If you don't go offroading a lot, I would honestly say to stay with the M/S2's. I promise you that you won't be disappointed, and will have a tough time trying to wear them down. And don't be affraid to call Michelin if you feel that you don't get the life, longevity, etc. from their products. They are by far the BEST customer-oriented tire manufactuer out there. If you have any other questions, please feel free to PM me. In regards to size, I would go to the optional 265/70/16. It's the same overall dimensions as the 245/75/16, just a little wider, but not as tall. The 265/70/16 is a much more common size, and typically most tire shops are going to stock the 265/70/16 rather than a 245/75/16. I hope this information helps.

Matt

17. Aug 6, 2010 at 5:00 AM
    MJonesTrumpet

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Central PA

Haha that was 2 dollars and change! But great info. That really helped. Could you ask your wife how they handle in the snow? or if you know, that'd be even better. The only concern I have now I guess, is how the M/S2 handles in snow. I want a tire that will easily handle the snow, thats why I was looking at the A/T2 for its slightly more aggressive tread. If you can tell me that the M/S2 will handle the snow like a champ, I will be sold on the M/S2s! Thank you so much for your info!:D

18. Aug 6, 2010 at 1:19 PM
    Joehs

Joehs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    AL
    I have the M/S2's on my Tacoma @ 275/70/16. Strange size I know...I bought the truck from my dad's store, which is a lexus dealership. The factory tires were getting worn out, and considering I was about to purchase the car, had them put on new tires.

The M/S2's in that size are the factory provided tire for the GX470, which is the lexus SUV. So I had them slap a set on.

For what it's worth, it's a great tire for daily driving. It's fantastic in the rain, handles great on dry pavement, and from the experience I had last winter, handles snow/ice like a champ. Although, I don't see as much snow as one would in Canada.

Personally, I'm looking at selling mine and moving to a more aggresive tread pattern for offroading, as I'm alittle leary of shredding one of these if I take it anywhere too extreme.

But, for everyday driving IMO they can't be beat.

19. Aug 6, 2010 at 5:03 PM
    MJonesTrumpet

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Central PA

Good to know...I dont think even I see as much snow in canada...though I was considering some jobs in Maine...which...would see as much snow as canada...but If i lived up there...I would probably buy an extremely aggressive tread winter tire...speaking of which...why do they tell you not to drive all year round in winter tires? just a random question lol

20. Aug 6, 2010 at 7:19 PM
    Archangel

Archangel Insurance Agent

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    '13 IS250

Winter tires are studded and ride like shit in summer time. I will tell you that the M/S2's ride like a champ from personal expirience. You will not be disappointed with your choice.

Products Discussed in

To Top