1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Miss/shuddering while accelerating? Help?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Rstiltner0116, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Jun 27, 2017 at 1:59 PM
    Rstiltner0116

Rstiltner0116 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Georgetown ky
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB 4X4
    Truxedo truXport tonneau cover, front air dam removed, to be continued
    Needing some help if anyone can relate, I've noticed a rather aggravating issue with my 17 dcsb 4x4, and it happens almost daily.. I'm getting a shuddering or miss kind of feeling All through the rpm range, it's hard to explain but I'll try to give an example. Sometimes It happens If I'm going up a moderately steep hill with some speed (65+) and the truck shifts down to maintain said speed when I reach around 3-3500ish rpm's I get a jerky, back and forth shudder. Like a miss or bad gas.. sometimes it also happens at lower rpms. 1-1300ish if I remember right. If I'm pulling out from an intersection and the truck shifts into a higher gear too soon and Boggs. It'll shudder really bad for a few seconds then shift down. It has about 2900 miles on it, and has done it since new. Haven't had it to the dealer yet. Any ideas on what could be the cause or anyone else having this issue?

2. Jun 27, 2017 at 2:07 PM
    bshammer0

bshammer0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    Prinsu, TruckCovers USA, Coverking, OVTuned
    This is a common problem with this truck - I say problem because I'm not willing to admit what a dealer will tell you which is "normal characteristic of the truck" when I took mine in for the same problem. I do think the misses and the bogging may be at least partially unrelated though... Best advice I can give is to get actual DATA to provide to your dealer. They will tell you nothing is wrong (in my experience anyway) with the shuddering / missing but I'd be willing to bet that if you had an OBD adapter and logged some data, you'd be able to triangulate. Feel free to PM me if you want some tips - but it's a lot of work initially to get the apps configured and whatnot. But I'd LOVE to see more data points for my own analysis if you feel froggy....

That said, a lot of what you mention above could also be caused by a failing CPS. Replacing mine (and several others on the forum) made some drastic improvements in engine roughness and bogging. Search for CPS DIY thread to get some more details.

Mickeyman, shakerhood and splitbolt like this.
  3. Jun 27, 2017 at 2:46 PM
    aero90

aero90 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR 4x4 M/T - Sold
    Yep, "normal". The truck has a whacky torque/power delivery response. I feel it REALLY bad if I short shift to 2nd and press the gas to hard. Also in other gears as you go up through the RPM range it feels as if the power delivery is more of a sine wave at some points rather than linear.

One of my biggest complaints with the truck honestly, but I think I'm throwing in the towel soon and getting rid of it. You should keep an eye on the OVtune and see if the members in that thread give any indication as to it being fixed through that.

And yes it has been like that since new, and I'm at 21k miles now.

bshammer0 likes this.
  4. Jun 27, 2017 at 2:48 PM
    Rstiltner0116

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Georgetown ky
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB 4X4
    It's nice to know I'm not the only one experiencing this. Unfortunately I don't have the budget at the moment to get ahold of a reader. It's certainly aggravating though. I have 3 toyota dealers within 20 miles of me, I'm may just wait till my 5k mile service to take it in but I'm definitely going to make sure it's documented. I love the trucks capabilities and my wife loves it over full size trucks but I'm starting to wish I had picked up a tundra.

5. Jun 27, 2017 at 3:26 PM
    bshammer0

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    yeah, you're not alone but the issues you are experiencing can be solved in some part. at a minimum, look on here for the TSBs as there is an update for the transmission that helps some with the shifting late. also look at your VIN to see if you're on any recall list - the CPS I call out able does have many 16s / 17s impacted, though I'm far from convinced all faulty sensors have been located yet.... but if you're on the list it will be a free swap:

https://www.toyota.com/recall

6. Jun 27, 2017 at 3:36 PM
    Rstiltner0116

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Georgetown ky
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB 4X4
    Are tsb's done for free if the vehicle is under warranty?

7. Jun 27, 2017 at 3:46 PM
    bshammer0

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    Yes. Look in the sticky threads here. There's one for a transmission update that helps... but depending on your build date it may or may not have been done already. Worth checking out.

Products Discussed in

To Top