1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Mosin Nagant Discussion

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by YayAreaTaco0311, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Jan 21, 2012 at 3:49 PM
    JasoTaco

JasoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    ToyTec Ultimate 3" Lift -TSB Rear springs - TRD Cold Air Intake - TRD Skid Plate - Total Chaos Upper Control Arms - 2 Hella Rallye 4000 lights (130W Bulbs) - Clear Bra - Under Coat - Bed extener - Toyota Bed Mat - Weathertech floor mats - Tailgate hose clamp & washer mod - PIAA Fog Lights - ScanGauge II - Beefed Sliders - Differential Breather Mod - Heated Seats - All-Pro Bumper - Warn M8000 Winch with wireless controls - Boztec Diff Skid - ATO skids
    I'm not sure it's fair to say the Mosin Revolver would only have a "slightly larger" kick than the 7.62X54R Mosin Nagant round.

Of course loads may vary but they are not even in the same ball park.
    Mosin Nagant Revolver 7.62x38R
    Velocity: 738 fps. Muzzle Energy of 118 ft. lbs.
    Mosin Nagant 7.62X54R
    Velocity of 2,953 fps. Muzzle Energy of 2,905 ft lbs

I consider myself a purest but with an estimated 17+ million Mosin Nagants made I would not feel bad in the slightest chopping one up to make a one of a kind firearm.
    As a side note I'm really interest in getting my C&R license if you don't mind me asking are there any surplus dealers you have dealt with and could recommend? :cheers:

2. Jan 21, 2012 at 3:57 PM
    ChewbacaTW

ChewbacaTW My progeny will be awesome!

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    02 Xtra Cab TRD off road
    K&N air intake, custom exhaust, Powerslot Brakes, urethane steering rack bushings
    Can anyone say 'hand cannon'? :D

3. Jan 21, 2012 at 4:11 PM
    JasoTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    ToyTec Ultimate 3" Lift -TSB Rear springs - TRD Cold Air Intake - TRD Skid Plate - Total Chaos Upper Control Arms - 2 Hella Rallye 4000 lights (130W Bulbs) - Clear Bra - Under Coat - Bed extener - Toyota Bed Mat - Weathertech floor mats - Tailgate hose clamp & washer mod - PIAA Fog Lights - ScanGauge II - Beefed Sliders - Differential Breather Mod - Heated Seats - All-Pro Bumper - Warn M8000 Winch with wireless controls - Boztec Diff Skid - ATO skids
    That's what I'm talking about!!! Of course you will lose energy by cutting the barrel bla bla bla but still.

I've gotten bored with my Dessert Eagle and need a bigger hand cannon.

4. Jan 21, 2012 at 4:40 PM
    pyroskier

pyroskier Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Laramie, WY
    Vehicle:
    2004 Ext Cab TRD 3.4
    Any recommendations on where to buy Stripper clips and which brands to look for?

5. Jan 21, 2012 at 4:50 PM
    ChewbacaTW

ChewbacaTW My progeny will be awesome!

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    02 Xtra Cab TRD off road
    K&N air intake, custom exhaust, Powerslot Brakes, urethane steering rack bushings
  6. Jan 21, 2012 at 6:26 PM
    Devious6

Devious6 Not your Average College President Emeritus

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Northeast Pennsyltuckyvania
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green TRD Pro
    Once you get your C&R from ATF, there are numerous places to pick up MILSURPS. I personally have had good experiences with Southern Ohio Gun andh ave also bought from RGuns and AIM Surplus. Gun shows also become easier - especially out of state ones since all you need is ID and your C&R. No checks required.

The best $30 I spend every three years.

7. Jan 21, 2012 at 8:48 PM
    StZu

StZu Where the White Women At?

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Dallas Texas
    Vehicle:
    18 Super White TRD Offroad
    Level 8 Wheels, Bilstien/Eibach lift, 2" aal, blacked out rear bumper, AC drain hose relocation, sound deadening 4 doors and back wall, amp/speaker upgrade, 10" daytona sub, LED interior lights.
    ditto, you also get a pretty good discount at brownells and midway.

8. Jan 24, 2012 at 12:53 PM
    Richard Cranium

Richard Cranium The lice...they hate the sugar

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Omaha, NE
    Vehicle:
    2013 Raven FR-S
    Forever sideways and smiling :D
    Also one of the only suppressable revolvers you can get...pretty neat gun actually.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvF4yurWSc0

9. Jan 24, 2012 at 1:04 PM
    JasoTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    X2

I just ordered two of them :cool:

They really are an engineering marvel.

Wouldn't it be cool to have a S&W 500 that had the same design with the cylinder moving forward to the barrel. So much energy is wasted through the cylinder gap.

10. Jan 26, 2012 at 10:14 AM
    button

button Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    Stafford VA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Trd off road x-cab 6-speed super white
    total chaos UCAs, OMEs all around, dakar leafs, tib.bump stops, extended brake line, yota bajas wrapped in 285/75,dakota digital interface, extra bed tie downs,tail gate theft mod,beefed sliders,
  11. Feb 4, 2012 at 12:51 PM
    JasoTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Here are the two Nagant Revolvers I picked up plus some ammo. Can you guess which cost me more.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Feb 4, 2012 at 1:44 PM
    crazyengineer

crazyengineer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    patrick
    Bristol, TN
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad
    K&N Cold Air Intake, Warn Winch and Bumper Guard, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Undercover Bed Cover, TRD Kenwood Head Unit, Infiniti Speakers, JL 13.5 inch pancake sub
    I am assuming the ammo, can i ask how much the ammo costed you?

13. Feb 4, 2012 at 2:15 PM
    JasoTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    $21.95 a box (50rds) and then about 9 bucks for shipping. I ordered four boxes and then made some phone calls because I wanted to go shoot the guns before my ammo order came in and the only local shop that had the 7.62 Nagant ammo wanted $35.00 a box :eek:. So based on that I placed a second order to stock up.

Obviously not a gun I plan on shooting a lot but I want to have plenty of ammo for when I want to shoot it.

Palmetto State Armory has the best ammo /shipping price I could find online.
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ammunition/handgun-ammunition/7-62-nagant.html

14. Feb 22, 2012 at 12:09 PM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Scored me a 1930 Tula Mosin Nagant with all matching numbers with all the accesories and one of those 440 round cans of ammo for 235.00. First year they switched from Dragoons. Has hex receiver. Brazed on globe sight so not sure if it was upgraded from the blade sight because supposedly the first ones during non-wartime were stamped from single piece of steel. Has the refurb post-war stock, the strap slings flanges are pressed in and supposedly the first ones had screwed in ones. Found a nice 1931 stock that I may pick up just to get closer to original since the action is 1930. No marking for sniper but plenty of others. No cool marking on the stock other than the box with slash indicating armory refurb in Ukraine. Barrel looks to be in good shape. Have disassembled and reassembled a coupla times for practice and light cosmoline wiping. Will be doing serious cleaning once all my "mods" arrive. Have recoil pad, headspace gauge, trigger slack spring and stippers on the way & most likely will be getting a weatherproof monte carlo stock and save the originals. Maybe some kind of scope that can be swapped back to original sights. Not doing anything permanent as far as mods on it. Probably gonna score some non-corrosive ammo when time to go shoot it and not even open up the 440 tin.

Lots of info here...............

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinM9130S.htm

15. Feb 22, 2012 at 12:20 PM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
  16. Feb 22, 2012 at 2:50 PM
    JasoTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Nice score! The hex receivers Mosins from my experience are getting harder to find.

I'm not sure. That could be.

I took one the Nagant revolvers out two weeks ago and it was a ton fun. It compliments the 91/30 Mosin nicely. :)

17. Feb 22, 2012 at 4:20 PM
    45acp

45acp Paint me back in Wyoming again...

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Boring, Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    1981 Long bed 4x4
    Here's mine. Built by Westinghouse sometime between 1915-18.

[​IMG]

My great grandfather brought it back stateside after fighting in WW1. My great uncle had it sporterized. :(
    Other than that, it's in great shape.

18. Feb 22, 2012 at 4:27 PM
    george2pak

george2pak Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    BIG G
    Phoenix,AZ
    Vehicle:
    4x4 sr5 TRD offroad
    Brute Force Fab front& rear bumper with winch, sliders, skid plates by Relentless, tires 285/75/16" , wheels by SCS , CB Stryker SR497 etc
    You can't a better rifle nowher for that money.

19. Feb 22, 2012 at 10:24 PM
    JasoTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Rumor has it Big Five picks up the worst grade Mosins. I would recommend checking out the Mosins at a local gun shop before settling on a Big Five Mosin.

20. Feb 23, 2012 at 3:29 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    The place I found them had 2 crates and the ones in the crate I got to pick from were all 1930 thru 1935 and they all had hex receivers. Was hard to pick just one. They all seemed to be in good shape too.

Products Discussed in

To Top