1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Modded possible money pit 05 GTO or stock 05/06 GTO

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by whippersnapper02, Dec 15, 2010.

?

What would you get

1. Modded Possible money-pit GTO

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  2. Stock GTO

22 vote(s)
    91.7%
  1. Dec 15, 2010 at 6:44 PM
    whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM TRD OR 4wd Auto DCSB
    Banks Monster Exhaust, Pop n Lock tailgate lock, Hook-Ups tie down brackets, USA Spec Ipod adaptor, WO seat covers, color matched grill with Grillcraft insert, Tuffy locking bed box
    So my buddy totaled his 06 GTO a week ago with only a year left of payments. He spent money on it making it fast but he only got $11.5 in pocket after paying off the loan. He is currently looking at an 05 GTO with an APS twin turbo kit, built transmission and 408ci LS2. The car makes 672hp and 685ftlbs of torque to the ground. This car was going for $25k with everything but the owner said he was driving on Monday when the coolant temp hot light came on and he pulled over before the car really overheated. It needs a head gasket on one bank now. Not sure if the head suffered any damage but the owner says not likely since he pulled over quickly and the head has studs instead of the stock tty head bolts. Also one of the turbos needed a rebuild so the guy bought a new turbo and replaced it. My buddy really wants this car because of the turbo kit. The owner only wants $21K as is. So off the bat he would have to spend about $1500 to have the head gasket replaced on top of the 21 for the car. I say no on this car. He can't even use it to its full potential because the car would need a cage to run on the track and the diff is stock so it would grenade itself with slicks on.

The other option would to buy a stock 05/06 GTO for about 16K and start modding again. The benefit with this option is that he can use 11.5 as down and get the remainder financed. He would only have about a year of payments then he would be free to mod it as he wants.

My friend is an alignment tech at a Just Tires so he isn't pulling in much and it doesn't help that he just got married and they are on their own. Whatever car he gets would be his DD car and he is set on buying another GTO. Personally I'd go for the stock one and start again. What would you do?

2. Dec 15, 2010 at 6:47 PM
    whippersnapper02

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    Banks Monster Exhaust, Pop n Lock tailgate lock, Hook-Ups tie down brackets, USA Spec Ipod adaptor, WO seat covers, color matched grill with Grillcraft insert, Tuffy locking bed box
    Option one should be: Modded possible money pit GTO

3. Dec 15, 2010 at 6:49 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides. Thor

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Big Easy, USA
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit Upcoming: ATO Gas Tank Skid and Sliders w/ kickout. ATO Shackle Flip Kit. Down the line: Front/Rear ARB Lockers w/ OBA. 4.56 Gears
    That tricked out car is going to be nothing but trouble IMHO.

I bought a truck like that-Pushing 500Hp to the ground by the time I was done fixing all the stuff the first owner messed up. Too bad it took me an engine replacement to get there. I don't buy stuff that other people build up.

I think you are talking sense- but in the end it's his life.

4. Dec 15, 2010 at 6:51 PM
    tinker_troy

tinker_troy I feel so Devo

Member:
    I agree with Brunes.
    You never know what all the previous owner did and if it's going to be his DD, I would definatly say go for the stock one.

5. Dec 15, 2010 at 6:52 PM
    Toph

Toph Addicted to V8s

Member:
    Dirty South
    Vehicle:
    90 Mustang Notch, 06 CTS-V
    It's never fun driving another person's project. Like brunes said, you end up fixing all the crap they never addressed. Plus mods rarely add significant value to a car...let alone nearly 10 grand. Now that it's not working he's only knocking off a few grand? No way. It was worth maybe 20 when it was running right...now it's maybe worth 16 since you don't know for sure the extent of the damage.

All things considered though...doesn't sound like he needs a faster GTO...already has enough trouble handling a stock one (and it's a pretty easy car to handle already).

6. Dec 15, 2010 at 6:59 PM
    whippersnapper02

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    Well he rear ended a car on the street. Everyone slammed on their brakes and he just stopped short. The isn't that bad but total damage was about $10K because the parts are hard to come by.

[​IMG]

7. Dec 15, 2010 at 7:07 PM
    1337Taco

1337Taco Slamry

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off-Road
    Camburg Spindles, Bilstein Rear plus AAL. 285 Hankook MT.
    That gto you described will be such a money pit. It will need tons of upgrades if it's putting down that much power, and as you said it will also need a new head gasket as well as a cage.

8. Dec 15, 2010 at 7:11 PM
    Wile

Wile Back in the game!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 DC TRD Offroad
    Pioneer AVH-5600BHS, ScanGauge, Wet Okole Seat Covers
    No offense, Thats not a GTO.

This is a GTO vvvvvv

[​IMG]

Pontiac should be ashamed of themselves putting "GTO" on that car. Spend your money elsewhere. My .02

9. Dec 15, 2010 at 7:12 PM
    Toph

Toph Addicted to V8s

Member:
    Dirty South
    Vehicle:
    90 Mustang Notch, 06 CTS-V
    I see...well scratch that point...I still would prefer building one myself even if it costs a few grand more. You'll save at least that much knowing your car better and being able to better deal with it as a result.

10. Dec 15, 2010 at 7:30 PM
    Trever1t

Trever1t Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area CA.
    Vehicle:
    '06 Basic Tacoma

Not necessarily true. My little 5.3L puts down 625 rear wheel hp and 762ftlbs to the rear tires and is/has been headache free for the last 40k miles. It's not like I can drive it around WOT all the time, right?

That said I'd stay with a stocker as that one does sound like it's been beaten on. ;)

11. Dec 15, 2010 at 7:31 PM
    Quakee

Quakee Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    (LA) Tujunga, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road 4x4
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, Total Chaos UCAs, spidertrax spacers, mudflaps removed, 4wd badge where "prerunner" usually goes, wicked flow 13" muffler, sound ordnance b-8pt sub-woofer.
    1: Buy stock mustang
    2: Built mustang
    3: ???????
    4: Profit.

my .02

12. Dec 15, 2010 at 7:40 PM
    whippersnapper02

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    Again he is set on a 05 or 06 GTO not a shitty mustang or a classic GTO. Also a GTO is a GTO no matter what year.

13. Dec 15, 2010 at 7:44 PM
    Wile

Wile Back in the game!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 DC TRD Offroad
    Pioneer AVH-5600BHS, ScanGauge, Wet Okole Seat Covers
    copy that :)

i got nothing for ya then.

14. Dec 15, 2010 at 7:44 PM
    Trever1t

Trever1t Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area CA.
    Vehicle:
    '06 Basic Tacoma
    GTO is a badass car. Easy to mod with the best aftermarket. Mustang? Slow slow slow. :D

15. Dec 15, 2010 at 7:55 PM
    whippersnapper02

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    Lol. No worries. I would have a classic car but you have to be rich, really really lucky or have a family member that bought it new and held onto it.

16. Dec 15, 2010 at 8:05 PM
    Unknown

Unknown He who angers you conquers you

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Unknown
    Unknown
    03-04 cobra. "Drool"

17. Dec 15, 2010 at 8:05 PM
    Unknown

Unknown He who angers you conquers you

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Unknown
    Unknown
    I meant :drool:

18. Dec 15, 2010 at 8:05 PM
    whippersnapper02

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    Nice but $$$.

19. Dec 15, 2010 at 8:10 PM
    98_Mud_bug

98_Mud_bug 98_mud_bug

Member:
    lucedale Ms.
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma sr5/ 06 x-runner
    3 inch suspension lift, night shades corner and blinkers projector headlights with halos and 3 led's 18 inch kmc xd rockstar wheels,275/65/18 kelly safari tsr's, bush whacker fender flares 7 inch touch screen, 2 kenwood 12's, Magnaflow exaust single in dual out,
    the stock one, then mod the hell out of it..

20. Dec 20, 2010 at 9:55 AM
    whippersnapper02

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    Well my buddy smarted up. He was thinking about a G8 gt but decided on another GTO. It is a 06 with 30K miles. I think he got it for 17,000. It is all stock except for a navi head unit. Basically it is the same car as the old one except this new one has the optional 18 inch wheels.

[​IMG]

Here is a pic of the old one:

[​IMG]

To Top