1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

MOAB trail recommendations for Dbl Cab LB

Discussion in 'Moab' started by korslite, May 26, 2011.

1. May 26, 2011 at 11:37 AM
    korslite

korslite [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Bellingham, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCLB Sport
    FOX 2.5 RR's, TC UCAs, TC Spindle Gussets, Allpro Expedition leaf pack, Fox 2.O RR w/ Comp adjusters, 17" ATX Artillery, BFG AT 285's, de-scooped, custom sliders, custom bedrack, Brute Force Fab bumpers, Smittybilt XRC8 winch, ARB locked Rear diff
    First off, hello from NW Washington!

The wife and I will be spending a bit of time in Moab this summer on our summer road trip during the last week of July/1st week of August. We plan on running a couple trails in the area as well as spending a few days exploring the White Rim road and camping along the way. I have done some research, and will continue to research, on the local trails. I bought a guide book as well like a typical tourist:eek: but my questions are more Tacoma specific, so here I am.
    I have a Dbl Cab long bed, which before we leave will be running Fox CO's and TC UCA's in front, and for current budget purposes will be running 3-leaf AAL with stock shocks in the rear. I will be doin' up some sliders before we leave but will be running stock bumpers.

Curious what trails people would recommend for the longer wheelbase Tacomas. I am no pro off road but also not a total newb or idiot. I would rather not bash up anything other than bumpers if I can help it but realize that is always a possibility. Anyway I appreciate any advice locals or those with experience have to offer and I look forward to checking out the area for the first time. Thanks!

2. May 26, 2011 at 11:51 AM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
    Most anything rated medium is a safe bet. Fin's N Things north side heading to the exit at the radio tower was fun by myself with no spotter. Go in at this sign.
    [​IMG]

3. May 26, 2011 at 11:54 AM
    korslite

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Bellingham, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCLB Sport
    FOX 2.5 RR's, TC UCAs, TC Spindle Gussets, Allpro Expedition leaf pack, Fox 2.O RR w/ Comp adjusters, 17" ATX Artillery, BFG AT 285's, de-scooped, custom sliders, custom bedrack, Brute Force Fab bumpers, Smittybilt XRC8 winch, ARB locked Rear diff
    Sweet thanks! That is one we have on our for sure list on a coworker's recommendation. Good to hear it is a good choice from a fellow long wheel base. Love your truck BTW, I've lurked around your build page before.

4. May 26, 2011 at 11:56 AM
    Dark Knight

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
  5. May 26, 2011 at 11:58 AM
    lotsoftoys

lotsoftoys pavement is boring....

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    98 lifted panda taco
    bunch of crap
    ur gonna scrape the rear bumper alot just an fyi... check out MOAB 2011 thread. we had a DBL cab LB out there... fins and things tho, and hells revenge are very easy just a few steep departure angles other than that youll do them no problem

6. May 26, 2011 at 12:10 PM
    korslite

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Bellingham, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCLB Sport
    I had been through that thread. Great pics. Looked like a blast. Seems the red long bed was similarly set up to mine which was cool to see.

Yeah i kinda figured the bumper would take a beating. As long as it comes home with me I'll be alright. I told my wife the bumpers are only temporary anyway:D She may think I'm kidding... Good thing she's fine with spending money on the truck as long as we have it!

Good to know about hells revenge I wondered about that one mostly because I'd love to go out and see it if nothing else. Thanks.

7. May 26, 2011 at 12:25 PM
    RideFast

RideFast on the flats.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Albuquerque New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    white rim is pretty sweet! But keep in mind that you need permits to camp anywhere on that trail. It's about 120 miles moab to moab. Friends and I did the whole thing on mountain bikes with a sag wagon for support. The trail is pretty mild we took an older 80's toyota van and a honda passport. Both Had 4x4 that we needed to get up some of the trail.
    If you can get some permits and camp at "air port".

8. May 26, 2011 at 12:26 PM
    korslite

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Bellingham, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCLB Sport
    Got the reservations made thanks! Not a very popular time for permits they said because of the temps.

9. May 26, 2011 at 12:29 PM
    MXRACR39X

MXRACR39X NooB

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Savannah, GA
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport
    TRD CAI, Fabtech 6", 35's. More to come; CO's, Alcan Leaf's,
    Fin's and Things, Chicken Corners, Hell's Revenge and Lockhart Basin are all pretty fun. My cousin has a 1st gen with a 3in and I have a Fabtech 6in. You'll have a blast.

10. May 26, 2011 at 12:31 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    I can't really recommend Gold Bar Rim to a DCLB...

[​IMG]

But SevenMile Rim would be fine. (Sorry, no snap for that one)

11. May 26, 2011 at 12:34 PM
    korslite

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Bellingham, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCLB Sport
    Hey good call! Maybe with a lot more speed!:burnrubber:haha

12. May 26, 2011 at 12:37 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    Also, Fins has a couple spots that are much easier with a rear locker.

Watched a 6" lifted Access Cab really struggle on a couple of the climbs that they tried to do unlocked before finally switching on the locker to make it. (EDIT - there may have been a bypass on both of those climbs, though - can't recall for sure.)

13. May 26, 2011 at 12:39 PM
    korslite

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Bellingham, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCLB Sport
    Hmmm... LSD only on my Sport. Will be loaded tho with camp gear and RTT...

14. May 26, 2011 at 12:40 PM
    Dark Knight

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    Use your e-brake as your rear locker. Has helped me out numerous times.

15. May 26, 2011 at 12:41 PM
    korslite

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Bellingham, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCLB Sport
    Good tip, thank you sir. I do remember reading that before right here on TW

16. May 26, 2011 at 12:46 PM
    korslite

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Bellingham, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCLB Sport
    You guys kick ass thanks for all the quick responses.

17. May 26, 2011 at 12:50 PM
    lotsoftoys

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    98 lifted panda taco
    bunch of crap
    dude its TW u expected any less!? ha wish u could've made it out for our trip. maybe in the fall or next year!

18. May 26, 2011 at 12:54 PM
    korslite

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Bellingham, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCLB Sport
    Heck no!!! Exactly what I expected from TW! I, like most people, have a strong love hate relationship with this site. Love lookin around, but hate the dissatisfaction it can create with the current state of my Tacoma. There are just too many expensive bits to WANT!
    I would love to make it out in spring or fall but they are usually busy times at work and vacation isn't always an option which suck. Good thing we like the dry desert heat i guess cuz I'm sure it'll be plenty hot in July/Aug

19. May 26, 2011 at 12:59 PM
    lotsoftoys

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    98 lifted panda taco
    bunch of crap

ha! im pretty sure its a love/hate relationship for all of us! most of us have mods done and we wont stop til we get the "ideal" truck in our minds... its rough i agree ha... and yeah its gonna be warm. remember to bring extra coolant, oil and diff oil! youll be sry if u dont have it and need it. and yeah man its gonna be warm. it was 87 at 4:30 in the afternoon when we left. it had to hit 95 at noon. good thing BOB and i were raging thru Kane's creek! lol

20. May 26, 2011 at 1:08 PM
    korslite

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Bellingham, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCLB Sport
    Good tip on extra fluids. Moab wheeling is just one stop on a 3600 mile round trip we will be making. I'll have to do some planning to take care of the ol' yota and keep her happy so we get home incident free.

View Larger Map">
    View Larger Map

Products Discussed in

To Top