1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Miles before the 'light' comes on?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Mellow, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Mar 23, 2008 at 7:13 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    It'll be something 'different' to get used to. In any other vehicles I've had, when the light comes on - I get in a "oh shit" mode and wonder if I'll make it to the cheaper gas station or whether I could go directly to the next available (just in case). Normally, I'll go to the first available.

But now, I guess I can relax a bit.... I have a Scangauge also with DTE setup although it did say I had something like 40 miles left when the light came on. It's not as accurate as it could be - it'll force me to get gas sooner instead of pushing my limits.

I've never run outta gas either. What used to be a cheaper gas station (Wawa), no longer is cheaper. All of a sudden, all the major stations have been sitting at $3.19 a gallon.

2. Mar 23, 2008 at 7:20 AM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    Yeah, it's something to get used to. But when you try to fill up instead of putting $5-$10 in every day (well, more now...) you learn to stretch the tank! :laugh: Took my wife a long time to learn to reset the trip when the light comes on in the car. She wouldn't fill up until the light came on, I'd get in with the light on, and there were 1000+ miles on the trip. :rolleyes: I had not idea if I'd even make out of the driveway! :laugh: Now she resets it because we know we have between 90 and 120 miles left when the car's light comes on. So it's great for the car. Not so useful for the truck. I tend to fill up at 1/4 tank regardless of the light now since I don't have as big a reserve mileage wise.

3. Mar 23, 2008 at 8:27 PM
    j4x4ar3

j4x4ar3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    05 DC 4x4 - TRD Off Road - White
    Round Step Bars, Bed Mat, Cargo Bars, Rocky Mounts bike mount, JVC MP3 Head Unit, TRD Cat Back Exhaust, Rigid Industries front and rear light pods, dual HAM radio with remote mount heads.

Try using the gallons to empty setting on the Scangauge and you'll get better results. I just got my Scangauge about a week or so ago and I find that setting to be more accurate than the DTE. Reason being is that MPG differs each trip you take whether it be city or highway driving. The Scangauge though knows how much fuel was used and can calculate how much is left in the tank easier than estimating how many more miles you can travel.

BTW try living in California where the major stations are $3.55/gallon. I use mid grade which today was $3.69/gallon.

4. Mar 24, 2008 at 6:54 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    My light goes on @ about 305/310......Your gas was cheap for mid grade. I paid 3.80 na gallon today in so cal !!!!

5. Mar 25, 2008 at 9:40 AM
    nagelg

nagelg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport
    :eek:-three Eighty-:eek:...wow!!! We were at $2.96 for 87 and $3 for mid grade yesterday.

6. Mar 25, 2008 at 2:11 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    With a bigger tire, if your speedometer wasn't recalibrated, you're actually travelling slightly farther than your odometer indicates (about 260 if your original tires were 265/70/17). Here's a tire size calculator to see how much it's changed:
    http://www.paspeedo.com/calculator.htm

7. Mar 25, 2008 at 2:16 PM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    I might get about 300 miles before the light comes on. Last tank I was right at 297 miles.

Products Discussed in

To Top