1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Mid Travel with BS Thread

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by MightyMouse-SCT, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Apr 25, 2013 at 4:38 PM
    Erik65

Erik65 Dog slave

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Oxford, MA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Timberland Mica TX Pro DC
    Stainless exhaust, 16" TRD wheels, 285x75x16 MTR Kevlars, Icon Stage IV, Icon Secondary shock hoop with adjustable remote reservoir bypass shocks, ATO shackle flip kit, AP U-bolt flip, AP Skids (IFS, transmission, T-case, diff cover)
    Hey all,
    I am installing the Icon stage 4 set up and have the S2 2ndary hoop set up as well. My problem now is which S2 shock to add. The Icon bypass remote res is >$1700 for the pair versus the smooth body remote res, with their CDC external tuning valve clicker, for about $1096 for the pair. Wheeling in New England so I don't expect a ton of heat buildup in the units (especially with a dual set up) but I can certainly apprecite the increased flexibility the tuneablity of the bypass type shock offers over the more basic smooth body. Thanks for any insights you guys can lend!:cool:

2. Apr 25, 2013 at 4:57 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    if you want bypasses

prepare your wallet

3. Apr 25, 2013 at 4:57 PM
    jberry813

jberry813 The Mad Scientist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    Resurrected LT TRD S/C 4x4
    TRD Supercharger, URD 7th Injector Kit, Total Chaos LT, King Coilov....too much shit to list.

Not trying to change you mind, but a secondary sounds like a waste of money for your needs. That said, if you're going with the S2 setup for tunabilty, don't run a smoothbody. The only real advantage the smoothy would give you would be for more shock oil...which as you mentioned you won't really have a problem with oil heat in NE.

Also there are other shock companies out there besides ICON. My triple bypasses Kings were about $1300

4. Apr 25, 2013 at 5:08 PM
    Anthony250

Anthony250 E-Fabber

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    San Gabriel Ca
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma LT Prerunner
    Eagle Alloy's 058 on Goodyear BFG All Terrians . 265/75/16. Kenwood Stereo, 12" JL Audio Sub. Led Lighting interior. Led Turn Signals. Custom Bumper ,Total Chaos Long travel Sway away shocks, glassworks fenders, ,Spintech Super Pro street muffler, Hellas 500ff HID Converted, Window Tint,Black Emblems, Deckplate, , Deaver Prerunner Pack, Bilstein 7100's 12" SB's and Sway Away 2" Air Bumps
    I added 8" Fox secondarys, yesterday. lol
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Apr 25, 2013 at 5:20 PM
    SDHQ OFFROAD

SDHQ OFFROAD Cuz Stock Sucks!

Member:
    First Name:
    SALES
    Gilbert AZ
    Vehicle:
    Caged and Linked 2008 4x4
    Camburg Long Travel and 9" Rear End, Caged and 3 Linked Icon Shocks PCI Race Radios Method Wheels Toyo Tires Mastercraft Seats and Belts
    Big Difference between the King's and Icon's for the set-up he has. Specific length to work with the shock S2 shock hoop and lower arm skid they mount on. The Icon bypasses also have a RR, since a piggyback style resi takes up too much room in the wheel well with the rest of the moving parts.

As opposed to King's, Icon's secondary shocks for the S2 systems also have a built in "bump zone" So really your getting a secondary shock and a bumpstop in one small bolt on package. With the CDC on the smoothie it does make it tuneable to an extent. not as much as a bypass would, but it will be tuneable easily for his street driving, then off on the trails.

Both the Bypass or the smooth body with Resi's and CDC will be a great next step and noticeable. No matter the desert or back east, in the mountains, you will always have "Oh sh*t" moments where that extra shock is gonna save a big repair bill or even worse a big hospital bill. None the less Erik is doing it right the first time.

Not bashing King, they are proven and work, but He already has Icon, the S2 setup, and a King just wont work with what he already has.

6. Apr 25, 2013 at 5:21 PM
    Erik65

Erik65 Dog slave

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Oxford, MA
    Vehicle:
    Stainless exhaust, 16" TRD wheels, 285x75x16 MTR Kevlars, Icon Stage IV, Icon Secondary shock hoop with adjustable remote reservoir bypass shocks, ATO shackle flip kit, AP U-bolt flip, AP Skids (IFS, transmission, T-case, diff cover)
    Exactly why I am still on the fence:D

7. Apr 25, 2013 at 5:21 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    but don't mind my fuckstick commentary, look at what they've posted. haha

8. Apr 25, 2013 at 5:23 PM
    Erik65

Erik65 Dog slave

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Oxford, MA
    Vehicle:
    ^ what he said :cool:

9. Apr 25, 2013 at 5:24 PM
    MightyMouse-SCT

MightyMouse-SCT [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabriel
    O'SIDE CA
    Vehicle:
    MightyMouse-SCT - 2011 LT 4x4 Desert Runner
    Long Travel Total chaos kit, fox shocks, smp fab , dmz sua, glassworks, method wheels.
    Go big or go home . Bypass all the way . North east weather though !

10. Apr 25, 2013 at 5:26 PM
    jberry813

jberry813 The Mad Scientist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    Resurrected LT TRD S/C 4x4
    TRD Supercharger, URD 7th Injector Kit, Total Chaos LT, King Coilov....too much shit to list.
    Understood....just a lot of money to dump into something just because it's bolt-on. Personally I'd measure bump/droop and just see what else is out there. $1700+ is steep for bypasses. And for the record, my Kings are RR also...with a bump zone.

And yes, we've all been down this conversation before with the CDC, and no matter what marketing crap gets spit out, it's still not a substitute for a bypass. If he's going to do it right the first time, a smoothy as a secondary is not the correct choice.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  11. Apr 25, 2013 at 5:26 PM
    SDHQ OFFROAD

SDHQ OFFROAD Cuz Stock Sucks!

Member:
    First Name:
    SALES
    Gilbert AZ
    Vehicle:
    Caged and Linked 2008 4x4
    Camburg Long Travel and 9" Rear End, Caged and 3 Linked Icon Shocks PCI Race Radios Method Wheels Toyo Tires Mastercraft Seats and Belts
    Global warming right? just preparing for the future!!!!! :D

12. Apr 25, 2013 at 5:30 PM
    atvlifestyle

atvlifestyle Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    01 trd tacoma
    supercharged with lots of midtravel bling.
    If you are going to spend money on a secondary go with the bypass. I am running a smoothbody with compresion adjustment and it does make a difference, but I already had the shocks sitting in my garage. If you are going to fork out the cash might as well only do it once.

[​IMG]

13. Apr 25, 2013 at 5:52 PM
    Mitch

Mitch Somebody call for a Wambulance?

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Tigard, OR
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab SR5 4x4
    Lights, Siren, Drugs, Needles, Electricity
    Are you using your stock LCA? If so, I take it custom mounts for the second shock

14. Apr 25, 2013 at 6:00 PM
    atvlifestyle

atvlifestyle Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    01 trd tacoma
    supercharged with lots of midtravel bling.

Stock lowers yes. I have a Total Chaos kit with a weld on bracket for the stock lower.

There are more pics in my build below.

15. Apr 25, 2013 at 6:17 PM
    Leoffensive

Leoffensive Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Leo
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 prerunner TRD sport
    Icon 2.5 coilovers with resi, Custom OMD rear leaf pack, Pelfreybilt IFS skid, Magnaflow muffler
    nice set ups!

lol i need to make me some more monies haha

16. Apr 25, 2013 at 8:40 PM
    FBGW01

FBGW01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kaleb
    East Mesa AZ
    check my build
    Alright guys, so im going LT and am in need of a kit asap! my truck is my DD and my midtravel is already sold off the truck because i was planning on getting someones used kit this month for a great deal but it looks like its gonna be a while..sooo looking for a used kit, preferably with shocks included, but i can buy those separately if needed. Im a first Gen 6lug. would prefer a TC kit or camburg, but other good kits i am willing to consider. Any lead to a used kit for sale would help!:D trying to get this thing back on the road soon. Thanks:thumbsup:

17. Apr 25, 2013 at 8:49 PM
    Mitch

Mitch Somebody call for a Wambulance?

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Tigard, OR
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab SR5 4x4
    Lights, Siren, Drugs, Needles, Electricity

Got it thanks. I've thought about getting their LCA for my truck to beef the front up a bit. I think I am a long way away from needing a secondary shock. But I have thought about strapping the front to prevent any damage

18. Apr 25, 2013 at 11:34 PM
    livel0veryde

livel0veryde caffeine nicotine gasoline

Member:
    First Name:
    josh Rockett
    mid missouri
    Vehicle:
    04 tacoma 4x4 WITH STUFF
    SEE BUILD
    why evan bother with running secondary? for $1700 theres allot of thing that could be done that would benefit you more.

19. Apr 25, 2013 at 11:40 PM
    CayucosTacoma

CayucosTacoma Just think outside the Yota

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    San Luis Obispo/Santa Barbara CA
    Vehicle:
    1998 Tacoma, 4x4 5 Speed, V6
    Specs in the Build Thread
    could possibly have a Camburg LT Kit with Brand New BJ's and SAW's w/ Fresh Rebuild For sale. PM me for more details not 100 percent if selling super soon though

20. Apr 26, 2013 at 7:50 AM
    916 YATES

916 YATES Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCLB Grey TRD Sport
    emblems and decals removed, added TRD special edition badges, Sway A Way's front and rear, SCS stealth 6's, Toyo A/T II 265/70/17
    front growling after lift
    [​IMG]Lifted approx 2" front is now growling. Is it just my CV's not happy anymore. Checked for anything rubbing like dust sheild backing plates. Did coil overs only. No drop kit. alignment is in specs. Tires and wheels still stockers. :confused:

Products Discussed in this Thread

To Top