1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Moreeee Powerrrrr!!!!! How do I get it?

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by turbothompson13, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Apr 25, 2011 at 10:44 AM
    turbothompson13

turbothompson13 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Parkersburg, WV
    Vehicle:
    08 2.7L
    4.5 inch front suspension lift, 3 inch rear end block lifts, 4 inches total lift, k&n cold air intake, racing shocks, front bilstien rear fox shocks, n fab pre runner light bar/bumper with fog lights, 33 inch nitto dune grapplers and ballistic jester 18 inch wheels.

i dont need a ton of power, it just gets frustrating driving it on hills and on the highway. feels like im burning the clutch out of it when i try to take off on any hill cuz i have to rev it so high to get any power to take off, so a performance clutch is deffinitely in store for me. and the re gear will help with that too. also for the amount of off roading that i do do, i just barely have enough power to go. its getting really frustrating and i just want to get more out of it. (and i am going to re gear it too, which will help a lot im sure.)

2. Apr 25, 2011 at 10:46 AM
    jspadaro

jspadaro Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    Oh, dude, didn't see you had 33's with a 4-popper. Definitely regear!

A lot of v6 guys have seen real improvement regearing when on 33's, and you've only got the 4.

My 32's are bad enough, I can only imagine with 33's, even with less weight (reg cab).

3. Apr 25, 2011 at 10:48 AM
    jspadaro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    It hadn't happened, and my emails back and forth didn't get very far, but then I decided to pick up the phone and see what the deal was.

And now my truck is about to go! :D

OP, it's probably the least economical way to get your power back though, for sure. But it'll be way more awesome... :thumbsup:

4. Apr 25, 2011 at 10:49 AM
    turbothompson13

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Parkersburg, WV
    Vehicle:
    08 2.7L
    4.5 inch front suspension lift, 3 inch rear end block lifts, 4 inches total lift, k&n cold air intake, racing shocks, front bilstien rear fox shocks, n fab pre runner light bar/bumper with fog lights, 33 inch nitto dune grapplers and ballistic jester 18 inch wheels.
  5. Apr 25, 2011 at 10:50 AM
    jspadaro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    Yeah, he's going to test fit on my truck over the next month or two. 4x4, access cab, 32" tires (265/75R16)

6. Apr 25, 2011 at 10:51 AM
    turbothompson13

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Parkersburg, WV
    Vehicle:
    08 2.7L

mines a regular cab too, and yeah the 33's killed my power. the re gear will be a big help im sure, and i plan to do that soon.

7. Apr 25, 2011 at 10:51 AM
    maxpower29

maxpower29 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 2.7 5 speed SWB
    All season mats, 2nd filter delete, DT header, Jardine cat-back, URD shifter, Bilstein 5100's all around at .85 front with Eibachs + .25 passenger/.5 drivers spacers and 1.5 AAL, 0w20 synthetic, Scanguage II, extra D rings, OEM backup camera+Mirror, bed mat, Extang Solid Fold, Popnlock 5300, Pro Comp 7089's 4.5bs 285/70/17 Revo 2s, De-badged
    YA, to the OP, I would re gear and add a header. Headers are ALWAYS the best mod for a simple bolt on

8. Apr 25, 2011 at 10:53 AM
    turbothompson13

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Parkersburg, WV
    Vehicle:
    08 2.7L

thats amazing man!!! i hope that it all goes good. can you let me know when you get it on? maybe post a few pics, or a video would be amazing.

9. Apr 25, 2011 at 10:53 AM
    jspadaro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    Are you 4x4? That's a lot of lift for 4wd if you have it.

If not, a reg cab prerunner with bunches o lift and 33's should do just fine with a regear, i'd imagine. Not a whole lot of weight.

10. Apr 25, 2011 at 10:54 AM
    jspadaro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    I'm pretty excited about it, plus I get to help get the kit out. The alpine one looked a little too sketchy for me to want to get it.

I'll definitely take videos and put them in my build thread, but it'll probably be til mid-June before I see the truck again.

11. Apr 25, 2011 at 10:54 AM
    turbothompson13

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Parkersburg, WV
    Vehicle:
    08 2.7L

yeah, i plan on doing that towards the end of the summer, i want to put a whole new exhaust on it, hearder back. or atleast past the cat, i already have a muffler and the cat back isnt much more than changing that anyways.

12. Apr 25, 2011 at 10:56 AM
    turbothompson13

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Parkersburg, WV
    Vehicle:
    08 2.7L
    mines a 4wd, i have 4 inches of lift on it. it clears the 33's really well, just a little rub when i have it totally turned to the right, or hit a bump and turn.

13. Apr 25, 2011 at 10:57 AM
    jspadaro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    Ouch, how do your CVs look?

14. Apr 25, 2011 at 10:58 AM
    turbothompson13

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Parkersburg, WV
    Vehicle:
    08 2.7L
    thats good, i wont be able to do anything this summer anyways, i will be in more training with the marines for 3 more months. so i hope to be able to see more about it when i get back. can you send me a link to your URD kit?

15. Apr 25, 2011 at 10:59 AM
    jspadaro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    It's his, not mine. I'm only associated insofar as my truck is being used to test fit.

Once he puts the kit out, I'm sure he'll post a link to it with information about it. It's not done yet. www.urdusa.com has his other kits though, including the v6 one.

16. Apr 25, 2011 at 11:00 AM
    turbothompson13

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Parkersburg, WV
    Vehicle:
    08 2.7L

not too bad to be honest. but if i were doing more serious off roading then it would probably become a problem.

17. Apr 25, 2011 at 11:05 AM
    turbothompson13

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Parkersburg, WV
    Vehicle:
    08 2.7L

i see. well i hope that his kit gets out and i can order one. the alpine one didnt really impress me much.

18. Apr 25, 2011 at 11:07 AM
    jspadaro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    The alpine one is designed for a right-hand drive truck. Also, like was said, the pipes route under the frame. Both of these things bother me...

I'd imagine Gadget will start shipping his kit very soon after he finishes test fitting, but I don't know for certain. I would expect that it'll probably be shipping retail by the time you get back at the end of the summer.

19. Apr 25, 2011 at 12:27 PM
    turbothompson13

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Parkersburg, WV
    Vehicle:
    08 2.7L
    i didnt know that alpines was only for right hand drives. and i saw that the fitment went under the frame in someone elses build and i really didnt like that. i hope that it is out when i am back, if not tho i may consider doing a turbo charger. i just dont know how much the turbo lag would affect my low end power.

20. Apr 25, 2011 at 12:28 PM
    jspadaro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    I meant that it was designed in South Africa for rh-trucks. It has been adapted in some fashion for our trucks, but apparently the fitment isn't totally perfect.

I really need more low-end, that's why I want a blower.

Products Discussed in

To Top