1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

MORE ETHANOL IN FUEL

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by JONNY TACO, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Jan 23, 2011 at 11:08 AM
    JONNY TACO

JONNY TACO [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA.
    Vehicle:
    DARK METALLIC GRAY -DOUBLE CAB SHORT BED
    ADVANTAGE TONNEAU COVER,TOYOTA BED LINER, POP&LOCK TAILGATE LOCK, SIDE TUBES, WIFE IN PASSENGER SEAT
    There was a report in our paper that using 15% ethanol has been approved . I think that will be bad for our engines. Anyone know the real affects on our tacoma engines?

2. Jan 23, 2011 at 11:58 AM
    blazze2005

blazze2005 Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Pre-Runner Sport
    Fuel Off-Road Octane Wheels,Yokohama Geolander ATS 265/65/17.Grillcraft,Borla Exhaust,Truxedo Lo Pro Tonneau Cover,Pop n Lock Tailgate Security,Custom Wet Okle TRD Seat Covers,Catch-All Matts,Gatorback Belt,Shorty Antenna,Toyota Bed Matt,Sirius Radio,Vent Sades,20% Lumar Window Tint
    One of the main problems with using more ethanol in our gas is that the shelf life is less

Also Ethanol attracts moisture

For older vehicles it can break down the rubber fuel lines if the lines were not made to carry Ethanol Fuels

It will also kill your gas mileage as we all already know :(

3. Jan 23, 2011 at 12:05 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Tallahassee FL
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prerunner TRD Off Road
    265/75/16 BFG A/T, 18" Magnaflow, K&N Intake Filter, Ultra-Gauge, Kobalt Toolbox, Metal Tail Light Guards, Cobra 19 and 4ft fiberglass antenna, Plasti dipped Badges/lower valance/rear bumper/grill/bullbar/ac controls, black DIN kit, JVC KD-X40, Wet Suit Seat Covers
    Pisses me off that I'm paying $3.10 for a gallon of gasoline and 10% of that gallon is that corn shit. I used to be able to get near mid 20s per gallon on the highway, now I'm lucky to get over 20.

4. Jan 23, 2011 at 12:39 PM
    7350livin

7350livin Member

Member:
  5. Jan 23, 2011 at 1:45 PM
    tacomakid96

tacomakid96 Can you skin Grizz, pilgram?

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Out n' about
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    Airbags, Projectors, Bilsteins front and rear, FM 50 series, URD clutch/TOB, Leer canopy, 265/75/16 Duratrac's...
    my local conoco has ethanol free gas!

6. Jan 23, 2011 at 9:55 PM
    Toph

Toph Addicted to V8s

Member:
    Dirty South
    Vehicle:
    90 Mustang Notch, 06 CTS-V
    It's a bunch of BS...it raises food prices, decreases efficiency of our engines, has questionable effects on our vehicles. Just government political BS.

Ethanol requires a different A/F ratio than gasoline (I think it's 10/1 instead of 14/1), so you end up burning more fuel on E85 and E100 vehicles. I could see this being an issue down the road with cars since they're running too lean of a ratio for the fuel blend. Although the ethanol is raising the octane rating (which would battle the detination issues of the leaner mixture), it makes me wonder if the gas stations are just mixing shittier gas with it since the ethanol boosts the octane a little.

7. Jan 23, 2011 at 11:03 PM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    50 states wide.. it must be marked on the pump if it contains somewhere between any and 1%. Believe it when you see it.. But I remember reading that they were going to start pushing it in at least metropolitan areas for smog reasons.

People cried about the phasing out of lead too. Nothing to be done about it from your point of view other than be ready. I'm sure if there's a nation wide roll out of high ethanol gas there will be re-fittings or something. THings go as they are, probably a phase out of gasoline will start being discussed soon.

ROll with it, try to be ahead of the curve.

It just takes one drought to put ethanol on the back burner. 1 little famine or shortage. We have a great continent for raising crops. If our economy falters, it might become a problem... companies selling fuel corn etc instead of feeding americans. But I'm being a bit of an alarmist... though others are talking about it.

8. Jan 23, 2011 at 11:07 PM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    I wouldn't go that far. One of the primary causes of death in the US is air pollution. Mostly attributed to coal, but cars as well. TUrns out people care about that more than horsepower and few even understand the difference. Green, pollution control, hate for oil companies is big now-a-days.

Its not new, flex fuel cars have been sold for the last 10-15 years just for this reason. If all of a sudden they started selling 30% ethanol I would blame myself for not buying a GM. Not the USG or toyota.

9. Jan 24, 2011 at 6:37 AM
    twfsa

twfsa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Omaha Ne
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4
    881 Front coils, Bilstien 5100's all the way front set to "0" Icon Dynamic's mini leafs in rear, stock tires.
    Not all stations that sell 10% ethanol will sell the 15% because of the cost to install another pump on the island if there is room is what I read in the paper, unless big brother makes them convert that 10% to 15, that could be the senero.

To Top