1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Misfiring throwing P0301 Code???

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by djtech, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Jul 15, 2010 at 1:19 PM
    djtech

djtech [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Hey guys, hopefully someone can shed some light on a misfiring issue i am having. I have a 2000 Tacoma Pre-Runner 6cyl and it through a CEL a few times but it ONLY does it after the truck has been driven for a bit, turned off, then started back up in a bit (take it home for lunch from work, then does it when i go back to work). Often times on the way back to work it will go away, the misfiring. It idles rough while its doing it but not bad enough to shut off. I have just replaced all 6 spark plugs with NGK's dual grounded to spec and also have put SeaFoam in the tank and vacuum booster but its still doing it.

I can't seem to figure out why it only seems to do it when its hot and been driven, turned off, then started again. Never does it happen in the morning when its cold.

Any ideas?

Thx

2. Jul 15, 2010 at 2:08 PM
    Coolidge

Coolidge Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Lancaster, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2003 Pre Runner
    King coilovers frt +3". Bilstein 5100 shocks rear w/AAL, K&N FIPK, Magnablow exhaust, Billet grill, clear corner lights, Sony stereo, JBL, Sub etc.
    Are you running a K&N/Cold air intake system? Had same prob on mine. Cleaned MAS and all is right with the world again :)

3. Jul 15, 2010 at 2:27 PM
    Killer

Killer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mobile, Al.
    Vehicle:
    98 4x4 TRD V6 3.4L SR5 XCab Gold with Tan Int
    19,000 Original Miles, Factory Alarm, Factory Tow Package, Low Profile UWS Black Tool Box, 20ft. of Dynamat Xtreme, Pioneer Double Din DVD 3200BT, IPod Holder, Q Form Kick Panels, 3 Pairs of MB Quart component speakers, JL Audio Stealthbox, Alpine PDX-5 amp, PIAA Foglights, WeatherTech Floor Mats, Maxxis Big Horn Mud Tires 32 x 11.5 R x 15, Wet Okole Seat Cover for 60/40 Bench, 5100's Front & Rear, Wheeler's Single Leaf AAL, Warn 8,000 Winch, Warn Transformer Brush Guard, Stebel Nautilus Compact Horn
    How do you clean the MAS?

4. Jul 15, 2010 at 3:10 PM
    djtech

djtech [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Yes, the MAS is spotless.

5. Jul 15, 2010 at 4:41 PM
    Coolidge

Coolidge Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Lancaster, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2003 Pre Runner
    King coilovers frt +3". Bilstein 5100 shocks rear w/AAL, K&N FIPK, Magnablow exhaust, Billet grill, clear corner lights, Sony stereo, JBL, Sub etc.
    ...very carefully! I happened to use 'CRC QD Contact Cleaner' I had gone to Carquest to see what they had to offer. They had one particular MAS cleaner, BUT it specified 'not for TOYOTA or LEXUS'. I had done some research online and found on one of the Toyota sites (cant remember which, sorry) and that site specified the CRC cleaner, which I already had.

The sensor is removed with 2 screws, then I carefully sprayed the sensor till clean. Didnt touch it with anything. Just spray. Mine looked like it was dirt from the K&N oil. No I didnt over oil, and filter was completely dry before I oiled. Outside of filter only oiled.

Good Luck!!

To Top