1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Moobs (and getting rid of them)

Discussion in 'Health' started by 2TRunner, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Jul 18, 2012 at 12:18 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon Musk Moderator

Member:
    Just beware of where The calories are derived from.
    All sugar?
    Protein? Carbs? Fats? Obviously a small combo of all 3 or just protein would be better than having them derived from sugar.

2. Jul 18, 2012 at 7:24 PM
    2TRunner

2TRunner [OP] Snoop Dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    My House Usually
    Rach and I have always kind of had a trade off relationship. She's a bit of a slob, I'm a neat freak. I'm free-spirited, she's more of a planner. I'm gonna push her to jump rope and she's gonna watch the calories for me. I can handle most of the day, but she's going to really help with dinner.

She lost a bunch of weight before she got pregnant with our latest and she did it with just the kinds eating habits she had. Took her awhile b/c she didn't get a lot of physical activity, but she lost the weight nonetheless.

I'm not going to get super crazy, if I want a burger for dinner, I'll still have one. Just have baked potato instead of cheese sticks. Or if we have pasta, have 1 piece of garlic bread, instead of 4. 1 piece of GB has like 170 cals in it, thats almost 700 cals for 4. I was losing weight with changing most but the dinner stuff, so even just a reduction in the high calorie stuff I was eating I should see improvement.

Going to go with more chicken, pulled pork (bbq pork sammich, yum), I like shrimp so I'll try to arrange that into some kind of dinner thing.

My "extras" or side dishes or whatever at dinner are really killing me. Even if I still had 1 piece of GB, thats almost a 500 calorie intake reduction from what I was doing.

I'm not to worried about through the day. I've cut the fast food stuff. I looked it up and at the worst times it was over 1200 calories between breakfast and lunch. That stuff is totally gone. Apples, bananas, oat bars, pretzels, lunch meat sammichs on lower calorie bread, a handful or 2 or corn/rice chex cereal. All more than plenty to get me through the day.

Plus I got the exercise thing going on a bit. 20 min of jump rope burns around maybe 250 cals for me. Doing that several times a day.

I found a cool site calculator kind of thing. Enter some physical info about yourself and gives a round about number of the amount of calories a person should be intaking a day. http://www.howmanycaloriesinapound.com/body-fat-calculator/

3. Aug 14, 2012 at 2:01 PM
    Fishinthe252

Fishinthe252 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Currituck, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Base
    Here is my experience;

A couple of years ago, I balloned upto over 250#s & I'm 6' even. I say over because I don't really know how heavy I got. I wasn't active at all & ate everything put on my plate & then some. I made up my mind one day that I was going to loose some weight. I set a goal of getting below 200#s. I made 2 changes: I started eating less & started being more active. I would eat a half of a sandwich instead of a whole, 1 plate for dinner instead of 2, 1 cookie for dessert instead of 6, etc. At the time, I had a project truck that I worked on that helped me stayed active. It took me a year to do it but I met my goal. Small changes lead to big changes. Set a goal so you have something to shoot for.
    Good luck.

4. Aug 17, 2012 at 3:20 AM
    2TRunner

2TRunner [OP] Snoop Dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    My House Usually
    168 this AM.

Was 186 when wife and I started keeping track

Was 208 at some point much earlier in the year when I went to have knee issues looked at. Was never thinking about losing weight when this weight was taken.

Jello gut still there a bit, becoming less.

5. Aug 17, 2012 at 3:28 AM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    WOOOOOOWWWWW!:eek::eek::eek::eek: and i drink any were from 3 to 7 mtn dews a day. 24 pack last about a week if that.

6. Aug 17, 2012 at 10:59 AM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Awesome!

Now crunches and bicycles man! Work up that core muscle tone and it'll suck it in naturally. The "flab" and moobs will reduce as your body fat percentage drops and redistributes.

7. Aug 17, 2012 at 11:30 AM
    Haslefre

Haslefre Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    TN
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra
    Some flags and center console divider... lots of things on the wanted list.
    I'm going to stop you on the crunches part. Crunches can actually be bad on the back. The strongest ways to strengthen your core is planks and believe it or not pushups (if done correctly).
    http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/abdominalcorestrength1/a/NewCore.htm

The air force now makes it part of our PT test to do situps, and I see more and more people every year going in for surgery on their backs because of it.

8. Aug 17, 2012 at 11:55 AM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Crunches /= traditional situps ;)

There's no need to bring the elbows to the knees, and this effort is what tends to get people using their neck and arms to "throw" their weight forward, coupled with the natural desire to do as many as possible in the shortest time.

Proper, beneficial crunches are like high weight, low-rep lifting.

But bicycles? They'll kick your ass and no risk to the back.

9. Aug 17, 2012 at 11:58 AM
    rondog

rondog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ronnie
    Escondido/San Diego
    That looks like a lot more than 70 teaspoons

10. Aug 17, 2012 at 12:03 PM
    Fiend13

Fiend13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Waddell/Phoenix area
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD O/R DC Prerunner
    Hanging leg lifts are good for abs as well since you have to keep your core tight the whole time to prevent swinging when lifting your legs up

11. Aug 17, 2012 at 12:06 PM
    Nightstr

Nightstr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Felipe
    Sacramento CA
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner sr5
    BLHM BLWM 3" TOUGH COUNTRY LIFT TRD SEAT COVERS THULE RACK M/T KM2 265/65/16
    Eat a lot of protein and less carbs, Eat every 2 hours but make sure you control your portions, Drink a whole lot of watter through out the day, cut down on prossesed foods, and excersize at least for 30 min every day. Go on you tube and get some ideas for circuit training or crossfit. Combining all of thiswith a few other things that have already been mentioned will help you keep burning fan even when you are sleeping.

12. Aug 17, 2012 at 12:07 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    1 tsp is 1/48 cup, so 70 tsp would be approximately 1.5 cups or 12 oz.

Ya... a carafe is typically about a quart, so that's almost 187 teaspoons.

Someone at a health fair embellishing? Say it isn't true!

13. Aug 17, 2012 at 12:09 PM
    Nightstr

Nightstr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Felipe
    Sacramento CA
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner sr5
    BLHM BLWM 3" TOUGH COUNTRY LIFT TRD SEAT COVERS THULE RACK M/T KM2 265/65/16
    I got my brother in law to drop from 260lb to about 209 in 3 months and he's still going. I'm having him do it the right way which is a life stile change in my opinion.

14. Aug 17, 2012 at 12:12 PM
    gooch14

gooch14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2011 Blk DC Taco SR5 4x LB
    Bestop, Child Seats, petrified french fry, dog hair, empty Mtn Dew cans cracked windshield, scratches.
    We're doing a weight loss challenge at work, mostly for fun but winner gets like $180. I've started running 1.5-3 miles a day on either a treadmill or outside on the road. Spend the money get yourself some decent shoes if you want to do this. I never bought real running shoes until this go and it made a huge difference. I also downloaded a calorie counting app that has cals for nearly all foods and popular restraunts. Counting cals alone will make you more aware of what you're putting in your mouth. You need to lift some weights to mix with the cardio, run at first, then lift afterwards and you'll start looking great in a few weeks. I'm 2 weeks in and 7-8lbs down and already losing my tits and love handles.

Good Luck to you.

15. Aug 18, 2012 at 3:19 AM
    2TRunner

2TRunner [OP] Snoop Dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    My House Usually
    Things have gone quite well. Been very hectic so I haven't got as much J.R in as usual, but weight still dropping.

The past 3 weeks have been interesting. Week 1: Lost 0.2Lbs. Wk2: Lost 1.1Lbs Wk3: Lost 7.5 Lbs.

7.5 is a fuck ton in a week. I weighed on Wed @ 168.2 and was the exact same at "offical" weigh-in on Friday. Don't think I lost a bunch of water weight or anything and I ate pizza thursday night.

(Yes, I am still allowing myself pizza as my one food item to indulge in. Pizza is in the blood, just love a good pizza once every couple weeks)

And I ate plenty during the week of losing 7.5Lbs.

It really is so much about caloric intake than anything else I'm finding out. You start to look at things you liked and how many calories are in it and just put it down and find a lower calorie option. I've been eating a lot of baked potatoes with dinner, not the 3 pieces of garlic-bread or the cheesesticks.

I know everyone has their "schedule" but I'm honestly not on anything like that.

My typical day:
    I eat a fiber one granola bar for breakfast (90cals for a small bar, 140 for a bigger bar, very filling as well.) and then a cup of cereal (usually between 100-130 depedning on cereal, cheerios, rice/corn chex usually) (the fiber one stuff has been helping with solid bathroom time..just in case you wanted to know..)

For lunch I'll either go home and have 1 slice of low cal bread with lunch meat and an apple. or I'll take a mix of pretzels (90-100 cals in 15-17 pretzels) and cereal.

Dinner (and usually after 7, nothing I can do if I don't get off until 7) I'll have what Rach makes. I'm honestly not killing myself and eating things I don't want to. I still eat a burger....with much leaner beef (160 cals) and low cal buns (70/per). We've really been into the pulled pork (sammichs) lately and it's low calories. I had shrimp and a baked potato last night.

I've also been having a dessert. Fiber One makes some really good low cal brownies, 90/per.

Zero fast food. Zero high calorie dinner side dishes (those are real easy apparently) and finding lower calorie options of things you do like are the 3 things that have really worked out the best for me.

16. Aug 18, 2012 at 12:51 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    There are a lot of theories... not all scientifically backed... that "cheat days" can spike your metabolism.
    One problem with "dieting" (as opposed to working your body into a properly balanced diet) is that by undershooting your caloric requirements, the body puts the brakes on processes that would normally convert fat, and even glycogen, to energy, and begins to "hoard" energy stores in the form of fat, while reducing available energy.
    Some refer to this as the "starvation reflex"

A "cheat meal" or a "cheat day" (such as your pizza) serve to inform the body that it is not starving, and that it may convert it's fat stores to energy.

I've seen and experienced a lot of anecdotal evidence supporting this, but that doesn't mean it is backed by science.

That's why it is important to understand your body's base metabolic rate, as well as it's caloric needs for routine activities. You want your caloric intake to be slightly below this level. Too low and energy suffers, too high and you gain weight.

17. Aug 18, 2012 at 1:06 PM
    desert guy

desert guy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan Blagg
    o.c.
    Vehicle:
    toyota offroad truck
    FiberWerx Tacoma front fiberglass clip, currie rear 9 inch, 35 Spline axles, sick nicks fab steering, Beard Seats, King Coilovers, Bypass, & Hydraulic Bumpstops, DEAVER Springs
    Im not over weight,
    but I quit drinking soda and I lost 9 pounds in 2 months!! I was blown away how much weight I lost just with that one thing

18. Aug 18, 2012 at 4:00 PM
    Tayysere

Tayysere Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Taylorsville, Utah
    Vehicle:
    06 ImpulseRed DCSB
    This picture alone has led to me cutting 17 lbs in about 5 weeks. Eating right and counting calories using the smartphone app lose it. Occasional gym. Honestly I just feel better and I have about 40 more lbs to go

[​IMG]

19. Aug 18, 2012 at 5:29 PM
    2TRunner

2TRunner [OP] Snoop Dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    My House Usually
    Anyone hungry?

20. Sep 30, 2012 at 6:39 PM
    mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 First I derp.. then I herp

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    93 Pick up 4x4 (sold), 10' Mazda 3
    How is this going Chris? I just started p90x the other day to help get rid of my gut and tone up. It is kickin my ass good. I have found motivation is CRUCIAL. I pretty much have to make myself do this program.

Keep it up! You will get there!

Products Discussed in

To Top