1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Mod for your Mag-Lite

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by SeniorSpan, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Jan 19, 2012 at 7:25 PM
    t4daddy

t4daddy Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2008 PreRunner Double Cab
    I would like to tinker with something like that, just for shits and giggles. How is the throw on that, with the smallish, individual reflectors? I'd bet it's a bright mofo, with 5 Cree emitters. Maglights do make great host for frankenlights. Take a peek over on Candlepowerforums.com

2. Jan 19, 2012 at 7:28 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    ive had 2 maglights, will never buy another one again. They both crapped out on me in less then 2 years. One is now just used as a "bat" (6 d-cell)

3. Jan 19, 2012 at 8:16 PM
    t4daddy

Member:
    North Alabama
    Vehicle:
    I bought one (3-D) IIRC in the early 80's, paid around $30.00, which was quite a sum at that time, hell, I was only making about three dollars an hour at the time. Back then the lights were still made here in the states and VERY well made, and were innovative for the time, no one else offered an adjustable beam/pattern, waterproof, extra bulb in the tail cap. But the last few I've handled just don't have the same feel. I've got a couple of the little 2AA lights, one converted to LED, one incan. They are what they are, weak. My favorite little pocket rocket is a 4Sevens mini quark CR2, a tad fatter and shorter than a AA battery, (like 2/3 a roll of Certs) with three brightness settings, strobe, SOS and beacon.

4. Jan 19, 2012 at 8:25 PM
    rolltide3705

rolltide3705 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    A.J.
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner Sport Double Cab
  5. Jan 19, 2012 at 10:18 PM
    barlowrs

barlowrs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    Build Thread: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/builds/74926-barlowrs-06-taco-expo-build-thread.html OME Lift, FJ SE Wheels, 255/85 KM2, Allpro Plate Bumper, 8K Winch, Synthetic Line, Yaesu FT-8800R, Custom Sliders Sockmonkey bedside decals, BHLM, base model grille, TRD offroad (black) trim

Honstly, if you tune the beam of a standard LEDMaglight into a tiny pencil beam, it will through SLIGHLY further than the 5 cree dropin, but barely, and that is with a tiny pencil beam. the 5 cree is almost there with MUCH more light, just a wider beam to light up a much larger area.

6. Jan 19, 2012 at 10:43 PM
    t4daddy

Member:
    North Alabama
    Vehicle:
    That's kinda what I was wondering, (I did find the vid in the link you posted, after I responded). So, correct me if I'm wrong, a ton of spill, with very little spot?

7. Jan 20, 2012 at 8:17 AM
    barlowrs

barlowrs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    Build Thread: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/builds/74926-barlowrs-06-taco-expo-build-thread.html OME Lift, FJ SE Wheels, 255/85 KM2, Allpro Plate Bumper, 8K Winch, Synthetic Line, Yaesu FT-8800R, Custom Sliders Sockmonkey bedside decals, BHLM, base model grille, TRD offroad (black) trim
    No no, there is a very bright spot in the center of the beam, which is VERY close to the maglight when tuned all teh way to the tighest pencil beam, however in addition to the spot, it also has much more flood around it, so its the best of both worlds I guess. I mean truthfully if you really want ONLY a thrower, there are better options there.

Also, when I say the tuned maglight throws a bit further, I am talking about the LATEST gen Mag LED that is runing a CREE XP-E. This LED maglight alone is a HUGE upgrade over the original Rebel LED. (meaning I am comparing the modded light to the latest and brightest light made by Mag).

If you want to get just a stock magLED, make sure to get the Cree XP-E version, they are still selling the old rebel so you actually have to look inside the packaging and see what LED is actually mounted. The XP-E will give most >$150 lights a run for their money (at a fraction of the cost). about 500-600 meter throw in some reports (I have never measured, but it does throw FAR)

Products Discussed in

To Top