1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Montana's '22 TRD OR [SOLD]

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Builds (2016-2023)' started by Montana_Actual, Nov 23, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan 22, 2022 at 3:40 PM
    Borracho Loco

Borracho Loco My truck identifies as a Prius.

Member:
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2021 Voodoo Blue - Tacoma TRD Offroad DCSB
    Oh look, another mod....

I did the same thing you did. I removed my stock tail lights because I couldn't stand all the chrome. I found some SR5/OEM tail lights really cheap, and the best part...no chrome at all. Then I bought a Stage 1 Total Tail light kit from Meso and plugged it in. It's very bright and worth every penny.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
  2. Jan 28, 2022 at 5:46 PM
    the.shelbysaurus

the.shelbysaurus Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cavalry Blue SR5 4x4 ACLB
    Ironman 4x4 Foam Cell Pro, SPC UCAs, 285/70/17 KO2s, 1.25" Spidertrax spacers
    If you haven’t already seen it elsewhere, rather than hammering the guides back, you can remount the hoist. You’d have to drill 2 new holes for it though, so up to you if that’s really a better solution or not. Good to know it’s possible to fit it without doing either though! I really need to get my full size spare up in there and out of my garage…

3. Jan 28, 2022 at 6:49 PM
    Montana_Actual

Montana_Actual [OP] ;)

Member:
    Awesome! I have a growing list of things to do. It's just too damn cold right now. I'll remember that when I drop it and take a look. Probably just easier to hammer a little since the tread depth is the only thing to really worry about. Most 285/70R17's are around 32.7" and my e rated ones are 32.99".

I've actually thought about wrapping it up in something durable too, then adding a little rubber grommet to where the chain goes. Only reason for that is because I have a full size rim on it too, and I don't want it getting destroyed down there. Original plan was to get a hitch mount but I do like it hidden. When I drop it as the weather warms up if the rim is covered in crap then I'll start looking for options. So far I think getting two durable cordura style covers and wrapping them around each other so the whole tire is covered seems to be the best option. Then I'd just cut a hole on one side, apply some silicon around a rubber grommet with teeth and that should keep the debris out.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2022
  4. Jan 28, 2022 at 9:17 PM
    the.shelbysaurus

Member:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    That’s a good idea! I would be interested to hear how it works out if/when you do it. I’ve been a little concerned about putting a nice shiny rim up in there too.

5. Jan 28, 2022 at 9:28 PM
    Montana_Actual

Montana_Actual [OP] ;)

Member:
    Yea, because my tires were totally different size I didn't see it being a good idea to keep the 16" steelie. I did contemplate getting a 17" steelie but since the original plan was exterior mounting, I impulse bought. Actually happy I did aside from the hit on my bank account. Winter tires will be simple though. Stock rims and stock steelie. So far from the research I have done, a decent 33" tire cover isn't that expensive - like $40 x2 for having to wrap both sides. I'm just more concerned with water being stuck in there than anything else. I'm overthinking it for sure, lol. My specialty.

6. Jan 28, 2022 at 10:13 PM
    the.shelbysaurus

Member:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    I feel ya, I’m an overthinker too. Sometimes I mention things I’m worried about to my partner and he gives me this look like o_O why would you need to be worried about that? :rofl: I actually think water-wise it’d be pretty ok if you do the double covers with the grommet. Since it’s under the bed, probably the only way for water to get in the top by the hoist hole would be if you’re gonna do water crossings. I imagine most anything else would be negligible and evaporate easily.

I also went from a 16” to 17” and thought about a steelie. I decided against it so I could put all 5 tires in rotation. I gotta actually remember to tell them to do that on my next rotation though lol :rolleyes:

7. Jan 31, 2022 at 7:37 PM
    Montana_Actual

Montana_Actual [OP] ;)

Member:
    Hey just an update, I found this:

Taco Phone Holder

not sure how I feel about the landscape mode, but I'm gonna give it a shot. No idea how it actually holds in there or charges... But I want to test it.

8. Jan 31, 2022 at 8:11 PM
    vivid02

vivid02 Buy a Tesla…..I need the gas.

Member:
    First Name:
    Edwin
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4 DCSB
    OEM+

That looks good and should work great on Android phones.
    My iphone sucks in landscape mode except for google maps and videos.

9. Jan 31, 2022 at 8:32 PM
    Montana_Actual

Montana_Actual [OP] ;)

Member:
    Yea, not a fan honestly, but I'd like to get rid of the magnet mount on the back of my case if possible.

10. Jan 31, 2022 at 9:01 PM
    vivid02

vivid02 Buy a Tesla…..I need the gas.

Member:
    First Name:
    Edwin
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4 DCSB
    OEM+
    I here you on that magnet .
    I cannot use wireless chargers on my desk at work or home office due to the magnet on the back now.

11. Feb 2, 2022 at 8:35 AM
    bigdonniebrasco

bigdonniebrasco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    that's and absolutely gorgeous truck !!!

Montana_Actual[OP] likes this.
  12. Feb 2, 2022 at 8:37 AM
    bigdonniebrasco

bigdonniebrasco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    That BLUE is killer!!!

13. Feb 5, 2022 at 4:02 PM
    Steamy Longbottom

Steamy Longbottom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    1LT Browneye
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    '21 Army Green TRD O/R 6MT
    Modifications are bad and only bad people modify.
    My experience with OEM audio+ was with the 86, and it is a quality upgrade that's one of the best overall options out IMO. I learned about the company a while ago from a nerdy Japanese fellow who "liked to thump" every now and then.

I do love the look/functionality of your lift. I only have 2000 miles on mine and am leaning towards the TRD lift because 32s(ish) on a 16" wheel would be sufficient for most of my needs off road here on my logging roads and trails in Appalachia (and probably for most situations when I come up your way to bag an Elk). The only reason I am leaning towards the TRD lift is the ease of it and getting a vanity grille that I like, and the recalibration/alignment my dealer offers with it.

So I guess what I'm asking is do you think it's worth spending whatever extra on sourcing a Pro lift plus the $500 for the grille over the available dealer-installed option?

PS I LOVE your truck man!

14. Feb 5, 2022 at 4:32 PM
    Montana_Actual

Montana_Actual [OP] ;)

Member:
    Personally, I would stick with the TRD setup. I probably could have gone the same route but I almost did go the pro route. For the extra cost of the pro, it is worth it and I feel most of us on the forums would agree. But if you don't need it, then save the extra money! Either way, smart route with both options. Everything covered by warranty then. The dealer where I got mine mentioned I should have gone that route, but I do have plans on tucking at least 34's in the future, so I went a little bigger.

The OEM audi + is sufficient. It's not going to bump some rap music though, lol. I may end up adding a 12" and an amp just for the fact I usually listen at lower volumes and it's hard to tell the sub is even there sometimes unless you get to 30+ on the head unit. I also have plans of upgrading the headhunt as well. I have nothing negative to say about the OEM audi + setup. I do think it's pricey, and for the price it should include at least a 10" woofer, but for most listeners, it's an upgrade and it's simplicity with clarity. That's good enough in my book.

Thanks for the kind words on the truck! I was on the fence about the fender flares and such but I feel like it's just a courtresy on the road. Too many times on these 1 lane highways I've been hit by rocks, and not even from traffic in front of me, but from oncoming traffic. So I do my part to save someone's windshield ;)

15. Feb 5, 2022 at 5:42 PM
    Steamy Longbottom

Member:
    First Name:
    1LT Browneye
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    Thank you for doing your part to reduce insurance claims, haha! I make a point to not tailgate ever and switch lanes when behind trucks in particular, but never thought of oncoming traffic being a rock issue, good to know but I guess on some back roads, you just have to take your chances. I think your flares look awesome BTW.

I wanted to go just one step up for now because I'm a beginner and don't want to make too big of a change with things I don't have experience with. I know from tracking cars that it's easier to make things worse than better, and I'm ignorant about trucks in general, but you give great insight here.

I have no doubt that the pro suspension is better. I think I'm looking at $3000-3500 for the pro suspension installed alone from what I can find, which is fine, but maybe I should go slow and learn some basics first. Based on what you mentioned, I don't see the harm in getting the basic TRD lift now, work within the limitations, and when it wears out address anything needed.

16. Feb 5, 2022 at 5:54 PM
    Montana_Actual

Montana_Actual [OP] ;)

Member:
    Smart move again. My experience with lifting has taught me that doing so, and adding bigger and heavier tires, takes it's toll on the tranny above all else. So I went with gears and a tune. Don't have them yet - waiting on the gears to get here before I tune, but that will help drastically. That said, the level you plan on staying at is smart because you won't notice anything and it doesn't hurt anything. The tranny will still function and shift normally - or, as normal as it can for a Tacoma - lol. I think the most common advice across the board and what I've learned in my short time on this forum is keep it simple. A tune will improve even a stock setup too. Something to think about and look into.

17. Feb 5, 2022 at 7:16 PM
    Steamy Longbottom

Member:
    First Name:
    1LT Browneye
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    Thanks! You going with a shorter axle ratio is definitely a smart move.

After looking at the KDMAX Pro, I'm absolutely going to get it. I noticed that many people scoff at getting better fuel economy and it's usually based on how long it will take to make up for the initial cost, but my concern is a practical one (or so I tell my wallet). I'm often in some remote areas, and if I could swing 5-10% more MPGs, that's a safety net that's immediately worth the cost of the mods because it's a huge logistical advantage. It's like another 20-40 miles of range. People have reported some pretty significant MPG increases with the tune, and many maintaining their mileage before the mods, which is a huge win when you're "in the field" for days doing whatever you're doing there (no judgment).

18. Feb 8, 2022 at 6:56 PM
    hyrule_trd

hyrule_trd It’s a Secret to Everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Harford County, MD
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black TRD OR
    Ironman Stage 1 Foam Cell Pro lift kit, 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx, SCS BR6 Wheels, SPC UCA, Heated seats, MESO TRD start button, Meso Total Tail v1, Meso V5 mirror white DRL turns, bed decal, ditch and hidden bumper lights, screen protech, RAV4 radio knobs, steering wheel anytime camera kit, dash cam, ECGS bushing, Timbren Active Off Road bump stops with Wheelers flip kit. 35% Xpel CS Ceramic Tint, KD Max Tune, SumoSprings front bump stops, RRW Sliders ‌ ‌ ▲ ▲‌ ▲
    Looks great!

19. Feb 8, 2022 at 7:06 PM
    Steamy Longbottom

Member:
    First Name:
    1LT Browneye
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    I think it looks awesome. Did you get a kit or did you put something together?

Edit, saw you got it from memario in the other thread!

20. Feb 8, 2022 at 8:20 PM
    caribe makaira

caribe makaira Well-Known Member

Member:
    Caribbean, Puerto Rico
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD Offroad AutoTrans
    Hood Struts, My version Fogs always ON, Map & Overhead Light Mod,
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in