1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Montana Tacomas

Discussion in 'North West' started by Mondwa, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Jan 30, 2022 at 12:38 PM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    Pretty sure all block heaters go to coolant. That's the most effective way to keep the block warm is to have the coolant warm.

Mine replaced a block plug is all.

2. Jan 30, 2022 at 12:54 PM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    The gen 2 block heater is not placed in the coolant line, like many others are. There's an open, dry port where it just plugs into the block - with a little fenagling (at least on the '12-'15 models), as there's a bracket in the way.

Blackdawg[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Feb 1, 2022 at 3:31 PM
    montanacruiser

montanacruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB Off Road
    Hi all. I am starting to plan a camping trip I do with my family every other year. We head out of Missoula for 8-9 days and camp out of the truck. Last trip we headed up to Caruthers lake in the flint creek range. Was a epic trip and was hopping to find another spot similar. With lakes or river in hiking range of the base camp. Good fishing is always a plus. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

4. Feb 2, 2022 at 6:42 AM
    Clemson55

Clemson55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Pro
    Bumpers Front and Rear, Bed Rack, RTT
    Shell Reservoir/Adelaide Lake in the bighorns in Wyoming.

5. Feb 2, 2022 at 10:08 AM
    montanacruiser

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB Off Road
    That looks like a sweet spot.

6. Feb 3, 2022 at 6:42 AM
    Clemson55

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Pro
    I camped there for a couple days last summer, it was awesome, fishing was great, it snowed above us even though it was July. There a lot of good roads and trails to choose from depending on the level of intensity you want, and I expect there is ample hiking in the area especially in the surrounding wilderness area.

7. Feb 3, 2022 at 8:39 AM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    Yeah hiking to shell lake is cool. And I've hiked all over there(old hunting area). Great spot for sure.

Boulder basin road is not hard but its not easy either, thats the only thing to know about that area. Should be by passes to real hard spots but few choke points if you don't have sliders at least.

8. Feb 3, 2022 at 1:34 PM
    montanacruiser

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB Off Road
    Was kind looking for a little less intense 4x4 than Caruthers. When you load up the family and gear for over a week camping trip the truck starts getting heavy. Not really wanting to drive 7 hours to get there also. Has anyone spent any time in the Pioneer Mountains? Looks like it has potential.

9. Feb 4, 2022 at 12:19 PM
    Dbarffish

Dbarffish Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2023 dcsb TRDOR white
    Stock
    I planned to get the Tacoma heater installed but since I’m in a garage not needed. BUT check out the tacomas catching on fire from the heater in Canada before you decide.

Banditman likes this.
  10. Feb 4, 2022 at 12:23 PM
    Dbarffish

Dbarffish Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2023 dcsb TRDOR white
    Stock
    I’ve experienced 50 below in Bozeman. Will it get that cold again? Not sure but you need to be ready for lower than 30 below just in case. Dealing with batteries and starters on old vehicles was a real pain back then. They used to last like 2 years. Much better inside a garage. AND more reliable vehicles/parts now.

11. Feb 4, 2022 at 2:01 PM
    Clemson55

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Pro
    My impression of the Pioneers is that there isn't much 4x4 access, only a few FS campgrounds, half of it is a wilderness study area. I do like driving through the area though, Elkhorn hot springs and Crystal Park are cool.

12. Feb 5, 2022 at 7:04 AM
    Shadetree

Shadetree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    BiLL
    Bozeman, Montana
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab 4x2
    Locking Tailgate & Gas Cap and extra bed D-rings
    Some quick battery tips for cold weather starting I learned over 10 years living in the Bavarian Alps (GAP) and the last 11 in Bozeman:

1. Use full synthetic oil because there is less internal engine resistance.
    2. Tether your battery off a temperature compensated battery charger using a fused quick disconnect to keep the battery fully charged.
    3. If you make a lot of short trips under five miles, use an AGM battery because they have a much higher absorption rate and typically higher CCA ratings.
    4. Keep the terminal connections clean to reduce electrical resistance.
    5. Insure that flooded battery cells filled to the correct levels using distilled water.
    6. Follow the vehicle's owner's manual jump starting instructions, especially newer vehicles, to prevent destroying one of more computers.
    7. If you do not have a conductance tester, go to an auto parts or battery store and have the battery's State of Heath tested before subzero temps. Most stores will test it for free.

henryp likes this.
  13. Feb 5, 2022 at 8:14 PM
    mizzac

mizzac Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mac
    Montana/CO
    Vehicle:
    Yota-less
    Stickers
    Hey all, anyone here had a chance to look at the new tundras?

Long story short, the GF wants a new rig. a 3rd row suv was the plan, but were thinking a new tundra (20k less than a surburban) will do and gives me a new toy to play with. Wanted to wait for the Pro, or even the pro sequia but we have a potential offer on her jeep that we may jump on.

14. Feb 28, 2022 at 5:15 PM
    RoaminRoman

RoaminRoman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Roman
    Vehicle:
    2000 4Runner
    Midtravel Camping Fun Haver
    Hey good folks of Montana, has anyone bought tires recently? I'm hoping to get a set of Toyo AT3s or Falken Wildpeak AT3s in a 285/75/16. Everyone I've asked recommends Discount Tire, which is a little inconvenient as I'm in Bozeman and the closest one is in Helena, but if the savings and perks are there I'm not opposed. Thanks all!

tacodemontana likes this.
  15. Feb 28, 2022 at 5:18 PM
    tacodemontana

tacodemontana Well-Known Knuckle Dragger

Member:
    Vehicle:
    MGM 2019 Tacoma Mystery Trim
    A little bit of this, and a little bit of that.
    I’ve had good experience at tire-Rama, the one that’s over next to the taco bell on huffine. That’s my best experience with tires in this area.

RoaminRoman[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Feb 28, 2022 at 6:05 PM
    MTgirl

MTgirl too many frogs, not enough princes... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Then: 12 T4R SR5 Now: 99 - 3.4L SR5 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    I've been a long time customer of Big O on 7th. They've always been super nice to me. But they are horribly understaffed and really busy. Sometimes a PITA to get in the door.

17. Feb 28, 2022 at 6:06 PM
    tacodemontana

tacodemontana Well-Known Knuckle Dragger

Member:
    Vehicle:
    MGM 2019 Tacoma Mystery Trim
    A little bit of this, and a little bit of that.
    Big O is great also, but they’re definitely understaffed right now, hence why I ended up at tirerama for my last set of tires

RoaminRoman likes this.
  18. Feb 28, 2022 at 6:13 PM
    MTgirl

MTgirl too many frogs, not enough princes... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Then: 12 T4R SR5 Now: 99 - 3.4L SR5 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    I've been going there for probably 10 years now. Usually spend my time BSing with the guys while i wait, helps pass the time. they all camp and wheel same as us. Or helping out while they're busy :rolleyes: was there one time and both guys were on the phone. girl comes in and asks if someone can check the air pressure in her tires and tell her if she needed an oil change. i grabbed the tire pressure gauge off the counter and some paper towels out of the restroom and took her out side to show her how its done. come back in and they were both done with their calls both asked "well? what's the verdict?"

Daria, OneGiraffe, ryfox0276 and 4 others like this.
  19. Mar 1, 2022 at 12:34 PM
    montanacruiser

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB Off Road
    I have had the wildpeaks and now have the toyos. I liked the wildpeaks a lot more in snow the toyos suck. I actually ended up buying dedicated studded snow tire for the first time ever because they sucked so bad. If you switch out snow tires then it probably doesn't mater and I would just go for what ever is cheaper.

20. Mar 1, 2022 at 12:36 PM
    montanacruiser

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB Off Road
    Also I would buy from a local shop. The savings usually are not worth the inconvenience of not being able to get them rotated or fix flats and what not.

To Top