1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Michelin LTX A/T2's

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by NMG, Sep 26, 2009.

1. Sep 26, 2009 at 3:24 PM
    NMG

NMG [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport
    Hey everyone,

Just thought I'd post some pics of the Taco with the LTX A/T2's I just got mounted up this morning. I decided to stick with the stock P265/65R17's. Although I have very limited time behind the wheel with them, I can already tell that they are a vast improvement over the stock Dunlops. The ride is nicer, the handling is better and the truck just feels more planted to the road and not as "drifty" if that makes any sense.

Here are some pics of them on the truck:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A close up of the tire and rim:

[​IMG]

It's hard to tell from the online pics you see of this particular tire, but in person the tread looks much more aggressive than the various pics online. I think this one gives a decent shot of the tread depth and design in a "live" setting:

[​IMG]

Finally, I took one looking pretty much straight down. If you look close you can see the triangular tread blocks that stick out from the side of the tire. These are quite pronounced and I suspect they would help quite a bit in snow, mud, etc:

[​IMG]

In summary, I think the tread design of these is MUCH MUCH improved over the old Michelin LTX AT's, a tire that worked very well for me for many years on and off road and in all conditions on my previous F-150. I'll update this thread as we start to experience more adverse conditions as the season progresses here.

sqa4life likes this.
  2. Sep 26, 2009 at 3:31 PM
    mwild

mwild I CANT SPELL SO DONT BITCH

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vernon, NJ
    Vehicle:
    03 2500 Dodge Ram
    Cat-Back, weather techs, ipod and sisuis Old 04 Taco: 5100s At all 4 corners set at 2.5", Toyotec AAL, Gibson cat-back, Deck plate mod, 20% Tint on fronts, 10" Kicker Comp sub, Sirius radio, Bud Built Skid, Pro Comp 8069 Wheels
    they look good. what did u pay if u dont mind me asking

3. Sep 26, 2009 at 4:06 PM
    vtragweed

vtragweed Beef Slut

Member:
    First Name:
    Willie
    VA
    Vehicle:
    08 2.7 SR5 Debadged
    afe pro-dry s filter, LCE headers, painted black steelies,color matched grill surround, URD short shifter, UWS black tool box
    great tires, i got a set for mine. havent found anything to stop them yet

4. Sep 26, 2009 at 4:29 PM
    12rayne

12rayne Member

Member:
    colorado
    Vehicle:
    2007 DCLB sr5 4x4
    canoe rack, bike rack, leather seats, 3rd gen suspension and rims
    I'm getting mine Mon. @ Discount Tire, The $70 mail-in rebate deal starts again Sept 28th. $840 out the door (tax incl.) minus $70=$770total. That's for a 265/70/16, I almost got the Bridgestone Revos with the $100 visa card deal ($700 after the card). Hope the Michelins are worth the price, I get a lot of snow.

5. Sep 26, 2009 at 8:57 PM
    NMG

Member:
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport
    Well they definitely aren't cheap . . . LOL.

I paid $257 (roughly $240 US) a tire from the dealer. If memory serves me correctly, they were around $250 something a tire when I priced them on the Costco website here in Canada, although they aren't showing up on there anymore for some reason. Regardless, historically the Costco prices are pretty much the lowest you could find locally here, so the dealer was actually pretty competitive all things considered.

Oh and JRD, the LTX A/T2 is the updated AT tire from Michelin. I believe it's been out for a couple of years now but it's quite bit updated from the previous gen LTX AT.

6. Sep 26, 2009 at 8:59 PM
    mwild

mwild I CANT SPELL SO DONT BITCH

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vernon, NJ
    Vehicle:
    03 2500 Dodge Ram
    Cat-Back, weather techs, ipod and sisuis Old 04 Taco: 5100s At all 4 corners set at 2.5", Toyotec AAL, Gibson cat-back, Deck plate mod, 20% Tint on fronts, 10" Kicker Comp sub, Sirius radio, Bud Built Skid, Pro Comp 8069 Wheels
    wow i looked at tickrack and they were 195

7. Sep 26, 2009 at 9:07 PM
    NMG

Member:
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport
    Welcome to living in Canada where everything is more expensive except health care, LOL :D

8. Sep 26, 2009 at 9:29 PM
    NMG

Member:
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport
    Yeah for sure. I've never regretted spending the dough on my Michelin's in the past. I guess it's kinda like shoes, when it comes to tires you definitely do get what you pay for.

I'll definitely post some updates as we head into winter here. Hopefully it desn't come THAT quickly :)

9. Sep 28, 2009 at 5:24 PM
    NMG

Member:
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport
    No worries at all johnv. I'll be sure to post updates as I get more miles on them. Oh and I also agree about the white lettering. I think it actually looks really nice, even on my white truck. It's small enough that it doesn't jump out and scream at you like some tires, yet it still stands out a bit. They've struck a really nice balance IMHO.

10. Sep 29, 2009 at 6:48 AM
    kxhansen

kxhansen Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Staten Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Dbl Cab SR5 6spd Silver
    WeatherTech window deflectors WeatherTech floor liners (front) and mats (rear) Alpine 9886 Pop n Lock 5300 Fold a Cover G4 GT Covers seat covers
    I had the older LTX ATs on my 94 Explorer (got them as part of the recall for the Firestone AT problem). The Michleins were a much better ride - much quiter and gave a much better sense of control and road feel. When the Dunlops that came with my 09 start to wear, I will replace with the new AT2s - and from some comments on this forum, that may not be too long.

11. Sep 30, 2009 at 11:51 AM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.

How much snow and ice do you encounter? Cause if it's none, go with the M/S it's great and it's what I'm running. If you do encounter white death then go with the AT2 cause they get a better rating for snow and ice. (The M/S suck for ice FYI)

12. Sep 30, 2009 at 3:07 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Sounds like you should get the AT2. No doubt about it.

The M/S are an excellent all season with wicked wet traction as you well know, but snow and ice they suck at.

13. Sep 30, 2009 at 7:06 PM
    12rayne

12rayne Member

Member:
    colorado
    Vehicle:
    2007 DCLB sr5 4x4
    canoe rack, bike rack, leather seats, 3rd gen suspension and rims
    I just got mine last week, with the $70 rebate deal, at Discount Tire. $780 with tax, mounted/balanced, TPMS seals, after the rebate. They do ride great (I think all new tires ride great) and make my spring TSB ride better on the highway. The highway "truck jounce" that goes with the TSB mod. smoothed quite a bit. The AT2's make a nice combination, I love the ride. I've heard that the Michelin's "roll" well and give us somewhat better gas mileage (I'll check). At 8200' elev. the snow traction is a big deal for me, so the AT2's were my choice for that reason alone.

P1010045.jpg
    P1010050.jpg

14. Oct 9, 2009 at 10:23 PM
    Seagrave

Seagrave Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC LB 4x4 Sport
    I wish I would have bought these tires in place of my BFG A/T KO's (they suck) but look good. Next purchase is for the Michelin's LTX A/T2 for sure!!!!
    Give us a good review down the road when you get some miles on them!!!

15. Oct 10, 2009 at 12:43 PM
    datwyl01

datwyl01 Active Member

Member:
    Kapolei Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5 DBL
    Tires look great on the taco. I have a set on order at COSTCO (265/70/16) for my stock PreRunner DBL, About $178. COSTCO won't install a larger size not recommended by the MFG (Toyota or Michelin). But that's okay, they are offering an instant $70 off a set. I'm wondering if I can also submit a mail-in rebate to Michelin? Would be nice.

16. Nov 28, 2009 at 8:04 PM
    NMG

Member:
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport
    Just thought I'd post a quick update on the LTX A/T2's given that we've had some snowfall recently. I'd say the most I've seen thus far would be about 4-5 inches, so it's certainly nothing major, but it was pretty wet and got compacted into slick stuff fairly easily. No problem at all for the tires in 2WD.

Obviously you still need a tender right foot or some slipping will occur (I did fish tail a bit on one turn that I took a little too agressively), but when using "normal" winter driving techniques, I've had no traction problems at all. The tires also handle great in slush and slop.

I'll post another update when we get a significant snowfall, some bad ice and/or when the temps really start to drop.

17. Dec 3, 2009 at 5:11 PM
    Fyrmedic707

Fyrmedic707 Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 4x4 AccessCab Speedway Blue
    I wouldnt mind hearing more reviews on snow/ ice driving also. I am here in California, and we dont get much ice, due to salting the roads and not super low temps, but we do get snow. So, just curious on how your tires are doing in snow.

I am getting a set of A/T2's installed next week. I had a really tough time deciding between these and the BFG AT's, but I think I made the right choice. I only go offroad about 3 times a year, and do plenty of snow driving to the ski resorts.

Cant wait to hear more. Ill report once I get them installed and some miles on 'em.

18. Dec 4, 2009 at 10:40 PM
    NMG

Member:
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport
    Well we got about a foot of fresh stuff last night so it was a pretty decent day to evaluate the tires. Leaving my house I have to go around a tight corner (which really gets your speed down) and then up a slight grade to a stop sign before proceeding further. This is a good little test because you basically have no momentum when you hit the grade and you can really get stalled out if you have no traction. Well, I was able to make it all the way up in 2WD with no issue or spinning. I was creeping along pretty slowly and I'm sure that if I was on the gas hard I would've spun, but the fact that I made it up in 2WD was good.

Around town the truck also handled fine in 2WD. Some of the intersections were a little slick and there was sometimes a bit of spinning while getting going, but nothing really unusual for winter driving and rear wheel drive. Around town once at speed, I had no traction problems nor did I experience any issues with accelerating moderately. When I was on the highway (they were plowed but still had some minor snow, etc.) they handled great. There was no slipping at all. I did notice that around town, starting in 2nd gear seemed to help reduce the amount of slipping on start up at slick intersections.

So keeping in mind that I always use a light foot in winter conditions, I think the tires are great thus far. There is still some slipping in some circumstances, but to be honest, it's pretty tough to get around that when you are dealing with compacted snow at intersections. Other than that, I felt completey comfortable staying in 2WD and that's with no weight in the bed. Should you need that extra little bit of traction or "security", I found that 4WD made the truck feel pretty much invincible with these shoes.

19. Dec 5, 2009 at 3:07 PM
    Fyrmedic707

Fyrmedic707 Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 4x4 AccessCab Speedway Blue
    Thanks for the snow update. Makes me feel more confident on my choice. I might only be in snow about 12 days of the year, so its not a huge deal, but its nice to know that they can handle it. Glad you like the tires, cant wait to get mine. Should be installed Tuesday.

20. Dec 6, 2009 at 9:28 AM
    09BlkSport

09BlkSport Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    S. Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2009 Black TRD Sport Double Cab
    Front Bilstein 5100's, rear 1" block, Westin Black bull bar, 18% tint all the way around, TRD CAI, (Black Go Rhino Dominator II nerf bars on the way)
    Just installed my Michelin's (265/70/17) two days ago and just in time... we had our first snow of the season last night. It was a slushy mess and so far they performed great, no slipping at all in normal driving. I already feel the difference from the stock Dunlop's. Im ready to for some deeper stuff to have some fun and see how they act! Deff happy so far :)

Products Discussed in

To Top