1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Momentary Sputtering 3RZ

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by TacoRojo, Mar 18, 2015.

1. May 1, 2015 at 12:02 AM
    TacoRojo

TacoRojo [OP] Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    00' Brilliant Red Super Clean
    Magnaflow 11255 18" muffler dumped before the axle, Hankook Dynapro AT/M 31 x 10.50 R15, Planet Audio 4 Channel amp Alpine Bluetooth Receiver and Bazooka 8" bass tube behind drivers seat, 35% tint all the way around with sun strip on the windshield.
    @Mod @Stephen1231 I was able to pull both the manifolds and all the junk involved today. I had the exhaust manifold off in about an hour then had to go run errands for several hours. I came home and started pulling the intake manifold off. For some reason, when I pulled the plenum off the studs, This started happening. Coolant and water flowing from this cylinder. I think it's now safe to say I should pull the head :(. When I separated the down pipe from the cataylitic converter, there was a small waterfall of rusty water as well. The inside of the intake manifold is coated in oil, the ports on the intake head are FILTHY. Is that normal? Is it related to the fact that my cooling system is now mostly H2O and not so much Antifreeze? Any thoughts will be appreciated. Thanks for all the help so far. Everyone has been very helpful in getting this issue resolved.

exhaust port coolant (1).jpg

2. May 5, 2015 at 5:28 PM
    Mod

Mod Well-Known Member

Member:
    CR, WA
    Vehicle:
    1999 8 port 3RZ 4WD SR5
    stock
    I take it you did not drain the water from the system/radiator before pulling the intake manifold. If not, you might have loaded the oil pan with water since it has had time to sit and seep down after that cylinder was filled with water. A couple back to back oil changes should get most of that out.

Regardless, It looks like that cylinder has been pumping water out,,and possibly the one next to it as well that is slightly white on that port wall. The water fillage could have also pumped past the open valves as it also took a glug of water.

Last edited: May 5, 2015

Products Discussed in

To Top