1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Mixing progressive and digressive shocks

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by peteyfresh, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Apr 12, 2018 at 9:15 PM
    peteyfresh

peteyfresh [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Vehicle:
    13 Taco DCLB, 04 4Runner, 97 Jeep ZJ, 86 VW GLI
    First off, my truck is my daily driver. I drive about 40 miles a day on crappy paved roads. I often go up to the mountain on weekends and do quite a bit of fast forest service road driving. I also tow a 3500 lb travel trailer a handful of times a year for camping/road trips. I don't do any crawling or low speed obstacles with my truck, I have a jeep for that stuff.

I currently have Icon 2.0 REAR shocks in my 2nd gen, which I like for the most part. I went with icons in the rear because digressive can handle towing better than a progressive valved shock and is more stable. I don't like them enough to get them up front however. They ride a little too stiff on road.

I recently ordered King 2.5 extended travel coilovers with remote reservoirs and compression adjusters (Still on backorder), and camburg UCAs for the front.

My question is this set-up (Kings front, Icons rear) going to feel completely out of balance off road with mixed progressive and digressive valving? I know on road and probably 95% of my driving will probably feel fine and it will be unnoticeable, but those times when I'm hauling ass off road are what I'm worried about.

I've searched and searched and cannot find anything about ride quality mixing the two. Looking specifically for someone with a similar set-up to chime in here. Thanks in advance!

Icon_Adrian and taco 16 like this.
  2. Sep 15, 2018 at 8:18 PM
    SpeySquatch

SpeySquatch Function over Form

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR DCSB
    C4Fab LoPro, BAMF Sliders, Ext ADS 2.5’s, 4.88's, OVTune (OG to KDMax)
    Good question. I plan to do the same sort of setup. ADS front OME rear

3. Dec 4, 2018 at 10:32 AM
    Sapnjack

Sapnjack Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Phoenix AZ
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD-OffRoad
    Bilstein 6112/5160 Dakar EL096R Leaf Springs KO2 265/75/16 Tires OCF Rock Sliders Cali-Raised Hidden Lightbar Diamonback Cover HD KB VooDoo Premium Rack CVT Tent ARB Awning
    Yea I’m wondering this as well... it “seems” like it should work out well.

The front having progressive shocks should help with small bumps from water boards and gravel terrain. And if you hit a large bump at fast speed the shock will kick in. The only problem I see is if you’re hitting g outs at low speed you might bottom out the front, especially with a lot of weight in the back

4. Dec 4, 2018 at 11:14 AM
    Icon_Adrian

Icon_Adrian Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Adrian
    Riverside CA
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma Pre-Runner
    Icon Bypasses & Coilovers Long Travel Front & Rear Supercharged 3.4L
    @peteyfresh
    Our 2.0 Series shocks have a linear compression and digressive rebound.
    Mixing linear and digressive compression designs will not cause a problem. :thumbsup:

Products Discussed in

To Top