1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Money or a life?

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by GreeGunc, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Jun 19, 2018 at 8:29 AM
    GreeGunc

GreeGunc [OP] Full of regret

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    North GA
    Vehicle:
    1st gen 3rz+18' inferno OR 6spd
    2lo mod. PIAA 510s. Green Floor Lights. Green dash swap. Axle dump exhaust. Husky floor mats. Moto metal mo970's. Shrockworks. Sundown sa-8. 9.5xrc. Kings
    I'm trying to decide what I want to do with my life. I recently got a new job around 5 months ago. Making good money, 17 hr and average 65 hours a week. Monday-saturday.

Mechanic
    Job before I was there around 4 months and got tired of it. Making 14 hr with 40 hrs, over time was possible but 10 at most due to me being new and inexperienced.

Machine operator
    New job is out of state, I'm making enough to get my own place 10 mins from the job. But it's almost 2 hrs from my friends and family and girlfriend, so no one comes up here to hang out. I go home after work on Saturday, usually get to my real home around 4-5. Leaves me about 14hrs to see my girlfriend, friends, and parents. But Im making more money than I know what to do with.

Old job wasn't so bad, had to buy my own tools but before I left I got started pretty good. Started at 8 and home around 5:30. Have the weekends and making enough money to get by.

So, being 20 years old what would you all do?

Frogger and ChadsPride like this.
  2. Jun 19, 2018 at 8:31 AM
    ChadsPride

ChadsPride Tacoma Owner & Enthusiast

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Sponsored by TacomaWorld.com
  3. Jun 19, 2018 at 8:35 AM
    Tacoaric

Tacoaric Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    King Ranch F250 Powerstroke
    I’m 24 and 2 years out of college- (that physically hurt to type)

Chase the money. No offense, 17/hr isn’t a lot, especially since you had to move away from your life to get it. Go to school, trade school, college. Do it now while you don’t have kids or anything. Will pave a much smoother path for your future. I would probably take the pay cut to move home and go to school if that’s an option.

4. Jun 19, 2018 at 8:37 AM
    2ski4life7

2ski4life7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle WA
    Vehicle:
    17 DCLB 4x4 TRD Off Road Previously '12 DCLB 4x4 SR5
    Of your 65 hours is any of it overtime pay?

Are you ever thinking of going to school, even a trade school like mechanics school or welding etc? What does this new job provide in terms of experience, career growth, etc? At your age I would work on a skill that will provide better pay but good hours. $17 isn't bad but with some work and dedication you can bring that up a lot.

Working 65 hours a week and traveling back to your old place will take its toll. Are you renting in the new place? How much money is taken away by traveling back and forth and renting this new place?

From 23-27 yrs old I worked in a start up ranging from 60-80 hrs a week in hopes I would make it big. That never realized. Although I have gained a ton of experience and currently make very good money, those years took a big toll on my social life.

Whatever you decide my advice would be at least to save most of the extra money and not spend it. Put it in a Roth or contribute to the companies 401k if available. Your 30's and subsequent years old person will appreciate you for that.

ChadsPride likes this.
  5. Jun 19, 2018 at 8:37 AM
    velillen

velillen Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab 4x4
    Life hands down. Not even a close call in my opinion.

Money is great but all it does is buy you stuff. I would trade "stuff" for hanging out with friends and having a life and time to actually go do stuff that I enjoy. If I were you...I'd go back to the old job for now and enjoy things. Once you get experience you should get more pay or you keep looking for a job closer.

Ive done the work a shit ton deal. Sure its great and buys you stuff. But its also cost me relationships and caused friendships to fade away. let alone all the missed stuff. O its a friends kids birthday...sorry I'm on a 12 that day and wont make it.

And honestly....I had as much fun...if not more when I was making $8-15 bucks an hour. All my higher wage now means is I'm buying shit instead of just enjoying what I have/had.

inwood customs and Bullnettles like this.
  6. Jun 19, 2018 at 8:38 AM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    I commuted on “weekends” further than that for 10 years. I’m gonna say go for it. Get out and smell the roses! Disclaimer: I take no responsibility for you not enjoying yourself

tcjacado and ChadsPride like this.
  7. Jun 19, 2018 at 8:39 AM
    AeroCooper

AeroCooper Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2018 Barcelona Access Cab Off Road
    Remote start, tailgate inserts, nifty key fob case, Husky X-Act floor liners, AVS vent shades, bed mat, MX4 Tonneau cover, Tyger step rails
    I used to work as a mechanic. It's good work when you're young, but I looked around at the guys in their 60s who were still doing it and miserable as fuck getting all cut up and covered with grease day after day. I put myself through college nights and now work in IT. I'm making more than I used to by a fair amount and the working environment is MUCH better.

I guess what I'm saying is maybe stick with the local job and see about preparing for a better job that has everything you want.

8. Jun 19, 2018 at 8:41 AM
    tcjacado

tcjacado Well-Known Member

Member:
    You are 20..... if it is important to them they will make the time and same goes for you. No matter what the circumstances. Make the money and save it, you are away from your comfort zone and that's a good thing sometimes. Explore and see what's out there beyond. Just don't live above your means and save everything you can.

9. Jun 19, 2018 at 8:47 AM
    GreeGunc

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    North GA
    Vehicle:
    2lo mod. PIAA 510s. Green Floor Lights. Green dash swap. Axle dump exhaust. Husky floor mats. Moto metal mo970's. Shrockworks. Sundown sa-8. 9.5xrc. Kings
    I though about going to college, sister did 4 years and is making 15 hr. My foreman is getting me a raise next month or 2 to around 20hr. After 40 hrs is ot.

I get $200 week for out of town, rent is around $810

All my friends call me and ask what I'm doing, either to busy to see them or working.

This company is huge, I've had the chance to run stuff my dad of 30+ years hasn't got to run. But I just a number, no one knows what the bosses name is.

This company is from Colorado, I'm in south Carolina. Trips will get longer after this job is done, maybe in 2021

The last thing is, my dad got me the job. Couple of the guys hes worked with before are here to and he loves that I'm doing good. Hes glad I've stayed here this long.

This year I've had 5 jobs, this one is 6.

10. Jun 19, 2018 at 8:54 AM
    Jackstraw13

Jackstraw13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma Doublecab 4X4 TRD
    Be happy and live a simple life

11. Jun 19, 2018 at 8:54 AM
    GreeGunc

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    North GA
    Vehicle:
    Only other interest I have is woodworking and shop right behind my house called me right before I started here. Turned it down.

That's my dads way of looking at it to, my friends always talking about there weekend kills me knowing I'm working my ass off

tcjacado[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Jun 19, 2018 at 8:54 AM
    HighCountryTacoma

HighCountryTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD Off Road Quicksand
    I’d say always choose life over money. That being said, if you have to be miserable for a couple years in order to stack cash that will help you be less stressed more financially stable down the road that may provide delayed happiness. I’m in my mid 30’s now, looking back I had some really fun times and great life experiences in my 20’s that I would never exchange for anything. I do however wish I would have started saving sooner and more aggressively.

inwood customs likes this.
  13. Jun 19, 2018 at 8:56 AM
    GreeGunc

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    North GA
    Vehicle:
    I've started saving, was going to get a car to keep my truck out of the mud and dust. But it's a truck and might as well enjoy it, pretty happy with everything I've done to it so itll probably stay the way it is till I have a house and kids running around

14. Jun 19, 2018 at 8:56 AM
    2ski4life7

2ski4life7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle WA
    Vehicle:
    17 DCLB 4x4 TRD Off Road Previously '12 DCLB 4x4 SR5
    I don't necessarily mean 4 years of college. There are plenty of trade schools with 2 years or less, even night school. It really depends what you like to do. You could do autocad and make $20 hr right from the start. Is your work currently hard labor?

It sounds like your gaining skills and are making decent money but that is more likely because you are willing to sacrifice your social life to do so. It isn't wrong to do that. What worries me is you say when this project is done. Is the work cyclical? Open to job loss during market downturns? If that is the case I would really save as much as you can while you have the opportunity to do so.

15. Jun 19, 2018 at 9:05 AM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    Look at it as 'doing time' like military or anything else.

Life isn't always peachy. Sometimes you have to work hard.

You can make new friends. Don't abandon the old ones, but make new ones.

The GF is a different issue. But again, people figure it out all the time. If this job turns into something that has you working in different locations (project work of some kind?) it will give you a great chance to see other places. And doing that while young isn't all bad. Maybe at that point you'll be ready to marry the GF and take her with you. Or you won't, and you'll eventually find a new GF.

Totally get it about your dad having hope. 6 jobs in one year, living at home and hanging out with friends is more like being 16 than 20. It's time to step out on your own, and it sounds like you've got your start in something that will get you there.

Don't get me wrong. Friends and life are important. But so is being able to have a life that you support yourself. And money isn't all about 'stuff'. It's also about the freedom to experience travel, other cultures and help other people. As well as building your own future.

Good luck.

16. Jun 19, 2018 at 9:12 AM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    Regardless of everything else

6 jobs in the last year...need to build some stability on the resume

Set a goal to maintain this job for 12 months...if it sucks after 12 then maybe start looking but future employers don't want to hire someone who has a tendency to bail 2 months into the job

17. Jun 19, 2018 at 9:13 AM
    solgardener

solgardener Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Vehicle:
    '14 Tacoma DCLB SR5
    Make money, save, make friends near work. Save now so you can do more later. Life is long, jobs aren't. 65 hour work weeks with a wife and kids is different that 65 work weeks when youre a young'un. Invest in 401K and/or stocks through etrade. Long term investments to realize later in life.

18. Jun 19, 2018 at 9:33 AM
    GreeGunc

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    North GA
    Vehicle:
    This is construction, once the job is done and where we go is all dependent upon how they bid the next one and what they bid on.

Never though about it like that, thank you

I've tried that many times, always had decent reasons to quit. 1st was pay, 2nd was hours, 3rd was didnt fer along with my dad(boss), 4 was just doing till I had something else, and 5 mechanic I got real mad real easy while working on stuff.

True but when I'm 60 or so my friends I've know since 2nd grade or so will most likely be gone.

I am the only one out of my friends living out from my parents, they all cant belive I have my own place and am out of state

19. Jun 19, 2018 at 9:37 AM
    huck123

huck123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    Butte, MT
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD OR Access Cab
    3" 33s, UCAs, Hurst Short Throw, JL 12 500 Watts
    I'm 19 finished my first year of college back in May, am i wrong to chase the money? Because how am i gonna get my king suspension without some cash?

20. Jun 19, 2018 at 9:38 AM
    BuddyS

BuddyS Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport 4x4 MT
    Pick the WORK that you like or love and work hard at it. Get noticed by your boss. Take opportunities to learn new skills and grow. Show up every day and have a good attitude. Put 10% of every paycheck into retirement savings. Don't buy things you can't afford and don't buy stuff to impress other people. Success will follow.

When you have enough skill and good reputation, consider starting your own business.

As for the friends and GF... your friends are going to be busy with their lives too, and one by one your buddies are going find women, get married off, and fade away. Some friendships will endure, of course, but work and family are going to be bigger parts of your life. See what happens with the current GF but don't be surprised if you find you don't want the same things of have time for each other. That's fine, and it's normal -- to be expected, even. There will be other women -- don't cling to one too tight if deep down you know you're not headed in the same directions.

You can't always leave, but you can always go home. Right now you're young and the world is open to you. Go make something of yourself. No one else is going to do that for you.

To Top