1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Mitsuba horns

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Leggo, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Dec 27, 2010 at 1:14 PM
    Leggo

Leggo [OP] slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    Anyone know how to get a mitsuba (turbine or alpha) horn and how much?

2. Dec 27, 2010 at 1:19 PM
    cc350

cc350 Buckeye Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chas
    Liberty,Twp Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD DC
    TRex3 eyelids,Undercover hardshell cover,Timbrens
  3. Dec 27, 2010 at 3:44 PM
    Leggo

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    tried that with no luck thanx

4. Dec 27, 2010 at 3:47 PM
    Max-4_Yota

Max-4_Yota The Welfare Cadilac

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma 4x4, V6, 5spd
    Squattin'
  5. Dec 27, 2010 at 3:50 PM
    builthatch

builthatch MiG-21 superfan

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony Mandarich
    near the ocean, NJ
    Vehicle:
    '11 SSM SR5 6 speed 4x4
    Hella DOT wattage high performance 9003 headlight bulbs, Optilux by Hella XY h10 fog light bulbs, Suntek HP50 tint, AFE Stage II Si intake
    semi off-topic, but, i'm curious OP why you'd not consider the super easy to get and louder Hella Supertones vs. these?

6. Dec 27, 2010 at 6:38 PM
    Leggo

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    I have the Hella supertones. Maybe I am doing something wrong. I simply plugged them into the factory leads and then grounded the other two terminals. They work but sound terrible. Is it because they don't get a full 12v like from the battery alone? I did not use the relay from the kit, just thought the OEM relay was ok. Any advice?

7. Dec 27, 2010 at 7:30 PM
    builthatch

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony Mandarich
    near the ocean, NJ
    Vehicle:
    '11 SSM SR5 6 speed 4x4
    Hella DOT wattage high performance 9003 headlight bulbs, Optilux by Hella XY h10 fog light bulbs, Suntek HP50 tint, AFE Stage II Si intake
    did you use the stacked metal brackets that came with the horns? they are layered...

hella says to use these as they are actually part of the system acoustics!

other than that, hmm - i can't say for sure because i don't think i've ever hooked them up without the relay. i can imagine they draw more power than the stockers. i mean, they are significantly louder than pretty much any other disc or trumpet (non-air) horn on the market.

8. Dec 28, 2010 at 6:32 AM
    Leggo

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    thanx again, and yes I did use the mounting bracket supplied. I will try the relay they sent and put 12v from the battery to it this time and see what happens and post the results.

9. Dec 28, 2010 at 7:49 AM
    builthatch

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony Mandarich
    near the ocean, NJ
    Vehicle:
    '11 SSM SR5 6 speed 4x4
    do me a favor, if there is still an issue, let me know.

what exactly are they doing? FWIW they are supposed to emit a rather irritating, abrasive sound so they attract attention.

10. Dec 28, 2010 at 8:51 AM
    Leggo

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    The sound is not an intense blast but a wimpy, pathetic,, weak "groan" at best. Sounds like it is not getting enough power. I will try to wire direct and see if it changes. It will be later as it's nasty outside just now. thanx

11. Dec 28, 2010 at 8:56 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously though myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevos Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Scaffolding and a painted grill
    Use the relay that came with the setup. The stock wiring can't provide enough amperage to properly power them.

12. Dec 28, 2010 at 7:23 PM
    Leggo

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    well,.. it seems if you install per the directions , things work better most of the time. I wired the relay in and supplied 12v from the battery. It is definately louder now, before, it was anemic. Thanx for the wake up call.

To Top