1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Michelin LTX A/T2 or LTX M/S2

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by MJonesTrumpet, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Aug 9, 2010 at 4:20 PM
    Mush Mouse

Mush Mouse Club Soda Not Seals

Member:
    First Name:
    mush
    where ever you want me to be
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5
    its a Toyota truck and that's all the modifications needed
    X2 on all accounts that you said here,I hate to confuse you but I think the AT2 because of better snow performance would be a better pick for you cause like me youll be doing long commutes in inclimate Icy/snowy conditions I would think the AT2 would be a better choice the tread pattern is a little more aggressive but still mild for an AT tire. I dont think those AT2s would wear out as soon as 21K to be honest,therefore also no need for dedicated snow tires for extra cost too,Ive read alot about this on other Toyota truck sites,Tundra Solutions,Yota Tech have pretty good discussions about the two tires performance in different climates. Rule of thumb being that if you live South of the Mason-Dixon line go with MS2,North of it AT2,both have great highway ride even for the AT2,this is confusing as shit,Im getting the AT2 for my needs.

2. Aug 9, 2010 at 7:11 PM
    MJonesTrumpet

MJonesTrumpet [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Central PA
    Well put, I think I am going to agree with you concerning the south and north of the mason dixion line. I talked to the sears auto manager (who apparently is also the guy who is the in house tire expert). I told him everything I basically told you guys. He said either would work very well for you. He said he can not believe that the guy had to replace his after 21k miles. He said it HAD to have been a manufacture default, AND if he would have bought them from his sears, he would replace them at no cost. (good to know, he's a decent guy). He did however say, that the MS/2, even though they dont have an aggressive tread, it has more sips (or something) on it than any other tire out there, and they are all stragically placed. He said that although he has not had a lot of time with them out in the snow becuase they are still fairly new, he said they should actually handle better than the AT/2s in wet, snow, and icy conditions. He did say though, that it will not perform well at all in mud and that he strongly avoids ANY off roading in them. He basically said you will get stuck before you even get in. He said if I plan on any off roading, even light off roading that I would be better off with the AT/2s. We talked some more, and because I really only do like 99.999999% driving on streets and highways, I went with the MS/2s. The manager said that the AT/2s should last anywhere from 40-60k, and even more if you dont abuse them. He said the MS/2s should go anywhere from 80-125k, as long as I keep them rotated and balanced and aligned. I went with the MS/2s, and I will definately keep you all posted how they handle in the winter. I cried a little bit when I paid for them, plus the allignment...my heart stoped a little to I think. its was just shy of $900 after the mail-in rebate of $70. Allignment, 4 tires, lifetime rotation and balance, (and I think he added in new stems, which once I find out if he did or not, I'll be having him credit that back to me because my stems are fine, plus I want to use my TPMS from my stock wheels). I'll be sure to let you all know how they handle, Mush, let me know how yours handle as well!!! I'll be curious to see.

3. Aug 10, 2010 at 2:57 PM
    Mush Mouse

Member:
    First Name:
    mush
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5
    Ill probably be due this Winter on something the Destination ATs are at 67K and will go over the 70K+ mark easily I got to get my money out of them cause I havent worked in 1 year so Im on a serious budget till things change ,I still havent answered the ancient question of MS2 or AT2 as of yet,since the MS2 may do eqaully well in ICe/snow but not offroad,I do like to go light offroad sometimes on the Weekends nothing major just dirt/sandy trails,If I decide on the MS2 Ill get the the BJs Wholesale equvilent the X Radial LT2 same tire better price with the Road Hazard deal save a few bucks,and get free rotations too. Shoot us a report on the new tires when you get a chance anxious to hear about thier performance.

4. Aug 10, 2010 at 3:24 PM
    MJonesTrumpet

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Central PA
    Will do. They are ordered...absolutely killed my bank account. Then I was thinking, I probably should have ordered 5, because my spare is 245/75/16. It's brand new...never used it, so, i'm thinking perhaps they will give me some money towards it? we will certainly see I suppose. I'll wait a bit till I order another tire though...I have to work a few more weeks now to replensish the funding. I'll definately post how they work, and post pictures as well!

5. Aug 11, 2010 at 6:35 AM
    Mush Mouse

Member:
    First Name:
    mush
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5
    I hear that your talkin a grand plus for that setup,but money well spent you wont have to worry about having good rubber onyourtruck for years,I just kept my stock spare, same size as road tires Ive never used it,it may be actually out of air maybe Ill check it. I checked out the Michelin tire Website and read the testimonials about the AT2 tire some dude got 155,ooomiles out of his set! It just lists the warranty as a 6 year standard defect deal no wearout though.

6. Aug 11, 2010 at 6:43 AM
    jester156

jester156 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cumberland, RI
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra AT4. 3.0l Duramax
    I have the AT2's on my 4x4 DC and I am not a fan of the in the winter. rain, and dry weather they are fine. quiet on highway and no wonder.
    There have been countless times during winter driving that I have poor traction in the snow. I had run BFG's AT on my old tacoma and they out performed these AT2s except in tread life. I am going to wear them to the ground then go with something better for the New England winters. Even with a slight coating, the front tires just wouldn't hook up well.

7. Aug 11, 2010 at 6:51 AM
    MJonesTrumpet

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Central PA

Wait, you have the AT/2s and have problems in winter???:confused:

8. Aug 11, 2010 at 6:58 AM
    jester156

jester156 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cumberland, RI
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra AT4. 3.0l Duramax
    yes sir. i have missed turns at a crawl in 4hi b.c the front wouldn't hook up. Was driving in 3" of fresh snow, went to turn, front went straight, i ended up driving over a curbed road divider, love trucks, and went on my way.

9. Aug 11, 2010 at 7:09 AM
    Mush Mouse

Member:
    First Name:
    mush
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5
    I think they call that action of not stopping in a turn in snow is called plowing,my Original LTX M&S did this,but my Destination ATs will also do it sometimes there is ice buildup of slickness under the snow that will cause this,the best tire for any Winter time is a studded tire,almost all tires will plow in snow at one point or another maybe some more than others. It doesnt matter how slow or carefull you take the turn it happens.

10. Aug 11, 2010 at 7:10 AM
    MJonesTrumpet

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Central PA
    wow. im glad you and your truck were ok. Well, thats surely intense, I assumed the AT/2s would be pretty much awesome in snow and that the ratings by tirerack were just inaccuriate as far as those tires in wintery conditions. perhaps I was wrong:confused:. Well I'll definately let you all know how the MS/2s handle once winter hits. I'll have a good slightly under 2 hour commute 3-5 days every week through crappy PA winters (sometimes they arent so bad and just mild, but other times they just blow.) I may just end up getting a nice pair of winter tires if i have to.

11. Aug 11, 2010 at 7:12 AM
    MJonesTrumpet

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Central PA
    studded tires are illeagal in PA:pout:

12. Aug 19, 2010 at 7:06 AM
    MSUtacoboy

MSUtacoboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    MS
    Vehicle:
    2008 Silver DC 4x4 Trd off-road
    i know you've already ordered them, but if it helps, I put the 265.65.17 -M/S2 on my wife's 4 runner a few months ago. they still look brand new. i've driven in the rain with them a few times since and wow, it's like you're on dry pavement. not one time on a 6 hour trip(with 3 hours in the rain; some points i couldn't see) did i think "oh crap" while driving.

she drives 80(hwy) round trip each day and has only said good things about them.

nice purchase.

13. Aug 19, 2010 at 2:49 PM
    MJonesTrumpet

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Central PA
    Well, I got my wheels and tires installed today! as well as my 5100 front billies. Everything took WAY longer than expected...oh well. Though, i'm kinda pissed, ShopTRD.com only sent 5 lugs (instead of 6) for one of the tires...but I ordered wheel locks, so, i'm not too upset. I'm also a little miffed about Sears...they put on LT265/75/16s instead of P265/75/16s...I'm still not sure how I feel about that...at 60mph my steering wheel shakes like blender, however, I drove 40 miles on them thus far to drop off my avid off road light bar to get custom powder coated, and on the way home, it didnt shake nearly as much, so maybe they just need to be worn in and it wont be so bad? I do have to say, i'm more impressed with the thread look in person, as opposed to what I thought I was getting on the website. As soon as my pictures finish uploading, i'll post em up! Can anyone chime in for their thoughts about the P265 vs LT265. Pros and Cons of each would be nice, Im going to do some research, and decide if I want to take them back tomorrow and have them switch them for me. Thanks!

14. Aug 19, 2010 at 3:51 PM
    MJonesTrumpet

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Central PA
  15. Aug 19, 2010 at 4:20 PM
    Mush Mouse

Member:
    First Name:
    mush
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5
    Those look great Michael! My preferance are the P Metrics or SL Standard Load not LT Light Truck,because of the ride with LTs is going to be stiffer and harsher than the P Metrics,cause LTs got more Plys in the tire for aded carrying(weight) capacity,which the "E"Rated LT has is more weight than the trucks carrying capacity is,a SL rated tire matches up perfect and will carry any load that you can put in that truck,also the LT tire weighs more ,47lbs. compared to 39lbs. atyour size more weight for the truck to push and less MPGs,every 1 pound of weight over the stock tire weight 37lbs. is like hauling 10 pounds more in the truck. Personally Id get P Metrics the heavier tire may have something to do with the Vibes too the suspension is designed for an OEM sized and weight tire not too much more than that,you can get away with 1 size up ,but having a heavier,stiffer tire may cause those high speed vibes?or the Balance? They are great looking tires with alot of tread meat maybe you could forgo the Winter treads you talked about save the money, those MS2s can eat some snow right now!

16. Aug 19, 2010 at 5:14 PM
    MJonesTrumpet

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Central PA
    Haha thanks for the info! I did a little digging, and actually just got back from Sears to inform them that they put the wrong tires on my truck. The guys jaw dropped and he turned a bit white, then trotted out side to check my truck, as if I couldnt read the side of my tire, and came back in and appologized...a lot. Basically, the idiots there sold the tires I orderd, so they slapped on the LTs. <--- not a fan. Basically, I'm going in again tomorrow at 2, when the manager comes in, to tell him that he is over nighting a new set of 4 that I will inspect before they put them on my truck. Im getting the Ps. I got this fun little survey for sears from purchasing the tires. I'm going to have a field day with it. I'm bummed my friend wasn't in today. He would not have let them put on the LTs, but it could have been an honest mistake...but I dont know. The part numbers are COMPLETELY different. Oh well, the guy asked me to 'try not to drive a lot' on the tires currently on my truck. I'm curious what they think they are going to do with them? Sell them as new? Put them on someones car and tell them they are new? Not cool Sears. Unfortunately for them, I have to drive a 3 hour round trip tomorrow, about 200 miles. But again, thanks for the info, I'm definately going with the P. And about the winter tires, you are definately right. There is definate tread here, and it seems like it will tear through the snow with no problems!

17. Aug 19, 2010 at 5:31 PM
    Mush Mouse

Member:
    First Name:
    mush
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5
    X2 When you get the new ones give us a review on them:thumbsup:

18. Aug 19, 2010 at 5:36 PM
    MJonesTrumpet

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Central PA
    Most definately! And let it be said here. LT tires are NOT something you want to invest in (unless of course you put a heck of a lot of weight in your trucks and pull large heavy objects). I only have a 4 banger, I haul things, but not normally heavy things, just bulky things. Definately go for the P! A more elaborate review to come once I get the Ps put on!

19. Aug 19, 2010 at 6:20 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Depends on the load rating. E? That a bit much. I have E load on my truck and we have E load on the ambulance and they ride like Bricks.

Technically you got a deal since LT tires cost more than P rated.

I had the old LTX M/S and they were great in everything except snow. Had I gotten on here sooner, I would have told you AT/2 if you were doing winter tires. I found the M/S were horrible in any snow over a few centimeters, so I went BFG AT and never looked back. If our winters weren't so vicious or I was just doing city driving, the M/S are awesome. If not...yeah no.

Either way from what little I've read you'll be very very happy with your purchase. Wet traction on those tires is fan-fucking-tastic.

20. Aug 19, 2010 at 6:38 PM
    Irish020

Irish020 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    '05 Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Longbed
    ARE Hard Tonneau Cover Flowmaster American Thunder Super 50 Series Stainless Dual Exhaust Toytec Ultimate 3" w/ UCA's
    Never liked Bridgestone Duelers. Had them on my '94 4-Runner and got horrible mileage out of tires. Came on my '05 Tacoma. Putting Michelin LTX MS2's on Monday...same size as stock. My cousin is a Toyota Mechanic and says that's the best tire for the truck. Your thoughts?

Products Discussed in

To Top