1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

mileage/odometer

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Colinwoods84, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Aug 7, 2009 at 7:46 AM
    Colinwoods84

Colinwoods84 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2008 Sport Double Black
    So I previously posted with some issues oh how things went out on the dash. Well i got my hands on some schematics but the trip/odometer are still not working. Im 99% sure the harness behind the dash is all good. Ive been doing continuity checks all through out and everything seem sto be good. So does anyone else have any idea what could be going on here? Is there a component in the trans that measures the mileage? I assume there is and signal is fed to the computer but I have no idea on how this system works and am probably wrong. Either way the odometer and tripometer are not working and its driving me nuts since im constantly measuring my gas mileage. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Aug 7, 2009 at 8:05 AM
    Taco's for All

Taco's for All Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lake George, NY
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Off Road Double Cab
    Nothing at the moment
    You have a 2008? Still under warranty? Anyways, I'm pretty sure that new vehicles all send the data (odometer reading) to the vehicles main computer that controls everything. I know a buddy of mine had a short in his entire dash a while back, bought a used gauge cluster and HIS mileage showed up on the odometer, not the mileage of the vehicle that it came out of.

3. Aug 7, 2009 at 9:01 AM
    Colinwoods84

Colinwoods84 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2008 Sport Double Black
    yeah its still under warranty but with my work schedule I cant afford to not have a car and Id rather fix things myself. But the data cable that sends the info, do you know where to the trans it hooks up. I wanna check those wires cause thats what I assumed was bad. I figured it was not a cable issue since i got the other things that were messed in the guage fixed. I had replaced the led's in the dash and all was working fine until one day and I basically reseated the harness and everything came back on but the mileage/trip.

4. Aug 7, 2009 at 5:02 PM
    EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest USA
    Vehicle:
    '01 & '04 S-Runners
    01 SR: Double Cab conversion, S/C, lowered.
    Is your speedometer working?

In the 2005+ Tacomas, the vehicle speed signal is fed first to the cluster, and then onward to the ECM.

My guess is something's messed up / disconnected / shorted / whatever on your cluster circuit board.

Products Discussed in

To Top