1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Momma wants a gun!

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by NicNac22, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Nov 26, 2011 at 6:09 PM
    CNEDEER

CNEDEER If ya ain't first, your last!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC TRD OR 4x4
    I purchased a springfield XDM 9mm 3.8 and that gun above as well. the KAHR was a good shooting gun, but I traded it in because I got my CCW and want somethign with a safety of sorts. Therefore, I would recommened the springfield xd 40 3.0 subcompact as that is what I am looking at getting.

2. Nov 26, 2011 at 6:09 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon Musk Moderator

Member:
    SW .38+p 5 shot 2.5 snub nose

3. Nov 26, 2011 at 6:09 PM
    NicNac22

NicNac22 [OP] D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Wild and Wonderful
    Vehicle:
    95 V6 4x4 ex cab SR5 5sp PICKUP!!!
    fun stuff coming soon! New battery, radiator and CV joints and axles. Added some Rancho RS5000 shocks.
    is it a revolver? if not shes not interested

shes pickier than me.

no revolver, no go!

she doesnt want a clip

4. Nov 26, 2011 at 6:15 PM
    Warhorseforever

Warhorseforever Will The Thrill

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner SR5
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box
    Disregard that I can't tell you much about revolvers except that I love my friends S&W .357 mag and my Grandmothers .38 special.

5. Nov 26, 2011 at 6:17 PM
    skidooman

skidooman I'm your huckleberry

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    19 Taco
    Kings, JBA, BAMF, C4, Deaver, Prinsu, TJM, SnugTop, 5.29s
    Thats just a caliber. You can get .357 in just about every revolver out there. Also the longer the barrel, the heavier, the less recoil. But also more cumbersome while carrying. Smith and wesson and ruger both make good revolvers. Also does she want single or double action? Single is where you have to pull the hammer back before you can pull the trigger. Double is either pull the hammer back for a lighter trigger pull, or just poul the trigger.

6. Nov 26, 2011 at 6:21 PM
    NicNac22

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Wild and Wonderful
    Vehicle:
    fun stuff coming soon! New battery, radiator and CV joints and axles. Added some Rancho RS5000 shocks.
    we need some suggestions to try, but revolver only!!! she said she doesnt want a damn clip...lol

but stopping a hog or coyote in 5 shots...not gonna stop a bear, thats a big difference. it needs to stop a coyote on one and a bear in 5

shes not exactly a small woman, shes fairly strong.

7. Nov 26, 2011 at 6:23 PM
    NicNac22

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Wild and Wonderful
    Vehicle:
    she wants a double. i dont think she wants a long barrel, she can handle some kick just prefers not have it.

8. Nov 26, 2011 at 6:24 PM
    Bajatacoma

Bajatacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Off-Road, SR5, 6 speed

Don't take the suggestion to get some instruction the wrong way as it was not intended to be rude; also there's plenty of folks who've been shooting/hunting for years and really aren't that proficient. Some of the scariest folks I've ever seen with regards to gun handling tend to be older country guys with their deer rifles and old revolvers. Bad habits tend to become ingrained just like good ones. That's not to say you or your mother fall into that category but having never met either of you we have no way of knowing. Additionally, a true defensive carry type class with a good instructor can point out faults and offer suggestions for better performance. I've been shooting since I was a kid too and my father was a Marine Corps small arms instructor but that doesn't mean I haven't learned from some of the classes I've taken.

That said, a .357 is fine for most areas in the continental states. Mountain lions have fairly thin skin and black bears are smaller and thinner than browns. All of the game animals in the US have been taken with .357 before. .45 Long Colt is another good choice; you can load them down like Cowboy Action Shooting loads or, in the Ruger* and Freedom Arms guns, you can load them just past .44mag levels. It's an easy to shoot cartridge and there are lots of factory loads available; it's an easy cartridge to handload too.

If she doesn't mind a semiauto the .40S&W and .45ACP are both good cartridges. 10mm is excellent but it's harder to find and more expensive to shoot; in full power loads it's very close to .41mag ballistics. It's also easy to shoot in a polymer framed gun like the Glock 29 whereas the steel framed guns such as Colt's Delta Elite can be a handful with full power loads. Personally, if I were looking for a new woods walking type gun I'd probably go with a Glock 30 (45ACP) with a KKM 10mm conversion barrel so I could shoot either round. The G30 is about the size of the G19/23. I'm not a Glock fanboy, but they do work very well and their finish is very durable.

*The Ruger New Vaquero is not rated for +P .45LC rounds but they're other models are including the old model Vaquero.

ETA- disregard the part about the semi-auto since I got called away from the computer after I'd already started typing a response.

In a general use handgun, look at something like S&W's K frame .357s i.e. model 65. I like the 3" barrels but that's a personal choice. the L frame guns such as the 686 are heavier and larger. Ruger also makes a nice revolver although I find them heavier and less graceful; they don't feel as good in my hand. I'm not a fan of Taurus but for an economical occasional use gun they're not a bad buy of you can find one with a decent trigger or do the work yourself.

9. Nov 26, 2011 at 6:31 PM
    NicNac22

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Wild and Wonderful
    Vehicle:
    didnt take the suggestions rude or anything, just wasnt the point of the thread, everyone was sayin take some classes. I was just stating she didnt need them, my grandfather, her dad, was in the military and hes super strick with guns, they arent something to play with, he doesnt even like you holding them too much, use it for what you need to use it for, clean it and put it away. we are country, but dont handle guns like self taught country folk. we were taught how to handle them first.

10. Nov 26, 2011 at 6:36 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon Musk Moderator

Member:
    So she wants a double stack mag?

:p

11. Nov 26, 2011 at 7:08 PM
    jclofton

jclofton Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Conyers
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD SPORT
    Lady Smith, .357, double action... Can shoot .38's as well, nice fit for most females wanting a revolver... Very nice gun... My daughters have them... Very pleased...

12. Nov 26, 2011 at 7:17 PM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner Double Cab TRD Sport
    OP, ..i know you are "country", and all... but i don't understand why that has to ensinuate "revolver only", ...also, a friendly reminder that "clips" are just devices that hold ammo, ..magazines are devices that hold and feed ammo.

now, to answer your question, ...if you want to carry a handgun w/ half a prayer at stopping a charging bear, ...we'll i'd suggest you "start" at 460 magnum, 454 Casul, ..and work up from there ;) the other half of the prayer, is that there is enough closing distance and calm nerves to sustain aimed fire at a raging bear charging at you.

13. Nov 26, 2011 at 7:40 PM
    TheGloryFades

TheGloryFades Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    '13 toaster
  14. Nov 26, 2011 at 9:31 PM
    Rmodel65

Rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

Member:
    Jawja
    Vehicle:
    1996 Yota 4x4
    Viper Red paint

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=262523521
    Thread/

15. Nov 27, 2011 at 9:00 AM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    I've heard good things about the Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan

It comes in .44mag and .454 casull

16. Nov 27, 2011 at 12:05 PM
    billyjoe

billyjoe Taco Fever - I've got it bad!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB V6 4WD LTD
    Extang Trifecta Tonneau
    So, summarizing, the selection criteria is:

1. Large caliber (>.22LR) Double-Action Revolver (no Semi-Autos - especially 9mm).
    2. Must stop coyote with 1 shot, bear with <=5.
    3. Ammo must cost < .41 Mag and be readily available.
    4. Mom is a lefty, strong, can handle powerful recoil but prefers not to (no Desert Eagles!).
    5. Mom liked S&W 57.

Have you considered a Ruger GP100 (in .357 mag)?

http://www.ruger.com/products/gp100/index.html

The GP100 is considerably less expensive than S&Ws with excellent quality and rugged durabilty. Make sure to get a barrel length of >=4" (whatever you buy). Anything less will not achieve the spec'd muzzle velocity thereby dramatically reducing impact expansion (i.e. - stopping power). I'd also suggest getting a Stainless-Steel version (KGP-141/161) for finish durability. Of course, with a .357 Mag, you can always shoot cheaper (& less recoil) .38 Special ammo as well. Hope that helps! :)

P.S. - AVOID Taurus, Charter Arms, Rossi & North American Arms. Many gunsmiths refuse to work on them! :mad:
    Stick with S&W or Ruger. ;)

P.S. #2 - Local Gun Shows & Gunbroker.com are good places to pick up a new revolver for a great price!

17. Nov 27, 2011 at 1:18 PM
    NicNac22

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Wild and Wonderful
    Vehicle:
    country was just stating that we know how to use firearms, and that we could skip the suggestions of going to a safty class and get down to the recommendations. she like the look of the revolver more and wants one, she doesnt want a gun with a clip, or a 9mm. She also shot a rattle snake square in the middle of the head because my bros life was in danger. So with that said, i dont doubt her skills. I dont think ive ever seen her panic about anything.

So, summarizing, the selection criteria is:

1. Large caliber (>.22LR) Revolver (no Semi-Autos or 9mm).
    2. Must stop coyote with 1 shot, bear with <=5.
    3. Ammo must cost < .41 Mag and be readily available.
    4. Mom is a lefty, strong, can handle powerful recoil but prefers not to (no Desert Eagles!).
    5. Mom liked S&W 57.
    6. Prefers the gun to look old school.
    7. Atleast 4" barrel, overall gun length apprx. 9" min, i think

18. Nov 27, 2011 at 1:20 PM
    NicNac22

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Wild and Wonderful
    Vehicle:
    she said that one is too small, so min 4" barrel length. this woman is picky :rolleyes:

19. Nov 27, 2011 at 1:24 PM
    Warhorseforever

Warhorseforever Will The Thrill

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner SR5
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box
    If momma likes the SW 57 couldn't her daughter get her one? Seems that y'all have your gun picked out already.

20. Nov 27, 2011 at 1:26 PM
    Jez

Jez Hittn' easy steet on mud tires

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 Black DC TRD SR5
    K&N air intake, Fox 2.5 coilovers, Total Chaos UCA's, AllPro Expo rear leaf pack, Fox 2.0 rear shocks, Diff Drop, U-Bolt Flip kit, Drive Shaft shim kit, Weathertech's, Borla cat back, Ultra Gauge,Clarion Radio, 18% tinted windows all the way around, smoked tail lights and rear break light, painted front chrome grill black, stained yellow fog lights, black head light mod, Interior LED kit, LED reverse lights, black leather arm rest mod

Products Discussed in

To Top