1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

more 5100 questions

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 928puddles, May 29, 2011.

1. May 29, 2011 at 6:39 PM
    928puddles

928puddles [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    03 tacoma
    new here but i like what i've read. anyways i have a 03 that i want to change the shocks on. i'm thinking that the 5100's are the way to go. couple things. i'm not interested in leveling my truck. that being said the 5100's seem to be designed for lifted applications (leveling mostly). has anyone used the 5100's with stock height? how does it change the ride? stock is comfortable, but no bottoming resistance and has a lot of body roll. i've also noticed that the 5100's do allow you to adjust the ride height. i know i don't want to level my truck, but i noticed that the 5100's allow for a .85 lift. less than an inch. do the 5100's ride better in this position than stock? does anyone have any pictures of their truck with the shocks in the .85 position? i'm also blown away by how small in diameter the stock shocks are. are the 5100's larger in diameter than the stock yellow ones? i plan on replacing all 4 shocks at once. i see that the front shocks don't come with replacement bushings for the lower mount. this seems ridiculous. i see no reason to use the original bushings, do you guys use urethane bushings or stock replacements? i've also read on here that downsouthmotorsports is the cheapest place to buy these. i assume that these guys sell bushings for the fronts as well?

2. May 29, 2011 at 7:07 PM
    mlittle

mlittle T O Y O T A

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Fort Sill, OK
    Vehicle:
    2014 Toyota Tundra Crew Max 4x4
    Welcome to TW (noticed this was your first post). I just installed 5100s all around, but I added Eibach coils for additional lift. As far as I know, first gen Tacomas should have 5100s set a 0 (bottom setting). I am not quite sure on the configuration for stock height. Maybe running the 5100s at the lowest setting and stock coils. The front shocks come with the lower bushings. They do not come with the stem cushion. I also own a 2003, so I decided to replace my cushions and washers. Feel free to check out Downsouth, Toytec, and Wheelers. They're all good vendors.

3. May 30, 2011 at 12:05 AM
    TacoBlitz

TacoBlitz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    01 DoubleCab SR5 TRD, white
    Topper, Yakima Racks, Yakima Loadwarrior roof basket (lights all around) 20% window tint (all 4 doors), Spectre ProFab Air Intake System, Black grille, Rino Lined rocker panels, rear bumper and flares Suspension: New OME 881 coils and OME 5 leaf rear springs, Blilstein shocks and struts, Daystar Greasable lift shackels Extended rear brake line
    yes Downsouth is the cheapest place I think and I am pretty sure there is a discount for tacoma world members too.
    I bought my replacement bushings frome toyteclifts.com

If you are wanting to just simpily replace your shocks with new ones purely for improving handling and steeriing reasons than that is perfectly fine, actually leaving the struts set at the stock ride height setting will give you your best ride quality.

You can't go wrong with getting billies, I would highly recomend them for anyone.. even if you dont plan on lifting your truck, and yes they are bigger in diameter, you will be able to see the improved quality of the shock as soon as you pull them out of the box.

I hope this helps and Welcome!

4. May 30, 2011 at 10:07 AM
    928puddles

928puddles [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    03 tacoma
    thanks thats exactly what i want to do. just improve the handling.

5. Jun 2, 2011 at 12:08 AM
    TacoBlitz

TacoBlitz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    01 DoubleCab SR5 TRD, white
    Topper, Yakima Racks, Yakima Loadwarrior roof basket (lights all around) 20% window tint (all 4 doors), Spectre ProFab Air Intake System, Black grille, Rino Lined rocker panels, rear bumper and flares Suspension: New OME 881 coils and OME 5 leaf rear springs, Blilstein shocks and struts, Daystar Greasable lift shackels Extended rear brake line
    anytime

Products Discussed in

To Top