1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Modifications & insurance?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Lava-road, Jun 13, 2022.

1. Jun 14, 2022 at 1:15 AM
    _FREEDOMTACO

_FREEDOMTACO Brewmaster

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRDOR DCSB 4x4 M/T
    @cromag27 since you’re here in this thread and it’s about insurance, while we’re on the topic, I’m about to install roughly $5500 worth of suspension (Fox & Deaver) to replace my Bilstein setup, should I call my insurance agent and let them know? Would they cover it? I have GEICO full coverage in California

Last edited: Jun 14, 2022
  2. Jun 14, 2022 at 2:01 AM
    Pro-Taco

Pro-Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR DCSB 4X4 Prem/Tech Cement
    All TRD Pro parts
    If they offer special/additional equipment coverage, you should. Take photos and keep your receipts.

SR-71A likes this.
  3. Jun 14, 2022 at 4:37 AM
    FL_TRD Sport

FL_TRD Sport Suffering from Severe Wallet Drain

Member:
    First Name:
    Hector
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Sport MGM DCLB (Sold)
    KDMax Pro 10.0, Form Lighting Tail Lights, and more
    My Progressive policy automatically covered up to $1k in add-ons as part of the base premium. The cost to add another $1k was like $10 for 6 months. In case of a loss you had to have a receipt for the add-ons. Since my truck is basically stock $2k will cover my wheels and tonneau cover.

4. Jun 14, 2022 at 4:46 AM
    Ryeguy

Ryeguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    43* North
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Off Road 4X4 Blackout
    OEM Bed Extension, Bed Mat, Lomax Bed Cover, Auto lock tailgate (OEM)
    I think there is no harm in protecting yourself with a quick phone call, especially if your modifications are fairly expensive (full suspension, rims, etc.). I’m not calling to tell the insurance company about my $100 dash cam.

I think the coverage risk comes only if you modify your vehicle to the point where it is no longer road legal. If you have an accident and it is determined your vehicle was not compliant with the state law, I could see your insurance company having an issue with your coverage.

FWIW, my only experience with this was on a motorcycle. I was hit while riding and the other driver’s insurance covered everything. Luckily, their claims agent was also a rider and he gave me full value for all the add-ons I had on my Triumph Daytona (carbon fiber exhaust, Corbin seat, color matched rear seat cover, etc.). They even paid for all my safety gear (Aria helmet, leather jacket, gloves, etc.).

I wasn’t made “whole” because I kept my bike in pristine condition and even the top blue book value wasn’t enough to replace it, but at least I wasn’t nickel and dimed over every damaged item.

SR-71A likes this.
  5. Jun 14, 2022 at 7:58 AM
    cammerv8

cammerv8 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Silver Tacoma Trd Sport DCSB
    Bed inlays stickers
    insurance will cover the vehicle regardless of modifications unless the fault is doing reckless stuff ( off-roading). and would only cover the base vehicle no mods. now when you inform the insurance on the modification, they up your rate and will cover and additional amount when they pay out for a totaled car.

as for what you are describing about cancellations and denial of repairs with modifications this is more of my field. you are talking about extended warranties. i work at one, I'm the one actually approving repairs and paying the shops. 90% of them have a VSC( Vehicle service Contract) they have set coverage on parts for repairs. you get this when you buy a used car from a dealer. they usually up-sell you this, but now the dealers will force you to take it. i have one on my Tacoma, this will cover repairs for non wear components. for the next 100k miles. the majority of the people that get them don't read the actual paper and in there will tell you that if you MODIFY the vehicle meainig lifts, oversize tires, performance parts. ETC they can Deny claim or cancel your contract.

My guess is the examples that you have for that canadian guy probably is for an extended warranty that does not allow aftermarket mods. and they cancel the coverage. mind i tell you that a lot of people confuse extended warrantied with insurance and are SOL if something insurance base happens

Last edited: Jun 14, 2022
  6. Jun 14, 2022 at 8:15 AM
    Off Topic Guy

Off Topic Guy 2023 Trophy Points - Runner Up

Member:
    If I ever find myself in need of really bad advice, I'm coming straight to TW o_O

Pro-Taco, auskip07 and Borracho Loco like this.
  7. Jun 14, 2022 at 8:24 AM
    4x4spiegel

4x4spiegel Well-Known Member

Member:
    for you @Lava-road https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD6Zq505pnM

8. Jun 14, 2022 at 10:30 AM
    Lava-road

Lava-road [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd-off road
    Hard top camper...many more to add+
    Better to declare the mods or your insurance company may void any claims
    Most insurance companies wii not cover the mods replacements.

Google - Should i declare modifications to my car insurance. Or what happens if I do not tell my car insurance about my modification. Or modified my car and car insurance.
    Research, better yet call your insurance agent.

You may get many answers. No car insurance company have the same written policies. Every state regulations and car insurance policy may have different requirements.

Learning about this was a surprise, it seems it open a can of worms, many here DO NOT like this topic.

Protect yourself, call your car insurance company, they may say, “NO worries”! We do not cover mods. And ok to mod you trucks.

I hope some of you will benefit by this topic. No one wants to file a insurance claim and be denied because our car insurance was not notified of changes done to our trucks. I believe there is a “misrepresentation cause”?

Again best to talk to your insurance agents.

I learn this from a College teacher in a business class, 70’s. He said “ Do you know who are the richest companies in America? And Where the banks borrow money from? Answer is “ Insurance Companies. Every month people have to pay there insurance coverage.

9. Jun 14, 2022 at 10:58 AM
    clg

clg Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Off-road
    But you feel the need to start a thread explaining how things work....lol

Borracho Loco likes this.
  10. Jun 14, 2022 at 10:59 AM
    Lava-road

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd-off road
    Freedomtaco your name says it all. Tacoma trucks gives us more freedom .

“Wow”; to your up grades from Bilstein to Fox and deavers springs.

I did call my Geico car insurance agent, it did increase my policy $92.00 for every six months and will cover a portion of my mods replacement cost. And they were notified of the mods. Beware of the “misrepresentation cause” cause. Any changes to your truck is better to be safe to let your Geico agent know.

11. Jun 14, 2022 at 11:05 AM
    MR E30

MR E30 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Wherever it's parked
    Vehicle:
    2021 Silver TRD OR DCLB w/ AluCab and All the Mods
    I'm in the same boat. At just about $100,000 now, truck included. Covering that much in upgrades is tricky. I don't really want another daily due to the cost, my living/parking situation, and the fact that I really enjoy driving my Tacoma everyday. Though a daily may be the only way to get some sort of Agreed Upon Value coverage for the Tacoma.

12. Jun 14, 2022 at 11:10 AM
    auskip07

auskip07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Skip
    Atlanta, Ga
    Vehicle:
    2019 TACOMA SR V6 , 4X4, AUTO, 4.88, 265/75 r16
    Im sure that article was written by an insurance company. They love having a reason to charge more money for premiums.

Take your chances and if you get into an accident accept the fact that no matter what you wont be made whole.

13. Jun 14, 2022 at 11:19 AM
    tektaco84

tektaco84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Winnipeg Canada
    Vehicle:
    '17 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 (DCLB)
    Where in Canada? Provincial insurance regulations/coverage options do vary from province to province but I've never heard of coverage being cancelled outright based on vehicle modifications or aftermarket parts.

Speaking purely from my own experience with modified vehicles (resident of Manitoba), I've had insurance not cover the aftermarket parts but claims were approved and I was able to remove the parts myself before surrendering the vehicle. In another instance, I had aftermarket wheels and tires covered under a claim because I purchased and installed them within six months of the claim.

There are variables at play but I've never heard of an insurance provider just withdrawing coverage without notice.

auskip07 likes this.
  14. Jun 14, 2022 at 11:46 AM
    Lava-road

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd-off road
    Cig Please take it for what it is worth. You may not like it . No one like to deal with there car insurance too.

The Geico agent was very helpful and now I do not need to worry about this anymore.

I glad I learn about this before , rather then later. “Preventions are always better then cures”

15. Jun 14, 2022 at 12:14 PM
    auskip07

Member:
    First Name:
    Skip
    Atlanta, Ga
    Vehicle:
    yes "the insurance company is going to take care of me" Famous last words.

16. Jun 14, 2022 at 12:30 PM
    Lava-road

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd-off road
    Yes this can be true many times, of those famous last words, but the guy who got $57,000 for Tacoma , more then he actually paid. Sometimes you can win? Or even break even.

Paying my deductible, was better then paying the whole damages! I got free towing added to my insurance policy. My Tacoma had a problem, no charges to the dealership.

…and yes sometimes we can lose!

iIf your truck is more then 10 years old? You do not want to over insure it. Best to read for yourself or call your insurance agent.

17. Jun 14, 2022 at 12:32 PM
    auskip07

Member:
    First Name:
    Skip
    Atlanta, Ga
    Vehicle:
    Free towing? you do understand nothing is free. You're paying for it you just dont know it.

18. Jun 14, 2022 at 12:47 PM
    pdaddy

pdaddy WeLl-KnOwN mEmBeR

Member:
    First Name:
    Preston
    Central AL
    Vehicle:
    ‘13 DCSB Converted Prerunner 4wd
    I’ll throw in my experience. USAA covers up to $5K in mods, anymore and you have to add additional coverage, you don’t have to tell them. When I converted to 4wd, I was curious so I specifically told them it is now 4wd and they said it’s covered under the $5K in mods clause and would be fixed with OEM parts (FJ cruiser parts I’m assuming?) My rates stayed the same. Totally cash money

19. Jun 14, 2022 at 12:59 PM
    Lava-road

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd-off road
    OK I use the wrong word “free”. I can use this towing once a year, per vehicle. The cost was minuscule on my vehicles insurance. Vs the cost if I had to pay a towing company.
    I called it “free” .
    Like AAA services, no charge for towing, gas, fix a flat, lock outs, jump starts, etc. , many will called it “free” but at a price or cost. Just a term many of us like to use.

I am guessing I am free to use the word free in the manner I choose for myself. Is It free to do this? Lol

I know it cost a lot , to live free in America! Here we go again?

20. Jun 14, 2022 at 1:01 PM
    Lava-road

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd-off road
    Pdaddy thank you, sounds like you got a great insurance company. Wish all car insurance have the same offers.

Products Discussed in

To Top