1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Misfiring, loss of power, abnormal engine vibration

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Ron1284, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Sep 18, 2011 at 8:57 PM
    98_Mud_bug

98_Mud_bug 98_mud_bug

Member:
    lucedale Ms.
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma sr5/ 06 x-runner
    3 inch suspension lift, night shades corner and blinkers projector headlights with halos and 3 led's 18 inch kmc xd rockstar wheels,275/65/18 kelly safari tsr's, bush whacker fender flares 7 inch touch screen, 2 kenwood 12's, Magnaflow exaust single in dual out,
    that sounds like an injector. or a bad connection on an injector.

2. Sep 18, 2011 at 8:58 PM
    98_Mud_bug

98_Mud_bug 98_mud_bug

Member:
    lucedale Ms.
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma sr5/ 06 x-runner
    3 inch suspension lift, night shades corner and blinkers projector headlights with halos and 3 led's 18 inch kmc xd rockstar wheels,275/65/18 kelly safari tsr's, bush whacker fender flares 7 inch touch screen, 2 kenwood 12's, Magnaflow exaust single in dual out,
    im fairly mechanically inclined and i changed my injector in about 2 hours. mine is a v6 and the intake had to be removed. its pretty easy just take pictures when you take anything off. then you can just scan through the pictures when you are puttin it back together.

3. Sep 18, 2011 at 11:13 PM
    UndefinedTaco

UndefinedTaco I'll eat all your food.

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Tracy, CA
    Vehicle:
    Toyota
    It's an 89 Toyota Pickup. I got some stuff done to it.. FJ axles going under it soon.
    The injectors are fairly easy on the 2RZ. It's a tight squeeze if you got big hands to undo the clips for the wiring on injectors..but it's doable. You have to undo like one bracket that is just holding a wire loom onto the intake manifold.

That's it. It took me about 40 mins after some cussing and yelling at the truck to get them out with the rail and everything.

I'd help if I was closer and had the gas money to get to you.

4. Sep 18, 2011 at 11:19 PM
    UndefinedTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Tracy, CA
    Vehicle:
    Toyota
    It's an 89 Toyota Pickup. I got some stuff done to it.. FJ axles going under it soon.
    I can't remember but the actual COILPACK runs cylinder 2 and 3, the other runs cylinder 1 and 4. Just follow the wires to the plugs..it'll tell you.
    Worn or torn wires can cause misfire, you'll get intermittent spark because you have a short..it's gotta jump across and arc..causing intermittent spark.

The only way to tell if it's misfiring on different cylinders is to clear the codes, and if one pops up again..scan it and it'll tell you what cylinder.

You might be able to tell by the spark plugs if you take all out and clean them..see if any are getting fouled or are abnormal looking after swapping coilpacks.

5. Sep 19, 2011 at 6:05 PM
    Ron1284

Ron1284 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    San Francisco
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma 2.4
    Just to rule out my own ignorance, the cylinders are numbered 1-2-3-4 going from front of engine to back, right?

I replaced the coils on what I assume are 1 and 4, but if I should have replaced one of the coils in one of the center cylinders then I never tried that.

Checking the codes involves the hassle of going and taking the truck to wheelworks, and paying them to tell me what the truck is saying. Unless someone in the city has a reader I can borrow.

6. Sep 19, 2011 at 6:32 PM
    UndefinedTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Tracy, CA
    Vehicle:
    Toyota
    Yes

and yeah unfortunately but it's what you gotta do..

Truck ever overheat?
    Ever check the valves?

Products Discussed in

To Top