1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Montana's '22 TRD OR [SOLD]

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Builds (2016-2023)' started by Montana_Actual, Nov 23, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan 2, 2022 at 6:19 PM
    Amorak

Amorak Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Magnetic Gray Metallic Tacoma TRD OR DCSB Premium
    They are 16" and (I think 7" wide?). My next tires will likely be 265/75R16. Falkens at this point.

So was I ....until I saw that one (nice rugged look - to me it seems very well built, mounts very sturdily)... my last 4 vehicles - two have hit deer - common denominator? 2 that did, didn't have deer guard. Yep, hit a deer, not terribly bad, in Oct w/ the new Tacoma ( I had no bought the guard yet) - jumped right out of bushes on a small dirt road. Just enough to put it's dented a** print near headlight plastic :mad: So they have to work, right? o_O No, the guard does not mess w/ sensor (some reviews I read prior said the same) but I do have two washers to angle sensor, prior. But the TSS does give that no collision warning thing if I park in higher grass out hunting, then restart up. Weird. Restart again and it goes away. Thi ONLY started after I took my truck in for 5000 mile checkup... odd.

Yeppers, covid compromises! :mad:
    Leer shell was ordered in early June. Arrived at dealer in mid Nov. If I wanted side windows that flipped up was going to be "another 8 weeks" on top of that. :eek: I'm a falconer - gotta have a shell. Cramming two crapping birds in folded down back seat was less than ideal... not to mention bird sh*t smell in new vehicle... damn shell couldn't get here fast enough!

No impact here... not sure I want to tackle it. but high five that you beat that gauntlet. :bowdown:

2. Jan 5, 2022 at 10:15 AM
    mjam

mjam Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Those white lights look great. That would be to bright for me, I think I am getting the red ones. Does your phone mount hook into the vent?

3. Jan 10, 2022 at 11:22 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ I drink, and I know things… Moderator

Member:
    Looks like Alaska
    Vehicle:
    POS Jeep
    Nice build and thanks for the tip on the pedal commander for the Crosstrek.

What C4 bumper? Winch?

You will be very happy with the gears. If you have never done the gear swap on prior builds, you will wonder what the hell you were thinking back then.

I don’t miss working outside on vehicles in MT. That makes my joints ache just talking about it.

straightawaykid likes this.
  4. Jan 10, 2022 at 11:43 PM
    Montana_Actual

Montana_Actual [OP] ;)

Member:
    My pedal commander is up for sale, here: Crosstrek Pedal Commander You can also see my previous CT here: Montana Actuals CT (a part of me still misses it - for the $ savings mostly)

The C4's I plan on going with are the C4 Overland w/ full bull & headlight loops but not sure about the rear just yet. I don't really need a rear bumper. I'm not - or at least never have been yet - a crawler.

The only gears I've ever done was replacing an entire axle on an old POS blazer and I only got different gearing because it was so damn cheap, lol. I can't wait to experience the difference on something like this. Nervous, but ready. We'll see if they offer a decent rate to change the gear oil and check everything else out or if it's cheaper to do myself. They might want to see it themselves and I'm okay with getting that second opinion on everything for this. Then on to the tune! KDMAX Pro! Pretty excited for that one too.

Good news though, the audio stuff is in! Well, most of it. Wiring was MIA... waiting on their kit to show up then the sound dampening starts.

5. Jan 11, 2022 at 12:04 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ I drink, and I know things… Moderator

Member:
    Looks like Alaska
    Vehicle:
    POS Jeep
    Holy shit. There’s Crosstrek forums. :rofl:Guess I shouldn’t be surprised. I’m sure there are forums for underwater basket weaving.

I like the Overland bumper and get why you plan on going that route. The deer up there can really ruin one’s day. I smacked two up by Red lodge back in the day. My brother runs Ranch Hands on his HD trucks for that purpose (they would look stupid on a taco).

You will be very happy with the re-gear. It will be your go-to in the future. Are you attempting to do the gearsets yourself? Totally doable…fyi. :thumbsup:

Montana_Actual[OP] likes this.
  6. Jan 12, 2022 at 8:28 PM
    MetalAloha

MetalAloha Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Ladera Ranch
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR DCLB cement
  7. Jan 14, 2022 at 4:23 PM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    It's lookin good!

8. Jan 14, 2022 at 4:28 PM
    Montana_Actual

Montana_Actual [OP] ;)

Member:
    Thanks man! You got some backup lights in stock for me? Would like to mount under the rear bumper and would be great to have them before the 25th, since I know you are close and hooked me up with the other DD's before. Red backlight with a white flood?

9. Jan 14, 2022 at 4:41 PM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    I actually should be getting a stocking order this next week. I'll have them on hand the 19th if UPS holds up their end of the bargain!

10. Jan 14, 2022 at 7:27 PM
    LiquidArrogance

LiquidArrogance Well-Known Member

Member:
    Streets of Bakersfield
    Vehicle:
    2021 SSM Sport 4x4

What size is the tire and how much work was it to get the spare up there? Hoping to do the same.

11. Jan 14, 2022 at 7:42 PM
    Montana_Actual

Montana_Actual [OP] ;)

Member:
    285/70R17. No work at all to get it up there. Fits great. I did air down to 15 psi because I have a compressor, but that was after I failed to put it up correctly the first time. I got help the second time and held it in place. I don't think the airing down was necessary. Eventually I'll get under and hammer down the stock tire guides to give it just that much more clearance, then try it again at full psi. But don't try to put it in the right spot alone. Have someone crank down on the lift tool while you hold it in place. I also have a full size rim under there, so that makes a slight difference too.

12. Jan 14, 2022 at 7:45 PM
    LiquidArrogance

Member:
    Streets of Bakersfield
    Vehicle:
    2021 SSM Sport 4x4
    Right on. Glad to hear it isn't too much trouble.

13. Jan 14, 2022 at 8:57 PM
    FamousTaco

FamousTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4
    Looking nice :thumbsup:

14. Jan 18, 2022 at 1:58 AM
    Panchito V

Panchito V El Diablo

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '22 BR TRD Sport 4x4 M/T
    TRD Lift; TRD Pro 16" Wheels w/KO2s; Blacked Out
    What a beautiful ride!

Just curious... is it A/T or M/T?

15. Jan 22, 2022 at 6:09 AM
    Montana_Actual

Montana_Actual [OP] ;)

Member:
    Ordered some MESO customs total tail V1's. The V2's are always our of stock and I dont think we're worth the extra cost. I hated the stock tail lights. From the chrome inside (which doesn't bother me on the headlights) to the pattern of the lighting. Just a terrible design for this truck and didnt look right at all. The difference is this:

I also swapped the ditch lights from yellow to white. Much better. Now I'm contemplating doing the same for

Waiting on the tufskinz insert to ship so I can install my TRD skid plate but it looks like it might be a while, so I'm gonna put it up there and just take it back down when it gets here, lol. I'm so impatient when it comes to this stuff. Patient with everything else, not with truck mods. I got a matte black reflective (oxymoron) because the red would just look weird with the green struts from Ironman. I love the Ironman setup, but maybe in the future they can give customers an option to chose if they want the green or not. Already installed, not changing it and not rattle can covering it up. Whatever.

I also got a TacomaWorld.com sticker, to show support for this site. I enjoy it here and I enjoy all the help from moderators and people behind the scenes. So take my money and keep it running. ;) Up for debate on wether or not it'll actually make it to the truck, lol. Maybe a tool box instead.

Hopefully soon I can get some footwell lighting and some reverse lights either under the bumper or flush mounted. Kinda on the fence about the reverse lights, mostly because I hate wiring them. I'm sure I'll pull that trigger on an impulse buy one sleepless night.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
    Amorak and hyrule_trd like this.
  16. Jan 22, 2022 at 6:21 AM
    LiquidArrogance

Member:
    Streets of Bakersfield
    Vehicle:
    2021 SSM Sport 4x4

They used to offer powder coating on the coils but they quit doing it. I just tell myself it matches my baby Yoda sticker on the camper shell.

17. Jan 22, 2022 at 6:29 AM
    hyrule_trd

hyrule_trd It’s a Secret to Everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Harford County, MD
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black TRD OR
    Ironman Stage 1 Foam Cell Pro lift kit, 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx, SCS BR6 Wheels, SPC UCA, Heated seats, MESO TRD start button, Meso Total Tail v1, Meso V5 mirror white DRL turns, bed decal, ditch and hidden bumper lights, screen protech, RAV4 radio knobs, steering wheel anytime camera kit, dash cam, ECGS bushing, Timbren Active Off Road bump stops with Wheelers flip kit. 35% Xpel CS Ceramic Tint, KD Max Tune, SumoSprings front bump stops, RRW Sliders ‌ ‌ ▲ ▲‌ ▲
    If you watch eBay/here and FB marketplace, you might be able to find 16-18 tails or pro tails that don’t have the chrome. That’s what I did. I think I got a set for 100 shipped on eBay.

CB1F7643-1830-4A76-AFA7-1C50A33F6142.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  18. Jan 22, 2022 at 6:42 AM
    Montana_Actual

Montana_Actual [OP] ;)

Member:
    Check post 23 on page 2. Already swapped the tails ;) I didn't like the Pro's either. Too much red around the tail light so I found some off brand ones that look stock but have no excess red or chrome. It's weird cuz every vehicle I've owned before I've done debadging, dechroming and sticker removal. Maybe it's just the color of Tacoma I have now, but I think a little contrast looks good. Plus, discount tire gave me shiny lug nuts and the center cap on my rims has some shiny in there too... I just kinda ran with it, lol. Gotta be careful, after the extended flares, this can go south real quick! Lots of hate for those things. Another thing I gave up on due to Montana winters. I've outgrown "stance" and wheels poking out of the fenders. Save someone's windshield in the process.
    Oh, new RokBlokz XL mudflaps on the way too.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    hyrule_trd[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Jan 22, 2022 at 6:55 AM
    hyrule_trd

hyrule_trd It’s a Secret to Everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Harford County, MD
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black TRD OR
    Ironman Stage 1 Foam Cell Pro lift kit, 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx, SCS BR6 Wheels, SPC UCA, Heated seats, MESO TRD start button, Meso Total Tail v1, Meso V5 mirror white DRL turns, bed decal, ditch and hidden bumper lights, screen protech, RAV4 radio knobs, steering wheel anytime camera kit, dash cam, ECGS bushing, Timbren Active Off Road bump stops with Wheelers flip kit. 35% Xpel CS Ceramic Tint, KD Max Tune, SumoSprings front bump stops, RRW Sliders ‌ ‌ ▲ ▲‌ ▲
    Nice, I see that now and the other pics on page 1 & 2. Good call on the mudflaps!

20. Jan 22, 2022 at 3:18 PM
    Amorak

Amorak Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Magnetic Gray Metallic Tacoma TRD OR DCSB Premium
    I switched out for the same, more current "pro style" knock off from Unique Racing (I think that's the name?). Solid.
    I also switched out side mirror chromed signal lights for black/smoked sequential lights (much better look on MGM color). Install was not quick, but not too bad. Lost of vids out there. $40 on Amazon. Couple threads here where some chime in "amazon for the win" as they are like half of what most of the custom taco sites want.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top