1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Minnesota move decision-

Discussion in 'Mid West' started by Rupp1, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Oct 5, 2012 at 8:33 AM
    Rupp1

Rupp1 [OP] "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball."

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR Auto Silver Sky 4x4 / 2017 4Runner Premium
    Well, Two years ago I went throught this, and now it has come up again. My family is considering a move to Minnesota. My wife had a job offer (in the form of a promotion from her company) to work in Minnetonka. So we flew up for a few days and checked it out. She knows some people from there and so we had an idea of what it was like. Now, she has another opportunity, and it is likely that it will be in Minnetonka as well.

It was a difficult decision last time. We weighed out all of the pros and cons of living where we are (Raleigh, NC) and living there. Both economy's are reasonably good, both have good schools for the kids, lots of things to do, etc. Even the weather. We are originally from Upstate NY, about 60 miles South of Buffalo, so we have been in the cold and snow most of our lives. Here in Raleigh, we have extreme heat instead of the extreme cold.

So here we are looking at houses on the net, and looking at places for me to work. We drove around quite a bit last time we were there, and we seemed to like the areas North of Minnetonka, starting at Plymouth and going up to about Andover.

Anyone got any opinions on that area they would like to share? Places you work, etc.?

My two young boys said they would definately like to get into snowmobiling... :D

2. Oct 5, 2012 at 8:47 AM
    brow

brow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2020 Dodge Ram 1500
    I moved to Minneapolis about 4 years ago. I'm originally from a smaller town in Wisconsin, spent a couple years in central illinois, then moved up here. I like it a lot more that I ever thought I would, to the point that I don't plan on leaving any time soon. (which is rare for me, I usually get abuot 2 years before I start to go stir crazy). Theres always a million things to do around here, and it seems like a great area for kids.

The areas you are looking at are all excellent cities, definitely on the pricy side though. Maple grove, just north of where your looking, and Eden Prairie, just south are basically the same without the price tag. I personally own a house in northeast minneapolis, and my girlfriend is continually talking about wanting to move out to Lake Minnetonka as soon as we win the lottery.

The Job situation up here is probably a little better than the rest of the country, depending on what you do. I'm in construction management, which means that there isnt a lot of options, but even so, I just finished up a four year contract at the end of July, took a month off, started applying and I start a new job on monday.

As long as you don't mind the weather, you'll be just fine (we had frost this morning in my back yard in the middle of the city)

3. Oct 5, 2012 at 9:42 AM
    Rupp1

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the input! My gut says I'd like it there.

I'm sure I won't be able to make the $ I do here, (I am a lead instrumentation and calibration mechanic at a large Pharma. company) and that we can probably deal with. But I have to admit that I don't like being in a union. My past experience with that wasn't great, and it appears that I may not have a choice if we move there.

All in all, I'm kind of excited about possibly re-locating. Even at my age. (Damn near 50)

4. Oct 5, 2012 at 12:25 PM
    brow

brow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2020 Dodge Ram 1500
    I think you'll have more options up here for work than you would expect. I have a couple friends with manufacturing/engineering degrees that are offered positions away from there current company on a regular basis. I believe one specializes in dialysis and water filtration systems, the other thermo-plastic molding. "

Good luck with the decision, and having to put up with a lot of "why do you drive a foreign truck", tacomas are pretty few and far between up here, compared to the rest of the country

5. Oct 5, 2012 at 2:00 PM
    Rupp1

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    I'm encouraged. I've got a very verstile background, so there are many things I could do. Apparently, I'm some sort of an expert in purfied water, from what they tell me...:eek::D

As far as the "Foreign truck", I'll just open my door and show them the "Made in USA" sticker.:cool:

Products Discussed in

To Top