1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Mormons

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by cantac09, May 20, 2010.

1. May 20, 2010 at 10:22 PM
    only_K

only_K Future Owner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Central California
    Vehicle:
    Currently searching for dream truck...
    TBD
    Go watch the Southpark episode about Mormons. Im not sure the exact episode or season, It explains everything, and it is true. No matter how stupid it may sound.

2. Jun 11, 2010 at 2:09 PM
    BrettBretterson

BrettBretterson Wild Ginger

Member:
    Bothell, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    5100's
    haha, only in Utah

3. Jun 11, 2010 at 2:20 PM
    rentbw

rentbw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Colorado/Illinois
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 Tacoma Sport
    Bull bar, Nerf Bars, Headlights, Cold Air Intake, Flowmaster Duel Exhaust.
    The mormons came to my door and tried to convert me a few years back, I live lower class before I joined the army, So I made a comment on their 120 dollar shoes and a couple other things, needless to say they said I was black listed and unsavable.

4. Jun 11, 2010 at 2:22 PM
    Rucas

Rucas 1st gen

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Vehicle:
    1st gen. 4x4
    Custom Aluminum Camper
    Definitly. read this

5. Jun 11, 2010 at 2:27 PM
    Caduceus

Caduceus Well-Known Member

Member:
    in the Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD 4x4
    They wear special underwear that they have to buy from the church.

No, I'm not shitting you.

6. Jun 11, 2010 at 2:50 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    And you're not allowed to see them naked. And they really don't like you touching their women that much.

PS - Don't call the ambulance if you don't want to be seen naked or touched. Call a taxi.

7. Jun 11, 2010 at 3:02 PM
    Chad7088

Chad7088 Old Newbie

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    19th state
    Vehicle:
    ‘20 Tacoma Off Road DCSB 4x4 MT
    Lots to come

Nope wrong!! This was banned from the mainstream Mormon church back in 1890. THe fundalmentalist mormons continue it today but are in NO WAY associated with the mormon church

8. Jun 11, 2010 at 3:22 PM
    Lost_Humanity

Lost_Humanity Bad decisions make great stories.

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    It's a Toyota.
    Bumper Dent Mod
    A really good friend of mine is Mormon, but he's kind of a Jack Mormon (Mormon who has lost his way.)

He drinks, smokes, chews, cusses and drinks caffeine all the time. About the only things he does do that the Mormon faith asks is wear the undergarments and not sleep with anyone -- but that has more to do with him not being very socially adept.

Mormonism was founded by Joseph Smith when he was given the Golden Pages by God. Of course, only he could read them, and so he was the determining factor in the way the religion was founded and developed. Basically, it's like adding a third book to the Testament -- and is without a doubt the quintessential American religion (by Americans, for Americans!) although it has spread quite rapidly worldwide in the past century. Mormons are awesome at marketing.

Joseph Smith developed the idea of Polygamy (multiple wives) after being run out of several states, and is also the leading cause of his death.

Brigham Young was basically the heavy in the Mormon faith, and is most responsible for the shape it is in today. He was in charge of the westward expansion of the group, eventually settling in Utah. Young also did not like the idea of polygamy, but due to his devotion to the faith and Smith, fostered over 120 children with over 50 wives.

Polygamy was banned in 1890, when Utah wished to achieve statehood, and many fundamentalists still practice it, feeling that the government has no right to interfere with their religious beliefs. However, most of these fundamentalists are kinda kooky, and do not represent the doctrine of the mainstream faith.

Under The Banner of Heaven is an excellent read -- giving you a detailed history of the faith and a look into the world of fundamentalist Mormons. However, it is very, very sad and disturbing, and should not be seen as a reflection of the modern Mormon.

Upon turning 18, Mormon men are required to do a 2 year mission to a place determined by the church in order to spread the word and recruit new members to the faith. Given their ever-expanding numbers, seems they are doing a good job.

Most Mormons I know are nice, kind-hearted people who look out for each other and generally seem to be happy. Their faith seems borderline cultish to me, because of the secrecy and rituals, but as long as they're not hurting anyone, I've got no problems with them.

9. Jun 12, 2010 at 12:28 AM
    hoosiertaco

hoosiertaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    not even close
    not the same Jesus as Christians believe in
    Everyone must understand this statement very well, mormons believe Jesus was just a special man. They do not believe in the same Jesus, God, and Holy Ghost that Christians do! They do not believe in the trinity.

...........and I hope that nobody takes anything on this thread as gospel, go out and study if you want to know more about it.....and all Christians should study all cults of the world and be educated about them.............they all know about you.;)

10. Jun 12, 2010 at 1:18 AM
    subtleshift

subtleshift Noob

Member:
    First Name:
    Dallas
    Irvine, Ca
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma TRD
    K&N high flow filter, 2x Yakima bike mounts
    I was raised mormon, and I have taken many good values from the religion, but I dont consider myself mormon anymore, but I will say that from my point of view it is a religion with a lot of misconceptions and rumors created about it...

the best way to learn about the religion is to read about it yourself from a LEGIT mormon website www.lds.org ...not a website about mormons generated by christians, catholics, etc...

as for the whole trinity thing, the way I understand it is that christians believe that God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit are all the same being/entity, and that they are named differently so it is easier for us to comprehend...whereas mormons believe that God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit are all separate beings/entities but are all closely tied togethor so to speak; but they are still referred to as the trinity...

not to rant, but it is a major pet peeve of mine when christians tell people who are curious about the mormon religion stuff that mormons believe and why that belief is wrong, instead of informing them about their own religion and why it makes them happy in life...Its one thing to say my friend is mormon and I think its like this, but its different to say that mormons believe in something when they have no actual experience with the religion...unless you have spent years inside the religion learning about it from people who believe it and live it dont say mormons believe this, cause chances are you heard it from someone who is misinformed...

11. Jun 12, 2010 at 1:24 AM
    subtleshift

subtleshift Noob

Member:
    First Name:
    Dallas
    Irvine, Ca
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma TRD
    K&N high flow filter, 2x Yakima bike mounts
    just wanted to emphasize that mormons do believe in "the trinity", they just dont recognize it the same way the christians do...I just wanted to clarify since I can see how this could be confusing...

where the religion lost my interest was the Joseph Smith story...like I said I have taken many good values from the religion but sometimes you just have to take a step back from the whole thing and say "what are my learning, and why do I believe/not believe in this"

12. Jun 12, 2010 at 1:28 AM
    Manlaan

Manlaan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Riverton, Utah
    Vehicle:
    2002 XtraCab SR5 V6 4x4 Black
    See Signature
    After reading this, it just reminded me so much of that Southpark about Mormons I had to rewatch it. http://www.southparkstudios.com/episodes/103933

(Lived in Utah my whole life and raised mormon, although went my own way after high school. If I were to try to group Mormons into a sterotype, they really are some of the nicest and most helpful people. Maybe I'm just prejudice living here though.)

13. Jun 12, 2010 at 1:57 AM
    Loiman20

Loiman20 Well-Known Member

Member:
    utah
    Vehicle:
    double cab long bed
    BFG All Terrains 265/75/16 bull bar guard nerf bars 2 inch leveling kit grillcraft sport grill "toyota" emblem
    I live in Utah.....and are surrounded by them. They are basically a branch off of Christians. Really nice people. Only thing is they won't leave you alone and try to convert you. True story. I was almost baptized against my will. Yes, they set a date for me to be baptized before my acknowledgment.
    I politely declined haha.

14. Jun 12, 2010 at 2:32 AM
    Manlaan

Manlaan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Riverton, Utah
    Vehicle:
    2002 XtraCab SR5 V6 4x4 Black
    See Signature
    It really depends on the converting thing. The worst ones are the ones that just got back from their mission (still in conversion mode). Also the home teachers are pretty pushy. Mom let them in the door a few times and now she says they wont leave her alone, wanting monthly visits and giving her cookies and such. All the rest are just fine though.

15. Jun 12, 2010 at 3:38 AM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    [​IMG]

This usually keeps'em away.

16. Jun 12, 2010 at 4:24 AM
    hoosiertaco

Member:
    The underlined area completely explains one important key difference between Mormonism and Christianity. No matter how you sugar coat it, Mormons believe in a completely different God than Christians.Period.

btw-I never said anything about anything being wrong. Just stating some informational facts so others can make their own decisions.
    Are you sure about that? Please explain more if you would.

again I will say, this is the internet, don't believe me or anyone else, spend some time studying and use your own brain to decipher the information. Also be sure to pick up a Holy Bible and read it front to back, all the directions are in there.:D

17. Jun 12, 2010 at 5:03 AM
    005Tacoma

005Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Thomasville, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma
    Just request a Bible from them and 2 or 3 people will stop by your house to deliver your free bible and teach you there ways.

18. Jun 12, 2010 at 5:06 AM
    hoosiertaco

Member:
    but they keep wanting to talk about this smith dude........:goingcrazy:

19. Jun 12, 2010 at 5:29 AM
    Mush Mouse

Mush Mouse Club Soda Not Seals

Member:
    First Name:
    mush
    where ever you want me to be
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5
    its a Toyota truck and that's all the modifications needed
    Just a tip,dont drink coffee,alcohol,hot liquids,but especially never drink the Grape KoolAide!:devil:

20. Jun 12, 2010 at 8:05 AM
    Chad7088

Chad7088 Old Newbie

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    19th state
    Vehicle:
    ‘20 Tacoma Off Road DCSB 4x4 MT
    Lots to come
    Everyone must understand this statement very well, mormons believe Jesus was just a special man. They do not believe in the same Jesus, God, and Holy Ghost that Christians do! They do not believe in the trinity.

What kind of statement is this??? We believe in God, the Father....in His son Jesus Christ.....and in the Holy Ghost. Jesus is the center of our religion and believe in Him and worship Him. He atoned for our sins and died for each of us!! If this is the same Jesus you believe in then we believe in the same one.

For the record....the mormon's official name is "The Church of Jesus Christ of latter day saints"

Products Discussed in

To Top