1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Mini review

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by NMG, May 7, 2009.

1. May 7, 2009 at 10:13 PM
    NMG

NMG [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport
    Hey everyone, just thought I'd post a quick mini review of my Tacoma thus far. It's an 09 Double Cab TRD Sport.

After driving the truck for roughly a week, I continue to be impressed by the overall quality of the truck. The small things really stand out, like how the rear view mirror has a substantial feel to it, how the climate control knobs are so smooth to operate, the tightness of the overalll ride, etc. Really impressed with the build quality. Everything fits nice and tightly together, it has a clean interior appearance and it just feels like it was built from the ground up as an overall package instead of being thrown together by 3 or 4 different designers, like many vehicles out there.

The powertrain is awesome. The vast majority of my time behind the wheel so far has seen me be a really gentle to the truck. Rarely going over 2,000 RPM to accelerate and even then, it gets up to city speeds very nicely. I really like the off idle power of the V6 and it definitely feels torquey enough to behave like a truck should. I took it out for a quick spin on the highway tonight and gave it a little more gas in a couple of spots and was equally impressed. I did one short 80-110 KM/H burst and was very surprised with how quickly it covered it. Passing will definitely not be an issue :) I'll take a mileage measurement once I fill up, but I expect to be in the high teens for the first tank. Not too bad all things considered.

The one thing that I need to rave about (and that I didn't think would be THAT big of a deal) is the backup camera. This thing is frickin awesome! Backing into or out from parking spots is SO much easier with it. Seeing obstacles behind you that you wouldn't normally see is a non issue and in-tight maneuvers are simply childs play with it. I imagine it will be an even bigger hit the first time I go to hook the boat trailer up.

I also love the size of the truck. Not too small and not too big. I find the cabin has a car like feel to it, which is a good thing IMHO. The seats are comfy, there isn't too much "dead" space and the seating position and view of the road is just fine. I also LOVE the view of the hood scoop as you peer out over the hood. Handling around town is also great. Despite being fairly long, it handles in a very nimble manner. City driving is MUCH easier than it would be with a larger truck.

The stereo is okay for a stock system, but eventually I could see myself upgrading that part of the truck. Mind you, I'd probably have that same comment for most stock systems so I won't really count it as a problem with the truck.

Overall, I'm very happy with my purchase. I love the looks of the truck, the way it drives and the way it feels. It's a great package and I'm really glad I made the decision to get into it instead of going with another 1/2 ton. It just fits what I need right now almost perfectly.

2. May 7, 2009 at 10:21 PM
    05 X-Runner

05 X-Runner Murdered X

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Napa, Nor-Cal. Whine Country U.S.A
    Vehicle:
    BSP 05 X-Runner, 07 TRD Sport Super White
    HVM C/F X-Runner badge 1 of 6 made,P/C'ed black rims,Blacked out Billet Grill,BLHM,HID's,Tinted tail covers, Fog light mod,BFLM,C2C Black eyelids,,C2C 1.75" Front drop 2" rear,C2C Hoodstruts,URD Shortshifter,URD T-CAI.Custom Coupe shiftball, NST Manifold Spacer.. 07 TRD Sport Super White,De-badged,White headlight Mod,Fog light mod,White tail light mod,C2C white eyelids, C2C hood struts
    I have an 07 TRD Sport long bed.. I like the truck alot, but after i drive my X and get in it i feel like im driving a school bus cuz its so long :laugh:

3. May 8, 2009 at 12:41 PM
    NMG

NMG [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport
    Compared to my Fit, yeah it does feel large. Compared to my 97 F-150 4x4 (extra cab short box) it feels way smaller, even though they are basically the same length. Compared to the 09 F-150 I test drove, it feels like my Fit :D

To Top