1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Mormons

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by cantac09, May 20, 2010.

1. Jun 12, 2010 at 8:16 AM
    Marioso

Marioso Risueno

Member:
    San diego Ca
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota Fj Cruiser
    watch big love?

2. Jun 12, 2010 at 11:44 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    The word "cult" has a bad connotation bringing up images of a commune with mind-controlled followers, but all it really means is that is different in some fundamental way from the mainstream (in this case, traditional Christianity).

3. Jun 12, 2010 at 12:12 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    The difference is terminology. You do believe in Jesus, but the Jesus of the Mormon church is different than the Jesus of mainstream Christianity. In Mormonism, he is the spirit brother of Lucifer (since Jesus is considered a created being). He is a distinct God from the Father and the Holy Spirit (three Gods).

In mainstream Christianity, we believe in one God and one God only (not three seperate gods). The Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit are one God manifested in three persons, all co-equal, and co-eternal. Like the Father and the Holy Spirit, there was never a time that the Son did not exist.

Note that they are not mearly a renaming of God for our understanding as one had mentioned in an earlier post (also called modalism or Sabellianism, where God puts on a different hat or changes modes). We also believe that Satan or Lucifer is a fallen archangel, not in anyway close a relation, or co-equal to Jesus in any nature.

Other religions also believe in the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit and that Jesus died to atone for their sins. Examples include the Jehovah's Witnesses and Christian Science. They use the same terms (Jesus, the Father, and the Holy Spirit) but they do not mean the same thing.

4. Jun 12, 2010 at 12:15 PM
    Jimmyjohn

Jimmyjohn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Big Sky Country Montana
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 4x4 DLB CAB
    Smitty Blt Bull Bar& Skid Plate, PIAA 525SMR lights
    One thing is that they take care of their own-It has been said that you can have all the wives you want!! As though one isn't enough.

5. Jun 12, 2010 at 12:26 PM
    Sapper26

Sapper26 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Columbus, GA
    Vehicle:
    99 Xtra Cab 4x4
    Just check out the South Park episode on the Mormon Religion. I think most of your questions will be answered.

6. Jun 12, 2010 at 12:34 PM
    hoosiertaco

hoosiertaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Two great explanations Robert and quoted for content! Thank You.

7. Jun 12, 2010 at 12:54 PM
    amrich

amrich Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Sport
    Nothing yet...
    Most people only make assumptions or pass on stuff they hear from others. Be careful with what you hear because not all is true. They are Christians that believe in Christ who try to live at a higher standard than what the world is at by keeping all the commandments, going to church weekly, giving service to others and stuff like that

8. Jun 12, 2010 at 2:05 PM
    Mush Mouse

Mush Mouse Club Soda Not Seals

Member:
    First Name:
    mush
    where ever you want me to be
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5
    its a Toyota truck and that's all the modifications needed
    Does not believing in the Trinity but having been reborn in Christ eliminate them from going to Heaven?:rolleyes:

9. Jun 12, 2010 at 4:37 PM
    knayrb

knayrb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Somewhere in the square states
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl-Cab Off-Road
    Pure stock
    I just ran into this thread and I've been laughing the whole time. For the record, I am a Mormon and very active in my religion for 51 years. The real name of the Church is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Most of you have been believing rumors and untruths - a lot of which are spread by other religions. The Big Love series is fiction and is not about Mormons. Also you are doing the "if A=B, and B=C, then A=D" many times.

I do not have more than 1 wife and no one of the 13+ million members of my religion does. Period! I can hardly handle the wife I have now. Why would I want another?

I do not drink or smoke because because we believe our bodies are temples for our Spirits and we should take care of them. I have many friends that do use harmful substances and allow them to do it.

I try hard not to swear and profane. (On a side note - I read this forum regularly and I have to say that the language on this forum is the worst that I've ever seen. It's disappointing and I've been wondering if I should drop my membership here.)

I was a missionary in Australia for 2 years and cheerfully I took "no" for an answer a billion times. I do not twist my friends and neighbors arm to join the Church. I do not have horns coming out of my head.

More importantly I respect all religions and even those that profess not to believe in anything.

Go to www.mormon.org and/or www.lds.org and get some straight facts. I don't go to Ford or Chevrolet to learn about Toyotas.

10. Jun 13, 2010 at 12:21 PM
    10silvertaco

10silvertaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Vehicle:
    no longer own Tacoma, now own 2011 Outback
    I live Utah since I was 3 years old. I was raised "jack mormon" and was confusing about different religions. Mom's side are mormon and jack mormon. My dad's side is some other religions and some non-religions. My mom and dad divorced when I was 8 years old. Mom remarried to my step dad who was baptism.

During my teen years, I find out more other religions and I was on my own way during junior year at high school. I do not believe anything about Joseph Smith.

I have nothing against mormon or other religions. I am just keep my faith. Yeah I do drink beers and coffee, ex smoker for 2 or 3 years, and have tattoos. I never do drugs because I am against it and don't want to fuck up my life.

My step dad convert to mormon last year and they will "re-marry" at the temple. I was kind of against it but my mom and step dad are really cool parent and let us do what we want to.

Anybody who believe in any religions, that is fine and respect that and do not try to change me!

11. Jun 13, 2010 at 3:07 PM
    Mush Mouse

Mush Mouse Club Soda Not Seals

Member:
    First Name:
    mush
    where ever you want me to be
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5
    its a Toyota truck and that's all the modifications needed
    :confused::spy:

12. Jun 13, 2010 at 3:23 PM
    5spd

5spd TW OP

Member:
    First Name:
    Kari
    San Antonio, Tx
    Vehicle:
    '10 5spd PreRunner
    http://www.southparkstudios.com/guide/712/

There is your guide lol jk

I hope it doesn't offend anyone it's just a joke.

On a side note i've known several Mormans and they are some of the nicest people i've ever met. They just always seem really happy and down to earth.

13. Jun 14, 2010 at 4:43 AM
    hoosiertaco

hoosiertaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    it's a trap..........everyone run..............:burnrubber:

14. Jun 14, 2010 at 8:45 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    the only ones I know ride bikes in the damn street and knock on my door and make my dogs bark...

15. Jun 14, 2010 at 8:55 AM
    28Gauge

28Gauge Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Grapevine, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5
    Sockmonkey Graphics, K&N Drop In Air Filter, 265/75/16 Bridgestone Dueler A/T's, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Mats, Dee Zee Bed Mat, Map Light/Dome Light LED's, Flo-Pro Muffler w/Stainless Steel Tip, Dome Light/Map Light Mod, Mobil 1 Synthetic Motor Oil, LED Cupholder Mod, Grillcraft with TOYOTA emblem, Vision 375 Warrior Wheels, Extra Bed D Ring Mod, TRD Skidplate, Bilstein 5100's on all four corners, Front 5100's set at zero with Eibach springs, Toytec 1.5" rear TSB add-a-leaf springs, Toytec swaybar relocate kit, Katzkin Leather Seating, Front Window Tint
    Mormons lose me with the whole planet Kolob and the Garden of Eden was in Missouri thing.

Products Discussed in

To Top