1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Military purchase out of home state?

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by luka, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Feb 15, 2013 at 3:17 PM
    luka

luka [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner -> 4WD Converted
    Pelfreybilt, Warn, BAMF, DTRL toggle on/off, FJ OEM Fog/Aux Light switches, 2012 lower center console swap, wired in auto-dimming rear view mirror, Wet-Okole inside, Weathertech , Rigid, Tint, Roto-Pax, Bestop, OME, Extended SS brake lines, TRD TX Pro/Baja Graphite 16" Rims
    I'll be in Texas this summer for some training and was looking to pick up a gun or 2 since i'm there...looked up the various gun laws of my home state (HI) and also TX laws and it seems getting a gun elsewhere would be easier(and much cheaper) to update when I fly home. Just not sure how to do it if I can..

I won't have PCS orders so would I be SOL?

The main reason for doing is a plain cost savings as guns here are 50-75% more expensive here than the CONUS.

2. Feb 15, 2013 at 3:25 PM
    double dee

double dee Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    everytime i've bought a gun i needed my pcs orders to prove where i'm residing

3. Feb 15, 2013 at 3:27 PM
    Ryan DCFS

Ryan DCFS Elevator guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    East Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    09 DC long bed TRD silver streak
    You need to check your local laws.

If the gun you want to purchase is legal for you to buy/own/possess in your area, but cheaper to purchase in Texas, I don't think there would be an issue. Again, check your local laws.

Edit: I'm thinking civilian. So I wouldn't know for military, I just don't know why it would be different.

4. Feb 15, 2013 at 3:35 PM
    luka

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle:
    Pelfreybilt, Warn, BAMF, DTRL toggle on/off, FJ OEM Fog/Aux Light switches, 2012 lower center console swap, wired in auto-dimming rear view mirror, Wet-Okole inside, Weathertech , Rigid, Tint, Roto-Pax, Bestop, OME, Extended SS brake lines, TRD TX Pro/Baja Graphite 16" Rims
    yeah, i'm not looking for anything fancy, maybe an AR-15 and a handgun just to play around with and stay profficient outside of the regular live-fire training. HI isn't that bad to own, just very limited on where you can shoot.

I'll have TDY orders staying on post..

5. Feb 15, 2013 at 3:37 PM
    Haslefre

Haslefre Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    TN
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra
    Some flags and center console divider... lots of things on the wanted list.
    You have to have PCS orders or an id with a local address.

6. Feb 15, 2013 at 5:29 PM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner Double Cab TRD Sport
    ...as i understand it, you can purchase a gun in a different state, and have the dealer ship it to an FFL dealer in your state, ..where you would sign for it (form 4473), and probably pay an FFL transfer fee...

...that said, ...and, you mentioned AR-15, ..well, ..i don't know about much about HI, but i do know it's a communist state in terms of gun laws... you'd better check w/ HI laws to see what you "are allowed" to possess, ...a regular 'ole AR-15, legal in TX and most states, may not be legal to possess, in the standard configuration, in HI...

...thanks for your service!

7. Feb 15, 2013 at 7:12 PM
    luka

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle:
    Thanks.

My bro lives in OK so he might be able to help, but i'd rather not bother him if I don't have to.

AR's are ok here(non-auto), they are just anti anything with a clip capacity larger then 7 or 10(for handguns/rifles I think)..just have some paperwork to file for the permit and the local PD inspect it to make sure it's not an automatic.

i'll look into the form 4473, i'm pretty sure a transfer fee would still be much better then a straight up local purchase.

8. Feb 15, 2013 at 7:35 PM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner Double Cab TRD Sport
    ..again, ...i don't know HI, ...but FFL transfer fees are generally anywhere between $20 and $50 around these parts (i.e OH)..

you could even buy a rifle from an online vendor and have it shipped to an FFL in HI... good luck finding an AR-15, ...anywhere... unless it's sheer luck you walk into the store when they are taking delivery :D also, ...keep in mind some manufs include a 30rnd "standard capacity" magazine w/ rifle purchases... ;)

9. Feb 16, 2013 at 4:25 PM
    fritzthecat

fritzthecat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner Auto AccCab Indigo
    Long Guns are ok to purchase out of state as longs as it is legal to own that long gun in your home state. And the state you are buying in has no specific laws forbidding the purchase.
    Handguns must be shipped to an FFL in your home state and you take possession there.

Fritz

10. Feb 16, 2013 at 4:50 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Depending on the laws of the state of residence.

BATFE says that an FFL must be involved for a transaction involving a resident of a different state.
    The BATFE also says that the transactions must follow the laws of BOTH the state of residence and the state of the transaction.

It is not legal for a Californian (without an 03FFL) to purchase a gun of any kind outside of California. Hawaii is likely similar.

That said...

OP is in the military. His orders indicate his state of residence. If he is stationed in AZ or Texas, then he is legally a resident of that state.

The issue then becomes, what will happen when his deployment is over and he returns to Hawaii, or if he is later stationed in California.

If he is STATIONED in California, the DOJ will allow him to register a banned AR15, and the registration is valid for the duration of his orders.
    No issues with a handgun (as long as it does not have a threaded barrel or other assault weapon features).

Hawaii will be a different story. I don't know what kind of assault weapon laws they have, but if he were returning to California to live permanently, he would not be able to bring a banned weapon with him, even if it would be legal to temporarily register for the term of his orders while stationed here.

11. Feb 16, 2013 at 4:53 PM
    toughtaco

toughtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma dbl cab short bed
    TRD CAI, MBRP dual exhaust, PIAA headlights and driving lights, 5% limo tint, 3 inch Skyjacker lift , AFE throttle body spacer, 285/70/17 BF Goodright AT TA KO, Grillcraft MX with PIAA's behind the grill, anytime fog light mod, reverse camera anytime mod, and PIAA fog lights on the rear bumper anytime mod light bar behind back window with truck lights for reverse assistance, Optima Red Top Battery, Onza 3x5" LEd reverse lights attached to light bar behind cab
    Where in TX? If you are going to Ft. Hood there are alot of places to buy new and used..... good luck. I am doing the same thing since I own a house in Killeen and live in NY.

12. Feb 16, 2013 at 4:54 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Your military deployment overrides what Wiley is talking about.

Wiley's situation would be as if you were on vacation and wanted to buy a gun in Texas.
    The gun will be shipped to your receiving FFL, and you have to walk into that dealership and process it same as if you were buying online.
    For one thing, the receiving FFL needs a heads up, and since you're going to be training, they need to be willing to store it until you get home.

Your brother can't help without getting into grey areas under federal law.

13. Feb 16, 2013 at 4:57 PM
    SpeedoJosh

SpeedoJosh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access cab, Base, 4x4
    Can't you do a person to person purchase without all the paperwork? I've never sold any of my guns, but don't remember ever signing paper when I was buying from a person, and not a store.

14. Feb 16, 2013 at 4:58 PM
    11TRD

11TRD MERICA

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD SPORT 4X4 DC
    Cobra 29 WXNWBT, Devil Horns, ARB Bumper, Avid Stepbars, Homer Taco Satoshi thin lip grille, ICON UCA's, ICON EXT Travel up front with King 700# springs, Dakar heavy springs, sumo bump stops, with ICON VS 2.0 shocks in the rear, K&N Drop In, AVS Ventshades and Bugflector, Whelen SPS 660 emergency strobes, Redline Hood struts and tailgate EZdown, Illuminated 4X4 Switch, TRD Floor mats, Flyzeye LED lighting, Kragen 7" HID behind grille, Kragen 4" HID back up lights, Rigid SR Series 10" LEDx2 Elusive elements Lightbar, Firestik antenna, Rear Diff breather mod, Fogs anytime, Hitch Safe, OEM door sill strips, mryo mirror relocate bracket, Prinsu designs roof rack, Tepui Autana RTT, ARB Awning,Engo 10k winch synthetic, Blue seas fuse block and breaker, ARE Topper
    This /\

Unless you are purchasing from your state of record, thats on your drivers license. I am stationed in Virginia and have purchased guns here and they all required my PCS orders. But when I go home on leave in Tennessee all I need is my drivers license and another ID.

15. Feb 16, 2013 at 5:03 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    It depends on the laws of his state of residence.

It is not legal for me to conduct a PPT outside of California (other than C&R), and California requires that the transfer take place at an FFL.
    Full 4473, DROS, and background check even for a PPT.

16. Feb 16, 2013 at 5:52 PM
    luka

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle:
    nah, i'll be up north at Sheppard.

From what I read on the local PD website regarding gun registration here, there is a 14-day wait period for a permit that is good for 6 days to purchase...I'd assume that people find a gun and put a down-payment at the shop and wait for the permit before completing the sale.

Bringing in a gun from out of state only needs to physically brought in for an inspection within 72hours of arriving without a wait period to register.

If I read/understood it correctly

http://www.honolulupd.org/information/index.php?page=gunmain

I understand TX laws to be much simpler.

17. Feb 16, 2013 at 6:29 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Yes, Texas laws are much simpler, but you can't purchase a handgun in Texas without orders making you a temporary resident of Texas.

If you remain a HI resident, you must transfer the gun through an HI gun shop, and at that point, all of your current restrictions come back into play... it is cheaper and easier to simply buy OTC in your home state than it is to have one shipped in from another state.

One way around it, get an 03FFL, and you can then purchase handguns and long guns that are 50 years old or older when out of state and bring them home with you.

18. Feb 16, 2013 at 6:37 PM
    timmyedge

timmyedge Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Timmy
    Layton, UT
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR DCSB
    Magnaflow cat back exhaust with down pipe, Volant CAI, BHLM w/new bulbs, 3000K replacement fog lights,Debadged/Painted/Re-badged to say TACO/ New JVC Dbl Din Nav in dash/ Fosgate 400W amp/ Fosgate 10" sub/Tacotunes box/ Order OME complete lift w/Daker springs and LR UCA's/Ordered SCS Stealth 6 Matte Gun Metal -265/70R17 Goodyear Duratracks, BAMF behind gril light bar, Custom Trial Ridge Sliders , bed mat, weathertechs, Wet Okles, All Pro Front IFS skid Plate, Plasti Dir rear bumper Future MODS-Skids IFS/Fuel tank, transfer, rear dif
    Since you are a resident of HI you can not purchase a weapon from Tx. Reguardless of you beeing in Military. If you were stationed in Tx meaning you have orders you can. But since Tx doesnt sale any weapons to HI residents your SOL.....

19. Feb 16, 2013 at 6:56 PM
    Dandoozel

Dandoozel Member

Member:
    Pensacola, FL
    Vehicle:
    SR5
    This is what I would. Get a copy of your training orders, then when you check into the school house/ barracks go to the post office on base and get a mail box. Then when you go to the dealer you will have prove of residence if you need it. If you are lucky the dealer will see the orders and not question the integrity of the purchase. I betting he will be happy to sell to a service member. Texas is probably the most military friendly state I've been to. Good luck with the weapon and training.

20. Feb 16, 2013 at 8:39 PM
    luka

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the info, i'm sure i'll figure it out before I get there in about 2 months.

Doing a purchase in TX and having the dealer ship it to another here locally would probably be the choice option if it'll save me a couple of bills. Just been hearing stories about insane price inflation due to the rush.

Products Discussed in

To Top