1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Mirror Control Switch Question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jabrackin, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Mar 5, 2020 at 10:43 AM
    Corgwn

Corgwn New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Hi, I found a prius panel with the switches online, but what do you use for the harness/adaptor to connect from that switch to my truck? Also, what was the part NO for the switch that was blue?

thanks

2. Jul 28, 2020 at 10:31 AM
    60centenergy

60centenergy Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB TRD OR
    I know this is once again reviving an old thread but I just finished this mod up yesterday and wanted to share some thoughts.

@Corgwn here is what I did:
    • Followed @nazlax10 link from post #2. Since I don't have the heated mirror mod and wanted just the harness, I searched by the seller on eBay and came across this
    • Sourced a 12-15 Prius mirror switch with lighting capability from @Greenbean info on post #16 from searching here
    • Once parts came in, popped the mirror switch out, plugged new harness into truck harness then into back of new switch. Tested and everything worked great! But found out light is always on so need to wire into illumination power from other switches
    • I tested the new harness and found the +12V and ground for illumination to the switch which are the wires on opposite ends of the harness and should be clear from pic below (I'm looking down at the top of the switch)
    IMG_5916.jpg

• I ended up cutting these wires about halfway up from the back of the new switch to the spot where the wires were spliced together, stripped back, then ran new leads from there to illumination wires from a stock switch near mirror switch location
    • The +12V wire from the new harness needs to be tapped into a Green (+) wire from another switch & Ground from harness tapped into a Green/silver (-) from another switch
    • After this, I tested illumination and all worked well
    Next steps are changing out LED, if you don't want to do this then you're done
    • I wanted to change out the green LED that came in the mirror switch to white (I am in process of changing all switches to white)
    • I didn't get any pictures of this process but you can separate the white back of the switch from the black face using a small flat screw driver, carefully prying around the edges while pulling on the white back of switch
    • Be careful when opening and hold the black face down or else some of the button components could fall out
    • There are 2 LEDs on the front of the board that you will see once separated
    • I used these LEDs as they were quick shipping and very cheap! Order whatever quantity you want
    • Take your time desoldering the ones on the board and don't leave the soldering iron on any place for too long
    • For polarity, pay attention to the green mark on the LEDs that are on the switch board and match up the new LEDs with the green mark in the same orientation
    • To help hold the new SMD LEDs, I used a piece of electrical tape to hold half of the LED down on the board while I used one hand holding solder flux and the other using the iron then after one side I removed the tape and got the opposite side - it's tedious but with patience... lots of patience....... it can be done
    • Finally, button everything back up with the switch and test. If all is well then it should look like this! It's looking good with my other switches too!
    IMG_5930.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    maxtherat and Greenbean like this.
  3. Jul 28, 2020 at 3:44 PM
    BlkDakDave

BlkDakDave Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    CC TX
    Vehicle:
    07 AC PreRunner TRD/Off Road
    So glad this thread was revived. I've been wanting to do something to light up that switch for a very long time. So tired of playing Helen Keller when needing to adjusting the side mirrors and hoping not to hit the "Dif lock" switch instead. About 6 months ago I pulled and removed the outer cover on the switch looking for burned out bulbs - none.

Since reading this thread I've been searching on ebay for a Prius switch and like you said a bunch return. What I'm wondering is, does the back of the two switches look different? Seems like the illuminated one would be. The reason for my question is knowing this might help in weeding through returns Here's a pic of a non illuminated switch for a Tacoma. Can you compare it to the one you just installed?
    Thanks

Switch.jpg

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
  4. Jul 28, 2020 at 7:01 PM
    60centenergy

60centenergy Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB TRD OR
    @BlkDakDave yes the switch backs are different. I confirmed this from the pictures of the switch listing I bought and comparing the harness pictures on eBay.

Below is the switch back of the one I bought. You can tell the tops of both switches where the harness connects are different. This pic is from the eBay listing so it’s probably not the best.

upload_2020-7-28_21-59-21.jpg

5. Jul 28, 2020 at 7:17 PM
    BlkDakDave

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    CC TX
    Vehicle:
    Ok cool, with this I can narrow down the results when looking for one from a 12-15 Prius or possibly a few other Toyotas. As for the $20 pigtail for a Lexus Scion, it pluged into the Tacoma harness and then into the back of the Prius switch with your wiring modifications? Thanks again!

6. Jul 28, 2020 at 7:21 PM
    BlkDakDave

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    CC TX
    Vehicle:
  7. Jul 28, 2020 at 7:26 PM
    60centenergy

60centenergy Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB TRD OR
    That’s right! It was plug and play with the eBay harness from the Tacoma side to the new switch. Then the illumination wiring wasn’t that bad.

That switch looks like it will work.

8. Jul 28, 2020 at 7:28 PM
    60centenergy

60centenergy Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB TRD OR
    One thing about that harness, it’s shipped from Taiwan and took about 2 weeks to get to me.

9. Jul 28, 2020 at 7:30 PM
    BlkDakDave

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    CC TX
    Vehicle:
    Awesome, thanks for your input. Yeah, slow boat from China...

10. Aug 13, 2020 at 12:49 PM
    BlkDakDave

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    CC TX
    Vehicle:
    Question with picture to clarify how I am interpreting the wiring and your explanation. My question is, once the +12 and ground wires on the pigtail adapter are changed (as shown in your picture) are additional wires needed to tap into a + and a - from another nearby switch? I used your photo to illustrate what I'm thinking.
    Tacoma switch wiring.jpg

Still waiting on the adapter. It's been in California for the past 5 days, I guess going through customs. No biggie, gives me some time to get the wiring process figured out.

Thanks!

11. Aug 13, 2020 at 6:23 PM
    60centenergy

60centenergy Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB TRD OR
    @BlkDakDave yes, an additional wire for each + and - need to come off the wires you cut from the harness (on the side closest to the new switch or my hand in the pic) and t-tap or however you would like to connect to an OEM switch illumination wiring source.

The people who sell that modified harness from eBay are just connecting the original switch illumination to the main power and ground coming into the switch which is why the light is always on. This is why, to control the illumination with the other switches, you have to cut each wire and re-route those illumination + and - to another illumination source for control.

12. Aug 13, 2020 at 7:34 PM
    BlkDakDave

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    CC TX
    Vehicle:
    I seem to recall you tapped into your heated mirrors? Using T-tap? Here's another pic showing an approximate location where I'd tap into the + & - off the harness. Also attached is a picture with each wire numbered 1-11 and how I see where the + is tapped into wire #8 and the - is tapped into wire #7. Do these pictures seem right to you?

Thanks again!

Tacoma switch2.jpg
    Tacoma switch 3.jpg

13. Aug 14, 2020 at 10:20 AM
    60centenergy

60centenergy Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB TRD OR
    @BlkDakDave that's correct! Just cut about where you have the light green line pointing in the top picture and run the new line connecting from the cut wires (the side closest to the terminal of the new switch) to the illumination source from OEM switch w/ t-tap. As far as the other cut end, I just wrapped electrical tape around both of those exposed wires.

14. Aug 14, 2020 at 11:36 AM
    BlkDakDave

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    CC TX
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the confirmation on this, I really appreciate your input and feedback on this project. I think I going to tap into the OEM auxillary driving (fog) lights switch that is located above and just to the left of the mirror switch. Attached is a picture showing switches that light up when the parking/driving lights are on.

Tacoma dash switches.jpg

Thanks again!

60centenergy likes this.
  15. Mar 1, 2021 at 7:35 PM
    JAGCanada

JAGCanada Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport V6 Auto Double Cab MGM
    Received my switch and harness. Tried it out and everything worked except for the light. I noticed that the +ve and - ve for the light was tapped into different wires than shown above, which is a problem with my harness. Picture above helped a lot, thanks. Here is a picture of how my harness came, which doesn't power the backlit led as intended. Pink is +ve and should have been tapped into the 3rd green wire from the right and orange is - ve and should have been tapped into the 4th green wire from the right. 20210301_220814.jpg

16. Mar 3, 2021 at 6:57 AM
    BlkDakDave

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    CC TX
    Vehicle:
    @JAGCanada, once you corrected the wiring did the backlight for the switch work? If so, glad it worked out for you. I really like getting in my truck and being able to see that switch. I do wish it was on the door near the window controls like it was on my Dakota.

17. Mar 3, 2021 at 12:08 PM
    JAGCanada

JAGCanada Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport V6 Auto Double Cab MGM
    @BlkDakDave, it should. Mirror controls work fine in the truck. When I run +ve and -ve to the backlit LED when the switch is on my bench, everything works fine. I am just waiting for some LEDs to arrive so I can change the LED colour from green to amber (to match rest of the switches). Then going to figure out a timer and install heated mirrors.

BlkDakDave likes this.
  18. Feb 4, 2022 at 5:31 PM
    TRDProBuddy

TRDProBuddy Well-Known Member

Member:
    MD (Kent Island)
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Pro (Inferno)
    Wanting to do this mod, could you tell me if this is the correct switch, it is for a 2012 Prius

359D029D-C292-4121-8C3F-D38FA7707174.jpg

19. Feb 4, 2022 at 9:13 PM
    BlkDakDave

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    CC TX
    Vehicle:
    As I recall, there are non illuminated switches for the Prius. When I bought mine I compared the back of the switch to be sure. In post #12 it states the switch is from the upper level or equipped Prius and gives this part number, Toyota PN:84760-28030,

20. Feb 5, 2022 at 4:34 AM
    TRDProBuddy

TRDProBuddy Well-Known Member

Member:
    MD (Kent Island)
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Pro (Inferno)
    @BlkDakDave, thanks for the info. There are so many switches that come up on the EBay page when I search so I thought if I look that part number up from the dealer I would just get that switch. So you thing that same switch number could come illuminated or non-illuminated?

Products Discussed in

To Top