1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Modified Tundra Rack Swap Preorder

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tacoma Parts Marketplace (2005-2015)' started by Basikbiker, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Dec 30, 2022 at 5:15 AM
    ClassyTacos

ClassyTacos I must know whats on page 47

Member:
    First Name:
    Papalote
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport 4x4
    Stockish
    I started my rack install yesterday morning. Tons of fun. Stock rack was kinda a pain to get out, Tundra rack was a huge pain to get in. After trying for about 40 minutes fighting the oil filter canister housing, I finally lifted the engine up. Not alot just loosened 2 engine mount nuts and jacked it up a little. Worked perfectly and was able to get the rack in. Don't even waste your time trying to get it in without raising the engine a little. Makes it much easier. I can also say at this point the shorter intermediate shaft worked and fits well. Right now I have the rack siting in the cradle no bolts in as I need to center the rack into the cradle so I have to do some spinning of the eccentric bushings. Also a good idea to grind down the bungs for the bolts on the cradle, as the rack is much thicker than stock. Last pic is the bungs ground down. Couple of pics.

Stock vs the after market.
    e IMG_4964.jpg
    CC4E9F4E-9253-464D-A48B-DD6E55B6B389.jpg2232E6EF-2A20-4A8D-BFF2-5E8A132B9362.jpgIMG_4974.jpg

Last edited: Dec 30, 2022
  2. Dec 30, 2022 at 6:06 AM
    Brian422

Brian422 I fell into the pit that is TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Birmingham, AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 DBCSB F/R Locked, 35's ,Long travel, 23 Tundra 4x4 limited
    Not Stock
    Hell yea, glad that looks like its going to work out! Who would have thunk it lol

3. Dec 31, 2022 at 4:26 AM
    ClassyTacos

Member:
    First Name:
    Papalote
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport 4x4
    Stockish
    Day 2 update. Pic heavy. The rack is in all lines connected, the intermediate shaft is in, all new fluid and flushed the system. I had a hard time adjusting the bushings to get them just right, it took a while. I recommend lining them up with the stock rack first. You could use a dowel or a long punch to get them through the stock rack bushings, then the bushings in the Tundra Rack while it sits on top of the stock rack. This will get you a good starting point before it goes in. I did not think about this till after I was done with the install. Once the rack is in put a bolt through one of the bushings with a nut on loosely. Keep it loose, then you can grab the bushing lip with a set of channel locks and turn it left or right to fine tune the other bolt. No easy way around it, there will be some back and fourth here to get it just right. For the low pressure line on the on the driver side, I ran it under the high pressure line to keep it off the frame a little, it sits over the high pressure line stock. In order for me to get the intermediate shat in I had to remove the driver side bolt, leave the passenger side bolt in still loose and slide the rack forward a bit to create some space. Do this after you have the bushings lined up and the rack in place. On my truck the intermediate shaft is rubbing up against the frame enough to remove the paint on the lower ribs of the shaft. It might be a good idea to hit the ribs with a flap disc before the install to remove some material. I do not have a good pic of this as the cats were hot and effecting the camera. I'll put up a a good pic when I have a chance to take one. Overall it was a rough install, so be prepared. Have a good breakfast, give your self time and don't rage quite. Once it's in it fits, it's just getting it in that blows.

Here is a pic @Basikbiker sent me when I messaged him during one of my walk away for 5 minutes moments. Here you can see where the bolts are through the bushings for a good starting point.
    2ABE6A32-3967-4E8D-A4A5-0877F9750261.jpg

Here is a pic of the rack in, I have a good amount of clearance under the front of the engine. I added an 1/8 of an inch C type washer to the motor mount for added clearance.
    Rack.jpg

Here is a pic of where I added the washer, it sits between the engine motor mount and the frame side motor mount. There are other options out there, this worked for me. I may explore different options in the future. I'm also not sure if its completely necessary, figured I had the engine up so did it just in case.
    C washer.jpg

Here is a pic of the bushing lip where you will be adjusting it with the channel locks, you can see the teeth marks from all the back and fourth. I also placed a large washer under the bushing as mine where ground down flush and I wanted to add a little clearance over on the driver side above the CVs as RCVs are going in soon. The washer sits off set as the spot is close to the diff mount bung.
    Rack1.jpg

On a side note the stock tundra rack dust boot fits the Warfab tie rod sleeves perfectly. Since there is no grove in the sleeve it will slide off when you turn full lock but it does fit kinda tight with the stock Tundra clamp. It slid off here in the pic after I turned the wheels.

Tundra Sleeve.jpg

Here you can see the high and low pressure lines and how tight the clearances are on the driver side. My lines were still soft so no kinks in the lines.

Hose Pic.jpg

If you have any questions or would like some other pics, please let me know.

4. Jan 3, 2023 at 4:42 AM
    SGTCap

SGTCap Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cap
    Summerville, SC
    Vehicle:
    4x4 6-spd,
    37s, 4x4 6-spd, OME 886s, Allpro Expos, SOS sliders and front/rear bumpers,Rack,Skids, 4.56s, Lockers,Recon Winch, TJM RTT, Lots of tools, boxes and gear. Shaggy mutt behind the seat

This was extremely helpful. Thank you

ClassyTacos[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Jan 4, 2023 at 2:41 AM
    ClassyTacos

Member:
    First Name:
    Papalote
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport 4x4
    Stockish
    Quick update

The pinion clears the RCVs. Diff side RCV is much larger over stock, I can confirm it clears. Also adding a pic of where the intermediate shaft is rubbing up against the frame the smallest amount.

IMG_5025.jpg IMG_5026.jpg

Shaft just touching the frame.

touchung frame.jpg

6. Jan 4, 2023 at 6:04 AM
    Buttskevin21

Buttskevin21 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2019 Brocoma, 37s, Lt, Dual Tcases, blah blah blah https://www.instagram.com/kevinjbutts/
    Stock-ish
    I'd be careful with body/frame flex, mine barely rubbed on the street and the first trip I went wheeling, I could barely turn the truck since the body/frame flex so much and basically was trying to gouge the frame out instead of a small rub.

ClassyTacos[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Jan 4, 2023 at 11:55 AM
    EatSleepTacos

EatSleepTacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    I was gonna say something similar. That’s why I cut out the whole section and replaced it with DOM.

ADAFC512-9A97-49D3-9957-28E91AE8488E.jpg

c_walters and Jkriegs.13 like this.
  8. Jan 4, 2023 at 3:12 PM
    ClassyTacos

Member:
    First Name:
    Papalote
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport 4x4
    Stockish
    Appreciate it fellas. I had planned to take the shaft off and grind down the lower 3 ribs with a flap disc. I don't have your welding skills. To be honest, I needed a break from the garage for a couple days. I'm actually glad I waited. Had the truck at the alignment shop today, drives down the road straight and the wheel is perfectly straight. Now that I know everything is straight I can lock it down/mark it up and remove the shaft for grinding. It would have been easier to remove it with the CVs off but it is what it is. I enjoy the challenge, mostly.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2023
    Ricardo13x and CMScheid like this.
  9. Jan 4, 2023 at 3:21 PM
    EatSleepTacos

EatSleepTacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    That’s what I originally did, grind down the ribs. That’s how I learned it’s hollow, meant to collapse in case of an accident, so grinding won’t work.

If you have no other options you are welcome to mail me your original shaft and a piece of tube (I can get you measurements) and weld it up for you for free, it’s not much work.

erok81, SUMOTNK, Jkriegs.13 and 4 others like this.
  10. Jan 4, 2023 at 3:58 PM
    ClassyTacos

Member:
    First Name:
    Papalote
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport 4x4
    Stockish

Well that throws a big ass wrench in plans.
    Thank you for the offer and for letting me know. If I take you up on it I'll pm you. I really appreciate it.

EatSleepTacos[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Jan 4, 2023 at 4:33 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    From here on out, anyone named Randy is a cool dude in my book.

12. Jan 4, 2023 at 6:20 PM
    Basikbiker

Basikbiker [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trav
    Vehicle:
    09 AccCab 4x4 spaceship
    My doors are the only stock things left besides the headlights
    also i think i have a spare shaft sitting in my shop...if you can get me an overall measurement i can fab one up and send it out to ya, just send me your shaft after the swap

13. Jan 5, 2023 at 2:53 AM
    ClassyTacos

Member:
    First Name:
    Papalote
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport 4x4
    Stockish
    Thank you, PM incoming. I will be able to send you two shafts, the stock one and the shorter aftermarket one.

Ricardo13x likes this.
  14. Jan 7, 2023 at 9:27 AM
    Basikbiker

Member:
    First Name:
    Trav
    Vehicle:
    09 AccCab 4x4 spaceship
    Just a small update, I'm workin on another run of the racks this month and will have one or two with me bringing em down to KOH, so holler at me if ya want one

15. Jan 14, 2023 at 8:01 AM
    c_walters

c_walters Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mooresville, Nc
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport 6MT MGM
    Adding the tundra swap to my todo list. Biggest tire I’ll run is a 35” but I like to be overbuilt.

Basikbiker[OP] likes this.
  16. Jan 17, 2023 at 4:15 PM
    trd_kevin

trd_kevin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tacoma TRD 4x4
    Too much
    Just set up my pre order for a rack from Travis, hopefully keep you guys updated on the install process

Basikbiker[OP] likes this.
  17. Jan 17, 2023 at 7:51 PM
    snowsk8air2

snowsk8air2 how hard can it be?

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged TX Pro
    2011 S/C and basic mods
    I also used to tell myself lies such as this

18. Jan 18, 2023 at 10:14 AM
    Basikbiker

Member:
    First Name:
    Trav
    Vehicle:
    09 AccCab 4x4 spaceship
    i told myself 37s were max.....but i have some 39s sitting here for the other build and im like......maybe they fit

19. Jan 18, 2023 at 10:34 AM
    Sasquatch3153

Sasquatch3153 Sassy Squatch

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2010 ACLB OR
    Anything can fit with a little persuasion :sawzall:

erok81 and rzathagza like this.
  20. Jan 18, 2023 at 1:38 PM
    snowsk8air2

snowsk8air2 how hard can it be?

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged TX Pro
    2011 S/C and basic mods
    I almost ended up with 39’s instead of 37’s because the 37’s were back ordered for a few months and I was getting impatient

erok81 and ClassyTacos like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top