1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Middle Of night insomnia

Discussion in 'Health' started by Nailbender, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Sep 25, 2018 at 2:30 PM
    Rakso

Rakso CeRaTi

Member:
    First Name:
    OsKaR
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner
    LSK LT in Progress, custom bed cage, DMZ SUA kit with 2.5 kings triple bypass, kings bump stops, baja bumper, rear custom tube bumper, glass all around, Weather Tech Liners, wet okole seat covers, Cluster LED Swap, HU LED Swap, hood LEDs, bed LEDs, etc etc etc
    THC

tcjacado and uurx like this.
  2. Sep 25, 2018 at 3:49 PM
    Panhill

Panhill Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Look into ambien as well, you will have to get it prescribed by a doctor but it will help you sleep.

3. Sep 25, 2018 at 4:44 PM
    Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak Don't taze me bro!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '10 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
    TRD Supercharger + too much stuff to list. Click sig pic
    You couldn't pay me to take that stuff. Too many potential side effects that can include doing a murder. A buddy of mine takes that stuff and has done some weird yet innocent stuff while on it. One time he ordered about $300 worth of AA batteries while on it and had them arrive at his doorstep a week or so later unexpected. That's funny but I've heard of super sketchy crap happening too. Hard pass.

tcjacado, PackCon and Clearwater Bill like this.
  4. Sep 25, 2018 at 5:13 PM
    PackCon

PackCon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    2017 Subaru Forester Limited
    Great overall advice for proper sleep hygiene. Thanks for taking the time to type it.

True about ambien. My doc was incredibly reluctant to give it to me.
    As soon as I realised I was sleep walking and at one point almost attacked my SO in my sleep... I had a friend remove the guns from my house.
    I can’t imagine what can happen while on a drug that prevents you from waking up.

Also apparently it causes people to take to Twitter and make horrific racial comments
    :rimshot:

tcjacado likes this.
  5. Sep 26, 2018 at 3:48 AM
    Nailbender

Nailbender [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I slept from 9:00pm to 4:45 am!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I feel great. Did the lavender thing on the pillow and took one Advil PM. I feel so good after getting a good night sleep.
    Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!! Going to try just sleeping tonight without taking a advil pm and see how that goes

tcjacado and PackCon like this.
  6. Sep 26, 2018 at 3:52 AM
    Nailbender

Member:

Wow good read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank-you for the information. I have been doing much of this over the past few years. Sleep maintenance... I have never heard of ZMA but i will look into it. again thank-you for your time and advice.

7. Sep 26, 2018 at 3:54 AM
    Nailbender

Member:

I did the 10 mg two nights in a row and same thing felt so tired the next day till about 3:00pm in the afternoon. I wont be taking that anymore. Doesn't work for me. The lavender and Advil PM work last night. Will have to see how it does Sunday night because those seam to be my worst sleep nights.

8. Sep 26, 2018 at 4:00 AM
    Mitch76

Mitch76 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    San Angelo, TX
    Vehicle:
    2021 F150 STX 4x4 5.0
    275/65-20 Cooper Discoverer XLT. Borla XR1.
    I agree with the lavender in the diffuser. Have been using it for a while and i dont sleep as good or fall asleep as fast when we dont have one on. Also, i have to read to go to sleep but it can backfire if its a really good book. Ill get real into it and lose track of time and end up staying up too late. I also dont even look at my phone or tablet an hour before bed.

9. Sep 26, 2018 at 4:10 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ I drink, and I know things… Moderator

Member:
    Looks like Alaska
    Vehicle:
    POS Jeep
    Great information! ZMA will be the first thing I purchase on Friday.

Caffeine is probably my issue. Love my coffee.

10. Sep 26, 2018 at 4:21 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ I drink, and I know things… Moderator

Member:
    Looks like Alaska
    Vehicle:
    POS Jeep
    A family friend was a high level executive for a medical company, a very stressful job.

I had no idea, but this has hospitalized her several times. This also cost her a marriage, her health is pretty much gone for how young she is. Pretty sad what stress can do.

She had the same thing happen on Sunday nights. Pretty much kept herself up thinking about work and stressing about the week before it even started.

After her divorce, she quit her job, sold everything, purchased a small cabin in the mountains. She now works 25-35 hours per week counseling teens on drug addiction/prevention.

11. Sep 26, 2018 at 5:11 AM
    PackCon

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    Read the reviews on ZMA on Amazon. Like read through a couple pages...

ZMA can cause lucid dreaming. Its hysterical to read some peoples comments.

I forgot about this suppliment and might try.

12. Sep 26, 2018 at 7:17 AM
    Ostrichsak

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
    Sure thing. ZMA is pretty amazing IMO and even if it doesn't help you sleep I would put a large sum of money on you being deficient in Zinc, Magnesium or both anyway so it can't hurt and it's really inexpensive. Just look at a list of the possible symptoms in being deficient in either one and you likely exhibit some of them including sleep issues which we already know of.

The fact that Melatonin did nothing for you leads me to believe your issue wasn't a lack of naturally produced Melatonin since supplementing it at a very high rate (compared to what your body naturally makes) had no affect on you. Often times this massive amount can be enough to help people sleep so they think it's the answer, especially when they don't know that taking it regularly can result in bad things long term. At best it's a band-aid fix for what the real issue is and as real consequences for long term use.

If sleep issues plague you caffeine at any amount at any time of the day is the enemy. Until you can get consistent quality sleep you should avoid it entirely. I know it seems like it wears off pretty quick if you just have some in the morning but the affects you don't feel that manifest in the form of poor sleep, etc. can last over 24hrs. This is why I say you should temporarily stop consuming caffeine in any form until the sleep thing is sorted. Once healthy sleep patterns are realized you can then experiment with adding it back in in much smaller doses than you currently consume.

That's why I made it a point to mention it since some people see that as a bad sign but without any other information. When you study REM sleep and sleep patterns it's probably more of a positive sign than a negative one however.

13. Oct 11, 2018 at 4:48 AM
    PackCon

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    As I’ve previously stated I’ve had problem with stress, anxiety, insomnia, and my BP is not where a 27 year old athletes BP should be.

I have always been a coffee drinker. Consume on average 7-10 cups per day and I also drink a lot of tea.

I recently forced myself to only drink two cups per day and no more.
    The first week sucked. I was really tired and fatigued. I’m a little over two weeks in and I feel a million times better. Anxiety is much better, focus is better, sleep is better, less fatigue, mood improved etc.

My sleeping is much better.

14. Oct 11, 2018 at 4:59 AM
    Blue92

Blue92 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2004 4x4 2.7L
    I had it alot last year. Ultimately what got me over it was just accepting the fate of not getting more than 4 hours of sleep a night when it happened. Getting anxious over not sleeping is the main issue for me. If I was awake at 1:30 and not asleep by 2:30, it was movie/homework time. Going to bed earlier, or not drinking caffeine did nothing to help it. Just stop worrying about not getting sleep and the problem should subside. Laying in bed and staring at the ceiling, and getting mad at yourself only makes the issue worse. I do take 5mg melatonin on Sunday nights though, usually because I stay up late on Friday or Saturday night, and I have to get back to going to sleep at 10 or so during the week.

15. Oct 14, 2018 at 9:40 PM
    dlopan

dlopan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2015 Pyrite Mica 4wd DCSB TRDSport
    Camper shell, CB radio. R-pod 179
    I have been on Ambien-cr for a long time. No side effects but they can happen to anyone.
    Can have more side effects if you are on other meds. So watch for that.
    If you live in a medical MJ state use that. Melatonin works for 1 hour on me so no on that. Don't drink any coffee or much tea. No sugar except for an occasional double chocolate cookie. Mostly 2% milk or water.
    I haven't heard of lavender oil at night. I'll try that if I can find some.

16. Oct 15, 2018 at 7:41 AM
    Ostrichsak

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
    ..one other note that I think I forgot to mention: Diet. If you are on a low or no carb diet this can wreck your sleep patters. The body needs carbs closer to bed for sleep so if you are on low-carb or intermittent fasting or both try to get your carb intake closer to bed rather than earlier in the day. Forgot about that one in this word wall. lol

17. Oct 15, 2018 at 7:56 AM
    toyotatacomaTRD

toyotatacomaTRD Senior Member

Member:
    My friend would take Ambien, then drink pop and eat candy all night playing video games. He literally had no idea he was doing it. His wife figured it out because he was stuffing all the garbage in one of the built ins under the TV. They put up a camera to watch so they could figure what was happening. He assumed he went to bed and slept for 8 hours. In reality, he was only sleeping 1 1/2 to 2 hours a night. Crazy stuff.

18. Dec 13, 2018 at 9:00 PM
    sr5tacoma17

sr5tacoma17 Active Member

Member:
    See your MD or PCP. See a therapist. Tracking is key.

Products Discussed in

To Top