1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Military Peeps: What is your opinion of the State Guard?

Discussion in 'Military' started by Yamaha Dave, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Oct 16, 2011 at 4:53 PM
    Yamaha Dave

Yamaha Dave [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevermind got my questions answered. Just talked with an old AF buddy that answered everything I wanted know. Thanks!

:turtleride:

2. Oct 16, 2011 at 8:19 PM
    Taco Gunner

Taco Gunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2006 Access Cab TRD Offroad
    What is the State Guard?

3. Oct 16, 2011 at 8:42 PM
    Yamaha Dave

Yamaha Dave [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:

That's not really the response I was looking for lol, but here you go.. :laugh:

State Defense Forces (SDF) (also known as State Guards, State Military Reserves, or State Militias) in the United States are military units that operate under the sole authority of a state government; they are partially regulated by the National Guard Bureau but they are not a part of the Army National Guard of the United States.[1] State Defense Forces are authorized by state and federal law and are under the command of the governor of each state.
    State Defense Forces are distinct from their state's National Guard in that they cannot become federal entities (all State National Guard units can be federalized under the National Defense Act of 1933 with the creation of the National Guard of the United States.[2] The federal government recognizes State Defense Forces under 32 U.S.C. § 109 which provides that State Defense Forces as a whole may not be called, ordered, or drafted into the Armed Forces of the United States, thus preserving their separation from the National Guard. However, under the same law, individual members serving in the State Defense Force are not exempt from service in the Armed Forces. NGR 10-4 further states: "State regulations should provide for immediate discharge of SDF members who have been appointed, inducted, enlisted, ordered, or called in the Armed forces [sic] of the U.S., or a Reserve component thereof."
    Nearly every state has laws authorizing State Defense Forces, and 22 states, plus Puerto Rico, have active SDFs with different levels of activity, support, and strength. State Defense Forces generally operate with emergency management and homeland security missions. Most SDFs are organized as Army units, but Air and Naval units also exist.[3]

4. Oct 18, 2011 at 5:06 AM
    Outsider

Outsider Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2021 DCSB Tacoma Off-road Cement AT
    I wanted an MT.
    I was a member of the WV air national guard for 4 years....where i racked up over 2.5 years of active duty, saw 8 different countries, and took 2 8 month deployments and a bunch of 3-4 month deployments....its not weekend warriors anymore. If this was what you were looking for.

5. Oct 18, 2011 at 5:31 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    Vermont has a very involved State Guard comprised of many retirees, specialized occupations, and plain old regular folks who did not serve as active or reserve forces but choose to give what they can today.

I see many of them around post volunteering at Deployment ceremonies, special events, and state emergencies. They get no pay or points. Vermont's group is an organized entity with a chain of command, a uniform (not military more khakis & embrodiered polo shirt, ball cap) & montly gatherings. I saw my old college advisor at a deployment ceremony. :eek:

I also have a friend who is a medical professional who had a disqualifying condition preventing him from joining the actives so he volunteers his services for veterans.

Ours is a very proud and involved community group. :thumbsup:

It is not the National Guard or Reserve fwiw.
    Thanks to all who serve in whatever capacity! :oldglory:

Products Discussed in

To Top