1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Military Posers On Halloween

Discussion in 'Military' started by YayAreaTaco0311, Nov 2, 2009.

1. Dec 13, 2009 at 3:01 AM
    Caduceus

Caduceus Well-Known Member

Member:
    in the Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD 4x4

2. Dec 13, 2009 at 6:24 AM
    DOERanger

DOERanger Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Sport SB
    No Mudflaps, Fog lights on all the time, Map light/Dome light mod, Door sill protectors, In-channel window guards, Re-badged and sock-monkeyed,many more to come.
    I'll try not to say the same thing, just maybe explain a little differently.
    It's not the wearing of a piece of a uniform, or a "debadged" complete uniform, it the presentation of some fat ass, shaggy piece of shit that anyone looking at could tell he was worth nothing yet wearing our nations proudest and most honorable clothes. It is drilled in our head at a very early stage in the military that our uniforms reflect our committal to our service of our country (that's you and everyone else) and our discipline. We wear those uniforms proudly, sticking out our chest, because we know that you civilians respect the fact we are willing to rush into battle for you, to die for you and that we aren't the first to volunteer our life, but we have a proud lineage to uphold. It is something that is as close to sacred (sans religion) as you can get.
    If some guy just wears the uniform without anything on, cool. Whatever. But name tags, service ribbons, etc., is misrepresentation of something that no civilian will really get. It is the misrepresentation of the honor and (to quote the law) the valor generations upon generations have paid for with their very life.
    Maybe we hear "gave his life" way too much, or "died in military service." Maybe the root meaning has escaped us due to the desensitization of this fast paced modern world. Think of your whole life ending, of your own accord, for complete strangers. Everyone you know, all your accomplishments, fears, property, family, debt, everything you know sliding away into oblivion, for people that probably won't ever even know your name or that you existed. It is the most one person can give, ever. That is no "High Horse."
    We do not separate ourselves from civilians in importance. But we respect that uniform and every drop of blood that was put into making it what it is today.

Ok, rant done.

3. Dec 13, 2009 at 9:45 AM
    Neked09

Neked09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2017 4X4 Off-Road

Good catch.

4. Dec 13, 2009 at 10:00 AM
    Afwrestler1986

Afwrestler1986 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Johnstown, NY
    Vehicle:
    01 trd 4X4 ex cab manual
    Gray wire, Some lights in the bed area, and some character marks throughout.
    See, I don't know enough about the Army to even catch anything wrong there. I know Air force, but not Army.

5. Dec 13, 2009 at 6:29 PM
    cakmakli

cakmakli Finally made it - U.S. Army Retired

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    1. When you ask an Army Officer what is their Branch, they will say Infantry, Military Police, AG, etc.

2. Officers don't have MOS's. They have an AOC.

3. 11B is an enlisted MOS. An Infantry Officer would have been 11A

No doubt that this guy was enlisted at one time because he knew a lot but he was no officer. He may have still be in the service for all I know and thought he had a better chance of getting help if he passed himself off as an officer but once he lied that was it for me.

6. Dec 13, 2009 at 6:38 PM
    Schully

Schully Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 2.7 AC 4x4
    give me a break dude... it's halloween and they wanted to dress up as soldiers... if you haven't noticed nobody dresses up as what they really are on halloween. I don't think there's any pun intended when they wear the uni. Chill out.

7. Dec 13, 2009 at 6:48 PM
    WITacoma2007

WITacoma2007 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Southeastern WI
    Vehicle:
    2007 4x4 Tacoma Double Cab w/ Sport Package
    I put the Westin Bull Bar and Side Steps (in black) on.
    I totally hear what you are saying from your perspective. People that serve in the military deserve a certain amount of respect for the sacrifices that they have made. However, I do believe that you have to cut a little bit of slack on Halloween man. People wear Spiderman outfits too, but that doesn't mean that they think they are a superhero. Remember, someone copying you is the highest form of flattery. They are not doing it to bring down the military service. They think that it is cool and tough. These items are readily available to all civilians at surplus stores and you can't expect that no one will purchase them. I do believe that all markings, ranks, names, chevrons, etc. should be removed and not be able to be sold. Those items indicate that a person has sacrificed for their country. It is definitely disrespectful to impersonate any military personnel.

I have never been in the military. I have friends that are. I am a firefighter and I know in a different way what it is to risk your personal safety for someone that you don't know. It is often a thankless job. To all of you out there that do serve, have served, and will serve..... THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart. I wouldn't want to know what our world would be like without your sacrifices.

8. Dec 13, 2009 at 6:53 PM
    Caduceus

Caduceus Well-Known Member

Member:
    in the Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD 4x4
    OK, thanks. I knew 11B was infantry, but didn't realize the officers were different. We have some army folks passing through our base, and whenever I ask their job I'm always scratching my head....

9. Dec 13, 2009 at 6:53 PM
    blackhawke88

blackhawke88 wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    when I was ROTC the cadets would wear their ACU's to the bars but they would remove their patches

10. Jan 3, 2010 at 6:25 AM
    cakmakli

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    Here is a new take on the "Military Poser"

LINK

[​IMG]

By Kate Wiltrout
    The Virginian-Pilot
    © December 4, 2009
    In early November, retired Senior Chief Jeffrey Sparenberg was the guest of honor at military heritage day in Delaware.

Sparenberg spent 23 years in the Navy, including time on the destroyer Cole, and he was at Fort DuPont State Park that day to donate a flag that he said flew over the Cole shortly after it was attacked nine years ago.

The flag, he hoped, would be put on view at the planned Delaware Military Museum.

A photograph from the ceremony shows Sparenberg on the steps of a shuttered brick building. The left side of his chest is covered with military medals - including a Bronze Star and Purple Heart, purportedly from the actions he took and the injuries he suffered in that lunchtime attack.

Seventeen sailors died in the suicide bombing on Oct. 12, 2000, during a refueling stop in Aden, Yemen.

Sparenberg's detailed account of that fateful day was published on Nov. 16 in a front-page story in The News Journal of Wilmington, Del.

Now Sparenberg is back in the spotlight: The Navy and the ship's former commander say he was not on the Norfolk-based ship at all on the day it was struck.

They don't know whether the flag he donated actually flew aboard the Cole. And the two most significant medals he wore to the Delaware ceremony are also in doubt.

Lt. John Daniels, a Navy spokesman at the Pentagon, said Sparenberg's orders for the Cole show him joining the ship on Oct. 16, 2000 - four days after the bombing.

Retired Cmdr. Kirk Lippold, the Cole's skipper at the time, said he distinctly remembers being told after the attack that a new crew member was in Bahrain, waiting to join the ship.

Someone back in the States asked whether they should send the sailor back to the U.S., but Lippold - who'd just lost 17 crew members, including a senior chief - knew he could use more help. He gave approval for Sparenberg to join the crew.

"During the time he was on board the ship following the attack, he did an excellent job in helping the ship through some difficult times," Lippold said.

However, he added, "I know for a fact he wasn't aboard the day of the attack."

The News Journal has removed the original story from its Web site and says it will set the record straight after the Navy finishes looking into the matter.

Daniels said he wasn't sure how long that would take.

According to his personnel record, Daniels said, Sparenberg is not entitled to wear the Bronze Star or Purple Heart. The highest honor he earned in the Navy is a Meritorious Service Medal, shown to the right of the two combat honors in the photo.

"He was not in the line of fire on Oct. 12," Daniels said. "Him making any claims to being injured in the terrorist act on the USS Cole are not plausible."

Contacted on Thursday by The Virginian-Pilot, Sparenberg did not directly answer questions about when he arrived on the Cole or whether he wore medals he did not earn.

"I served on the Cole. I was with some of the greatest American heroes I know," said Sparenberg, who lives in Delaware.

He said he was trying to make sure the ship's crew was remembered and now has come under attack.

"I'm not going to say anything. I have no reason to say anything. I have no reason to prove anything," he said in response to a question about the medals.

Sparenberg said reliving the Cole attack is painful, and that he sometimes cries at night "thinking about what I had to do."

"I want this part of my life to go away," he said.

Lorrie Triplett might wish the same.

Triplett, who lives in Suffolk, lost her husband - Ensign Andrew Triplett - in the Cole attack. In the nine years since, she's raised their two daughters to be proud of their father's service.

In the Delaware newspaper article, Sparenberg talked in detail about working beside Triplett in the ship's fuels lab in the minutes before the blast. He described how Triplett told him to go to lunch - even mentioned the main entree that day in the galley - and how, seconds after he departed the lab, the detonation rocked the ship. Triplett died; Sparenberg lived.

Lorrie Triplett said Thursday she has never heard of Sparenberg. She's talked at length with two enlisted sailors who were in the fuels lab with her husband that morning, and through their accounts, she pieced together an idea of what her husband's final moments were like.

It's unsettling to her that someone the Navy said wasn't yet aboard the ship is now claiming a part in the narrative.

"It's like tampering with what happened," Triplett said.

"Why would you want to fabricate something to this extent for that event? Why would you want to say you were there at a tragedy?"

Kate Wiltrout, (757) 446-2629, kate.wiltrout@pilotonline.com

11. Jan 3, 2010 at 1:49 PM
    CtYankee

CtYankee Well-Known Member

Member:
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 black 4x4 acc
    step bars, bull bar, tint, bug shield, debadged, tires and rims
    i see some around town lately in the uni's.. legit or not i dunno....but when i was home on leave, or it was the weekend.... i didnt wanna go near my BDU's. they stayed in my wall locker til monday morning.

12. Jan 3, 2010 at 1:56 PM
    alx_alx_69

alx_alx_69 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Hope Mills, North Carolina
    Thats funny because I spent 3 years with the 173rd, I was stationed in Vincenza, Italy, not Bragg.

13. Jan 4, 2010 at 9:24 AM
    cakmakli

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    When I was at Camp Darby Italy from 91 - 94 it was the 325th ABCT in Vincenza

14. May 21, 2010 at 3:35 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    thread bump :D

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_army_infiltrator

AP INVESTIGATION: Texas man faked way into Army

FORT WORTH, Texas – A Texas man with no military experience tricked the Army into letting him enter a reserve unit as a noncommissioned officer earlier this year, a deception that placed an untrained soldier in a leadership position in a time of war, an Associated Press investigation has found.
    The revelation comes just months after the Army drew criticism for failing to flag the suspicious activities of the Army psychiatrist now charged with killing 13 and wounding dozens of others at Fort Hood.
    The case, detailed in court records and other documents examined by the AP, raises more questions about the Army's ability to vet soldiers' backgrounds as it faces continued pressure from Congress over its screening and records system. While the soldier never deployed overseas, some say the case demonstrates how easily someone could pose as a member of the U.S. military.
    Jesse Bernard Johnston III, 26, joined the Army Reserve in February as a sergeant and was assigned to the Corps Support Airplane Company based at the Fort Worth Naval Air Station. But he wasn't qualified to hold that rank, according to military records obtained by the AP. The records show that Johnston's only military experience was attending part of a 12-week Marine officer candidate course for college students in 2004.
    Maj. Shawn Haney, spokeswoman for Marine Manpower and Reserve Affairs, said Johnston didn't complete the course's final six weeks. "He was never considered a Marine," she said.
    The matter, currently under investigation by the Army, means a soldier received a security clearance and was in position to lead troops in combat even though he hadn't gone through basic training or spent any time in the service. The Corps Support Airplane Company has been deployed in Iraq, providing pilots as well as intelligence and support personnel for an aviation battalion set up to destroy improvised explosive devices.
    If it's proven that Johnston gained his Army rank based on a phony Marine record, it would be the first documented case of so-called "stolen valor" in which the military was duped during the enlistment process, according to watchdogs of such fraud. Most cases involve attempts to get veterans' benefits or other forms of financial gain. Congress attempted to crack down on military impostors in 2005 by passing a law that makes it a crime to claim false decorations or medals.
    "This just raises some incredibly significant issues at a time when this country is involved in a global war on terror," said Rep. Mike Coffman, a Colorado Republican who served with the Marines in Iraq and the first Gulf War. "If this person was able to penetrate the military fraudulently, you have to ask the question: Couldn't somebody who was out to do harm to our country do the same thing?"
    Coffman is pushing for the creation of a single database for all military records as a step toward eliminating fraud.
    Army officials, citing an ongoing investigation, declined to provide details of Johnston's enlistment or say whether he's suspected of providing false documents or using some other means to make himself out to be an ex-Marine.
    Questions about Johnston were raised by an officer who grew concerned when Johnston couldn't satisfactorily explain how he got certain Marine medals and ribbons that he displayed. The officer, speaking on condition of anonymity because of the ongoing investigation, said he contacted Marine and Army legal authorities and learned from the Marines that Johnston never served.
    Lt. Col. Maria Quon, spokeswoman for the Army's Human Resources Command, said her database contains an entry showing Johnston joined the military in 2002, but there are no documents to support the 2002 date. She described the lack of documentation as unusual and said it likely means the date was entered this year. The National Personnel Records Center, which collects information on all who have been discharged from the military, informed the AP that it could find no evidence that Johnston ever served.
    Since March, Johnston has been stationed at Fort Rucker in Alabama, the primary training base for Army aviation. The Army declined to provide details of Johnston's assignment. Johnston did not respond to phone and e-mail messages seeking comment.
    In a recent court proceeding, Johnston's former wife, also an Army reservist, accused him of using falsified documents to make it appear he'd served in the Marines. Melanie Rolfing, 24, made the claim in a sworn statement filed last month in Fort Worth family court when she had her two-year marriage annulled, alleging fraud. Johnston did not contest the annulment.
    In her affidavit, Rolfing said she met Johnston in 2006 and that he joined her Army Reserve unit so they could fulfill their dream of becoming Army aviators together. She said Johnston led her to believe he'd served as a Marine in Iraq and Afghanistan and earned a Bronze [COLOR=#366388! important]Star and two Purple Hearts. He would even attend military functions wearing a Marine dress uniform, and people would come up to shake his hand and ask about his medals, she said.
    "I don't know who Jesse Bernard Johnston III is, but I do know he is not the man he claimed to be," she stated in the affidavit. Rolfing, a sergeant in Johnston's unit, said the Army has ordered her not to talk about the case publicly.
    The idea that a volatile soldier could be hidden in the Army's ranks has drawn congressional scrutiny since Maj. Nidal Hasan opened fire on his fellow soldiers at Fort Hood in November. After the shootings, evidence emerged that Hasan behaved erratically and maintained ties to a radical Islamic cleric. The Army has refused congressional requests for documents detailing what the Army knew about Hasan's behavior, citing the ongoing criminal case.

15. May 21, 2010 at 4:08 PM
    NFK

NFK Death Technician

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Canada, BC, Vancouver Island, Victoria
    Vehicle:
    BLACK THUNDER
    Tiers 33/11.5 tiers Mickey Thompson,Wheels Mickey T Side Bitters 17” 3” Rev Tech Lift,Added Leaf Spring,Black Projector Headlights CCFL Halo’s / HID’S Blacked out tail light Mod,Grill craft Grill Top and Bottom Hella 500 Behind Gril,FJ40 1986 Toyota Land Cruiser Emblem Front Grill K&N Air Filter,TRD Emblem Lower Grill Bottom Right,Toyota Bug & Stone Deflector Toyota Skid Plate Rhino Lined,WeatherTech Window Visors AVID Step Up Sliders,Bushwhacker Pocket Style Fender Flares Key Hole Plugs Colour Matching,Tacoma Bed MattRear,Tailgate Anti-Theft Mod ( Key Hose Clamp) Leer 100XQ Canopy,Semi De-BadgedPainted Remaining Badges (black) FA-series Short Stubby Antenna Length: 8" TRex Eyelids,Wet Okole TRD Seat Covers Charcoal And Black With Center Console And Rear Pockets With TRD Emblem logo WeatherTech Floor Mats,48 LED Blue Dome Light
    I AGREE 100%

another thing that gets at me is when people that go out and get designer dog tag/id discs, and wear them on the outside of their shirts,,, seriously who are u trying to impress ur not serving!

and also I know we in the Canadian Army / Infantry are taught to keep a low profile and not to draw attention to what we do just blend in, so another thing is when newer guys get in and start going out and wearing their tags on the outside of their shirts or sporting the wife beats to try to sport the LC factor (look cool) I see this more when I go back home where it’s a bigger city with more bars and clubs not cool in my opinion

16. May 21, 2010 at 4:10 PM
    ratm3245

ratm3245 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SW. Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2010 Black Sand Pearl 4X4 DC/SB TRD Sport
    TRD Cat-Back, Weathertech Mats, Nfab light bar, PIAA 520 ATP Drivers, PIAA 520 Fogs, Weathertech Vent/Visors, Blendmount Escort Radar Detector, Kenwood DDX516 HU w/Bluetooth, Kenwood Kna-G610 Hideaway Garmin GPS Navigation System, Alpine S-Series in the doors, JL Stealthbox, JL J2 500.1 Amp, Alpine MRP-F300 Amp, Pro Comp 7098 17X8, 265/70R17 Duratracs, UWS Lowpro Tool Box, K&N 63 Series Intake, 50% Tint in front, Bajarack, AllPro Sliders
    Wow, Just checked the pics out at the start of the thread. I've been out of the Marines for almost 20yrs and I think I would have blown a friggin gasket seein this. When I was in we weren't even isssued that uniform if you wanted Dress Blues you bought and tailored them with yer own pay. I mean WOW!

17. May 21, 2010 at 4:28 PM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The free state of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    The Army is looking rather foolish after this impostor nonsense and the Ft. Hood shooting.

18. May 21, 2010 at 4:30 PM
    BirdTRD

BirdTRD Unsuspectingly striking from above

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Front (2.75" total): 1.6" Eibach coils, Toytec 0.5" (L) & 0.25" (R) top plate spacers, 5100's @ 0.85", Built Right uniball UCA's, Differential drop, Removed sway bar Rear: TSB springs, Wheeler's 1.5" AAL, 5100's, 2* shims, Carrier bearing drop, F and R Spidertrax, 285/75-16 Goodyear Duratracs, Self-fabbed sliders, rear bumper, and skid plates, Cobra 75 CB, Bed lined slim lo-pro tool box, Bed Extender, Diff breather mod, Two tail gate security mods, Exhaust dumped behind axle, Can't leave shit alone so plenty more coming...
    A true impersonator = Douche bag that needs to get his ass kicked

Flipping out on a guy on Halloween = You need to get your ass kicked. Lighten up. It's fucking Halloween.

19. May 21, 2010 at 5:00 PM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The free state of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    ^^ That about sums it up!! ^^

20. May 21, 2010 at 5:09 PM
    HerNameIsLucy

HerNameIsLucy I miss Lucy. :-(

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.
    She's gone but not forgotten.
    I had a supervisor years ago who claimed he was a Green Beret, said he got out a few years back. The guy weighed a gross metric ton...I thought to myself "he sure went to hell quick". I asked him one day if his Form DD-214 said anything about him being a Beret..he did not know what a DD-214 was. Lying pile of monkey spunk...who was he trying to impress?

Products Discussed in

To Top