1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

might enlist in Marine Corps

Discussion in 'Military' started by takern, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Nov 20, 2009 at 3:59 PM
    LB Taco

LB Taco Taco... since '97

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Long Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    '08 Red PreRunner LB- sick!
    Debagded, American Outlaw 17" rims with BFG 265x70, Ipod interface, GC upper and lower grille, black grille surround, Red Devil Horns, relocated horns, A/C mod, Fogs on anytime, Original 40 flowmaster, Hella 500ff behind the grill, with more to come with more $...
    My two cents:

seems like everyone is telling you to finish school and then go in as an officer.....but what is your long term plan??? If you are planning to stay in the marines for a while (beyond your first enlistment term) then going in as a grunt is not a bad idea. You will get more respect from guys you supervise by having been a grunt yourself and working your way up and going to OCS than enlisting as an officer.

whatever man....Good Luck!

2. Nov 20, 2009 at 4:00 PM
    bishtacova

bishtacova Don't buy a Ford

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC PreRunner V6
    4 leaf TSB, reflash ECM, Eurostyle antenna, thule roof rack, bed extender
    I'm not sure your troops knowing you were enlisted goes very far. In fact, I've found they aren't always the strongest Platoon Leaders because they're stuck in the NCO world. The less they were out of my hair the better...But yes, there are some good enlisted routes out there.

3. Nov 20, 2009 at 5:31 PM
    Doc.SS

Doc.SS ︻╦╤─

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    O'side
    Vehicle:
    T4R SR5
    I guess the point I want to get across is, finish school. If you really want to go into the military, do it. If you don't know what you want to do, the military has some great options to help you. Remember though, if you do go into the military, it's not something to take lightly and it isn't something you can quit because you want to. It is a commitment that requires your devotion. Not to just the job, but the people you'll serve with. They are your family whether or not you want them to be.

4. Nov 20, 2009 at 6:41 PM
    imsikotic

imsikotic If u cant stand behind our troops. Stand in front

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Temecula, Ca
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport DesertRunner
    4" Camburg Race Spindles and Icon 2.5" ext travel Coilovers in the front for about 5"of lift and for the rear All-Pro 3" leaf pack and Fox 2.0 Resi's converted to piggyback and custom valved by DownSouth Motorsports. 17x9" KMC XD Addicts w/ 4.5 inch Backspacing and -12 Offset. Wrangler Duratracs 285/70/17. K&N CAI, Exhaust, Carriage Works Billet Grill, Custom Bed bar with ProComp fog lights,DirtKing Fabrication front bumper w/ 3 HID converted Hellas, Demello rear PreRunner bumper, Tinted windows, Full System w/ 2 10s, Garmin 265WT, ClearHLM. Theres more I just cant think of it right now.
    ^^^^^^ What he Said

5. Nov 20, 2009 at 10:37 PM
    YayAreaTaco0311

YayAreaTaco0311 Motivator

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD 4x4 O/R Supercharged
    OEM TRD supercharger, OEM wheels painted black by me, yellow sidemarkers, arb bumper, LED interiors, roll-n-lock, 5% rear windows, mudflaps removed, protector alarm, mobile trace, blacked out front Toyota emblem, debadged, & tree air freshener.
    If I were in your shoes, I would finish school first and then decide to either go the enlisted route or the butter bar route.

You can enlist right now and join the reserves, too... That way you can still be in the military and goto school at the same time and maybe have a civilian career in mind if you desire to do so.

Semper Fi.

6. Nov 21, 2009 at 9:38 AM
    YodaMedic

YodaMedic Well-Known Member

Member:
    Travis AFB, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Regular Cab SR5 4x4
    Honestly dude, go officer. More respect, better treatment, better pay, better housing. I did a year of college and looking back it was a pretty good gig I had going , but I felt as you might college just wasn't what I wanted to do at the time so I enlisted as a medic (now in Afghanistan). You could do what I am doing and that is go to school while in the military, just knocking out 2 classes every 8 weeks online getting the best of both worlds...its free while you are active so why not?

7. Nov 21, 2009 at 3:01 PM
    Teufel Hunden

Teufel Hunden No Better Friend, No Worse Enemy

Member:
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    09 MGray DC SB TRD-OR 4x4 V6 Auto SR5
    Undercover tonneau, OEM tow package with hitch, OEM retractable roof rack, Front window tint (legal), WeatherTech FloorLiners, Door sill protectors, Tacoma bed mat, Rear leaf spring TSB, OEM DRL mod, Door edge guards, AFE Pro-Dry S Air Filter, Removed secondary air filter, Smoked LED 3rd brake light, Romik running boards, Go Rhino hitch step, Extra set of D-rings mod, Bed cargo net, TRD wheel locks, OBX sport pedal covers.

8. Nov 21, 2009 at 4:51 PM
    TheOtherGuy

TheOtherGuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cajun Country
    Vehicle:
    05 Access 4x4

This is a pretty good option. I enlisted in the Reserves and am using the G.I Bill for a mechanical engineering degree. When I graduate my options will be wide open; I can go to OCS or continue pursuing a career in the civilian world.

I know that in the Army you can get a "college first" addendum to your enlistment contract that will put you non-deployable for two years while you finish your degree program. Just make sure its in your contract. If you interested in this, ask your recruiter about it and make sure its in your contract.

I don't have the "college first" contract but I know it exist.

9. Nov 21, 2009 at 5:22 PM
    DOERanger

DOERanger Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Sport SB
    No Mudflaps, Fog lights on all the time, Map light/Dome light mod, Door sill protectors, In-channel window guards, Re-badged and sock-monkeyed,many more to come.
    Don't let bravado lead your decision. Don't look at grunts and think automatic "badass." Don't look at officer and automatically think "smart" either. I've seen stupid dumb-asses in every rank and every position.
    I can tell you that pounding the ground may give you a certain amount of camaraderie and respect, but 99.99% of the time it will erase a part of your brain. Trust me from experience and from every single one of my friends.
    I can also tell you that officers deserve respect no matter if pre-enlisted or not, as long as they try to earn that respect at every turn. It's a thankless job and will earn you sneers, jeers, and lonely nights.
    Beyond all finish school first, then make your decision. Learn all you can in school. The actually do teach you things there you can learn nowhere else.

10. Nov 21, 2009 at 7:09 PM
    RussBow6

RussBow6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Russ
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Black 4x4 TRD OR
    TRD Exhaust, TRD Intake, Grillcraft upper, WO seats
    your almost done with your degree. for that fact alone finish it. always finish what you start. if you quit on your degree now you might not ever go back.

11. Nov 22, 2009 at 8:56 PM
    takern

takern [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Offroad stepside
    Deckplate mod, sliders, uniden cb, toolbox, dakar leaf pack, in search of coilovers, 255/85 16 bfg m/t waiting to go on
    thanks for the advice everone. i do know that i will be in the military. its all i ever really wanted to do and i plan to do 20+ years and make it a career. the big debate for me right now is do i want to sit in an office and do paperwork but still be in charge and be responsible for the lives of everyone. i would like that challenge but i want to get out on the ground and do my own share of work. i am not sure of how much i can get with that being an officer. my dad did 24 years in the AF and retired a full bird col but after captain he did a lot more paperwork than flying.

If i enlist i can get out there and do the dirty work. My favorite thing to do is to go out camping/hunting for a week or two at a time and i always feel bad when i am not able to carry some of the weight. i feel like as an enlisted nco i would be more hands on and be able to carry more of the weight... idk. im gonna finish this year out for sure and then make a choice

12. Dec 6, 2009 at 6:03 PM
    Re8elmonk0341

Re8elmonk0341 "Kill BABIES"

Member:
    First Name:
    m0nk
    Skiatook, Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    '17 Silver Tacoma SR 4x4
    Yeah finish your degree and go the OCS whatever route and be a BOOT ass butter bar and try to boss NCO's around with all of you experience and leadership knowledge!!! I hear that all the time...."I want to be an officer so I can be a leader" well I'm a Sgt of INFANTRY Marines and what. I don't have any freakin leadership. NCO's is the back bone of the Corps. But that's just my uneducated no leadership having opinion 'cause I'm not an officer.

13. Dec 6, 2009 at 6:09 PM
    Re8elmonk0341

Member:
    First Name:
    m0nk
    Skiatook, Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    '17 Silver Tacoma SR 4x4

Wow listen to him hahahah More respect....honestly I respect a LCpl (E3) thats been deployed a few times and maybe a fireteam leader then a fresh out of college office with no experience, Better treatment....I only sulate 'cause I have to. Better pay...so it's about the monry huh. Better housing...Barrack living with the guys I fight with is better IMO.

14. Dec 6, 2009 at 9:31 PM
    YayAreaTaco0311

YayAreaTaco0311 Motivator

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD 4x4 O/R Supercharged
    OEM TRD supercharger, OEM wheels painted black by me, yellow sidemarkers, arb bumper, LED interiors, roll-n-lock, 5% rear windows, mudflaps removed, protector alarm, mobile trace, blacked out front Toyota emblem, debadged, & tree air freshener.
    Don't make me get you online for police call...how about aye aye Lance Corporal, some shit like that... :p

15. Dec 7, 2009 at 10:26 AM
    Re8elmonk0341

Member:
    First Name:
    m0nk
    Skiatook, Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    '17 Silver Tacoma SR 4x4

Lol...You mean Lance Criminal!!!

16. Dec 7, 2009 at 10:29 AM
    Agent475

Agent475 "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Hood Struts, 3" Tuff Country Lift, Shortie Antenna, WeatherTechs, Tinted front windows, custom TRD seat covers, custom pedals, debadged, custom USMC badging, quasi-functional hoodscoop (i.e. I cut it open), black front Yota emblem, Tailgate Theft-Prevention mod, Horn Relocation mod, Old Man Emu Carrier Bearing Drop, Brighter Backup Lights Mod, Smittybilt Reciever Hitch Tow Point, currently working on Satoshi Grill Mod
    +1

17. Dec 15, 2009 at 10:18 PM
    usmcgoose

usmcgoose One shot is all I need

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4X4
    The best advice I would have for you is to enlist into the reserves while in school. It will award you the opportunity to finish your degree and use the GI bill to do so. With the new program under the GI Bill, reservist can obtain tuition assistance (they'll pay for it and give you living money).
    Taking this route will give you an idea if it's right for you. You will get more respect as an officer being prior enlisted (there's a good cookie ribbon we look for). If you decide not to go officer and still finish the degree, it helps you when it comes to promotion boards.
    My advice is to do this and finish your degree. If you decide it's not for you. Or your unit and career planner screw your career, you can find a job like I have working as a civilian Nuclear Engineer on Navy boats.
    If you would like more information, I'm an open book. Just ask.

18. Dec 15, 2009 at 10:42 PM
    Jedi7Taco

Jedi7Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC LB sport Indigo Ink
    Stuff...
    ^x 100, I have been around plenty of butter bars that got know respect, enen a few captains, cause they never went to the field, always stayed in the rear with the gear. If I had to do it again I would have went enlisted, made it to Ssgt (E-6), then put in a warrant officer package, that is the best rank in military IMO. Best of both worlds, nobody fucks with you and you get mad respect for being prior enlisted and hard, (and pay is almost as good as officers).

Or you can do what I did, go in for four years (Field Radio Operator), get out, get a degree (Electronic Engineering), work in a resturant while attending school, fuck all the girls that work there over and over (life of a college waiter), become an EE now for the last 4 years, get married, and now trying to get back in as an officer, looking at the officer in air force or warrant officer in army (hopefully my fellow devil dogs don't flame the shit out if me). It would take me forever to make warrant in the corps at this point.

19. Dec 15, 2009 at 10:49 PM
    usmcgoose

usmcgoose One shot is all I need

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4X4
    That depends on what rank you were when you got out, status of record when you separated. The fact that you have a degree will only add to your chances. You only need to be an E-5 in order to submit a package for the WO program.

Just never forget your roots

Products Discussed in

To Top