1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

More 6sp problems!!!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by bigfro, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Mar 30, 2011 at 8:27 PM
    bigfro

bigfro [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport DCSB
    Billy 5100 @ 1.85 + shim on L for Taco Lean Icon AAL 3 pack w Rear Overload Removed
    Well this last weekend, while I was in the middle of nowhere my clutch disk (has 4k on it) shattered. (I was not driving it hard, i was at highway speed and downshifted to 5th while going up a hill).

500 dollar tow bill....

Showed up at dealers doorstep, they found that they had placed the wrong part in it last time *There is a TSB for the clutch and pressure plate* Make sure you know which parts they are installing when dealing with a tob....

Once it was bolted all together now the truck grinds going into 3rd gear. So bad that you can't put it in 3rd.....

Working with the regional rep to see if they will help me out at all... 05' v6 6sp 78k.

Once this is fixed I am considering switching platforms to either an auto tacoma, or an auto fj....

Toyota... WTF?

2. Mar 30, 2011 at 8:29 PM
    toyotatacomaTRD

toyotatacomaTRD Senior Member

Member:
    Sorry to hear that.. I have been more than happy with the auto in my 05 if that helps with your decision.

3. Mar 30, 2011 at 8:31 PM
    bigfro

bigfro [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport DCSB
    Billy 5100 @ 1.85 + shim on L for Taco Lean Icon AAL 3 pack w Rear Overload Removed
    A buddy of mine has an 07 auto. It gets better gas mileage, shifts smoother, is just as capable off road... And most importantly.

Doesn't blow the F up 90 miles away from the nearest city.... Just getting a tow truck to come pick up my disabled rig was like pulling teeth from a rabid monkey.

4. Mar 30, 2011 at 8:31 PM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    Auto rules for a daily driver. I hope it all works itself out

5. Mar 30, 2011 at 8:49 PM
    Bushmaster

Bushmaster Hookit on fonix rilly fer mee

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    silver 08 4x4 TRD sport
    i was kinka kicking myself for getting an auto but i have been hearing alot that the manuals have been a real pain in the ass for a fair amount of people.....damn shame

6. Mar 30, 2011 at 9:37 PM
    Chris(NJ)

Chris(NJ) Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Usually in Central Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    Mods are currently being changed .....
    Hold on... Before everyone starts blaming Toyota and the Tacoma Manual Trans, re-read the first post. The Dealer installed the wrong part! This isnt a 6spd problem, its a dealership problem.

7. Mar 30, 2011 at 9:49 PM
    toyotatacomaTRD

toyotatacomaTRD Senior Member

Member:
    I know most "Good" credit cards have free towing also.. Most people don't even know they have it.

8. Mar 30, 2011 at 10:18 PM
    Chris(NJ)

Chris(NJ) Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Usually in Central Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    Mods are currently being changed .....
    agreed. I'm not saying they're flawless, but I hate it when blame is placed on the wrong person/part/company/whatever. And in this case, it seems like its the dealerships fault, and not toyota's transmission, thats all.

9. Mar 30, 2011 at 10:34 PM
    anethema

anethema Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Dawson Creek,BC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access cab 4x4
    ARB Bumper,OEM Roof rack modded for access cab, Allpro Rock Sliders,Icon Adjustable coilovers,More Tie Downs in bed, Firestone Airbags in rear,Block heater
    Ya the only widespread issue I've found is the throw-out bearing and shaft.

They have a very recent TSB 'Fix' for it but time will tell to see if it works.

The aftermarket fix is fortunately very cheap, relatively speaking.

A new bearing and what's basically a forever fix to the defect for $225.
    http://www.urdusa.com/More-Products...t_info.html?osCsid=vf7orl3ahloh9t16hrcrqpn4e6

Other than that, some people bitch about idle hang etc, but that really has nothing to do with the transmission. I haven't found it to be a problem at all either so YMMV.

10. Mar 30, 2011 at 11:06 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    I think the reason why the 6-speeds get so much negative rep is that Toyota's manual trannys used to be bombproof. I mean they would run forever. You'd blow the head gasket way before you'd grenade a syncro or have to replace a bell housing or throwout bearing.

Toyota clutch plates have been known to be on the small side, and have been known to wear out pretty fast. But I've never heard of one breaking apart. I've read of 2 now with the 6-speed.

The point is it's a fine tranny. And guys who have the 6-speed really have no reason to worry. Problems are very few and far between. But it just doesn't live up to Toyota's legendary manual transmission history. And that's too bad.

Now as far as the autos go, the A750 series appears to be a winner. It's been out there for some 8 years now, with remarkable success in the field. It's s good egg to be sure. And as time goes by, it looking more and more like a great egg .. a great design.

But autos grenade too. Autos seem to be more like hard drives though ... the vast majority of hard drives that fail either fail in the first 6 months or after 5 years. In between they're remarkably stable with a very low failure rate. Toyota's automatics seem to be that way. I hear of them failing in the first 10,000 miles and after 250,000 miles. But in between, as long as you keep them cool and filled, and don't bash the shit out of it, they tend to be remarkably stable, again with a very low failure rate.

11. Mar 30, 2011 at 11:15 PM
    snowgod06

snowgod06 UG legend wannabe

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    A farm field, OREGON
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab
    crap bolted and welded together....
    Yea i caught that and read some post's and just did .... :facepalm: haha

AAA is nice but in this situation the dealer i would think would be responsible for the towing charge, or even most insurance companies have towing for their plans.

Products Discussed in

To Top