1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Most UCA's Have a huge design FLAW!

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by toku58, Jan 10, 2022.

1. Jan 12, 2022 at 11:08 AM
    toku58

toku58 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    On a Rock in the middle of the Pacific
    Vehicle:
    Mall Crawler!
    21' TRD OffRoad 2" 887 OME on Bilstein 5100's. 285/70R17 General Grabbers G3 17x8.5" Icon TRD wheels (Gun metal gray) 4.75" BS
    Not really. I don't plan on launching the truck. I'm ordering bigger bump stops.
    I know that at full stuff the tire can come into contact with the top of the fender well. But again I don't plan on launching the truck anytime soon, and this would happen no matter which UCA's you use.

2. Jan 12, 2022 at 11:10 AM
    toku58

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Mall Crawler!
    21' TRD OffRoad 2" 887 OME on Bilstein 5100's. 285/70R17 General Grabbers G3 17x8.5" Icon TRD wheels (Gun metal gray) 4.75" BS
    I also plan on lifting my truck about 1/2" more and reinstalling my front mud flaps. (That might rub) But shouldn't be too bad.

3. Jan 12, 2022 at 11:17 AM
    rlx02

rlx02 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Member:
    Western WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    That's what I'm saying. Regardless of UCA or castor on big hits on stock bump stops you will rub the pinch weld, but that doesn't affect daily drivability. For your 285s, I just needed to cut/pound the area where the mudflap was. For 35s I have to do the whole thing and still get bigger bump stops so I don't rub the inner fender until I tub.

4. Jan 12, 2022 at 11:25 AM
    toku58

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Mall Crawler!
    True! You'll probably need to do a CMC also.

But this isn't about that. This is about the Approach of UCA manufactures to solving alignment issue when lifting our trucks.

The only point of this thread is that adding Caster is Not the best way to resolve the alignment issue's with a 3" lift. Because it creates additional problems. (that's the "Flaw")

chinoxmk22 and rlx02[QUOTED] like this.
  5. Jan 12, 2022 at 11:27 AM
    rlx02

rlx02 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Member:
    Western WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    Understood and I agree with your point that most aftermarket UCAs will reduce clearance and make rubbing worse. Just nitpicking when people say like "it doesnt rub at all if you just do this..."

toku58[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  6. Jan 12, 2022 at 12:01 PM
    71tattooguy

71tattooguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dino
    Petaluma , Ca (707)
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCLB TRD OFF- ROAD
    Kings 2.5” front and rears from Accutune / ICON RXT LEAF PACK black badges doors and tailgate / method 315 / 255/85/16 Yokohama G003 / magnaflow exhaust , axle dump / meso int delete kit / meso led map lights / dome lights / wheelers front super bumps / accutune Flip kit with spacer and new bumps / Cali raised fog light pods / Cali raised ditch lights / RCI FULL SKIDS / SLIDERS / RCI rear bumper / rigid backup lights / tuned on 4.88’s
    No rub on 32’s :anonymous:

photogr4x4, Aqualoon, ZMan2k2 and 3 others like this.
  7. Jan 12, 2022 at 12:41 PM
    Magalahi

Magalahi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD sport 4x4
    Well hopefully after I get the SPC UCA’s installed, it’ll solve my rubbing problems.

8. Jan 12, 2022 at 12:50 PM
    Buttskevin21

Buttskevin21 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2019 Brocoma, 37s, Lt, Dual Tcases, blah blah blah https://www.instagram.com/kevinjbutts/
    Stock-ish
    Mine are setting F, feels like 2 degrees or so of Castor, -1.5 camber, pinch weld pounded flat, normal cmc, superbumps. I just barely scuff the inner fenders, and scuff the firewall at full stuff and when the Lca bushings flex out all the way (front tire bound into a rock). Just switched to 2" spacers instead of 1.25s, so will probably have to hammer the firewall a hair more.

rlx02[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Jan 13, 2022 at 2:06 PM
    Montana_Actual

Montana_Actual ;)

Member:
    Trying to calculate if my Ironman UCA's are all the sudden a danger to society like:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
    ZMan2k2 likes this.
  10. Jan 21, 2022 at 4:33 PM
    NomadDan

NomadDan Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Lunar Rock TRD Pro
    Totally agree. I recently bought my 2021 Tacoma so I am new to the whole suspension lift topic. I am a mechanical engineer and a lot of what people do when they lift their trucks does not make sense to me.

Why don't manufactures make a Lower Control Arm with the ball joint moved forward to add caster back? To me that would be a better approach. It would add caster and move the tire forward for better clearance.

11. Jan 21, 2022 at 6:41 PM
    toku58

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Mall Crawler!
    That would be an awesome approach to this puzzle! Seems like someone came up with the UCA fix and decided to Stop right there and declared it a win? Even if it caused so many other issue.
    LCA’s would be a great "thinking outside of the box" solution to this problem. Something people need a fresh perspective to an old problem.
    LCA's are actually easier to swap out than the UCA!

EDIT: I was just thinking that replacing the LCAs would still leave the poor angle of the UCAs after a lift. Also the loss of camber is another issue that I don't think can be properly corrected with the LCA. Because it would move the tire outward more and may protrude outside the fenders more.
    But this still opens the door to a "Better Mouse Trap" we need to continue to brainstorm. May be a combination of both is required?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
  12. Jan 21, 2022 at 7:27 PM
    Sandman TRD

Sandman TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indy
    Vehicle:
    2018 Black DCSB TRD Off Road 4x4
    I’m in here to learn, and I appreciate posts like these. I currently have a set of JBA UCAs I am about to install. I was under the impression adding positive caster moves the wheel/tire more towards the front (away from the cab mount) of the vehicle. Is this incorrect?

madcratebuilder and boston23 like this.
  13. Jan 22, 2022 at 7:54 AM
    NomadDan

NomadDan Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Lunar Rock TRD Pro
    If you move the ball joint position on the UCA to the front, that decreases caster. All of the non-adjustable UCAs that I've seen move the ball joint position to the rear to increase caster.

My long term plan is to get a high clearance front bumper to make room for the tire in the front. Install SPC UCAs and run them in the max forward position. Adjust the LCA cams to the max forward position. Adjust the camber with the SPCs. I am going to see if this will clear a 255/85R17 (35") tire.

There are lots of people running skinny 255/80R17 or 255/85R16 (33") on a stock truck with stock wheels with no rubbing. My thinking is if I run a skinny 35 in the max forward position it will clear the cab mount and rear fender. It might hit the top of the fender liner at full stuff, but that is easy to fix.

14. Jan 22, 2022 at 8:20 AM
    Taco-Obsessed

Taco-Obsessed Wildlife Peeping Tom

Member:
    Here is an of the out of box solution. Linked the 3rd gen for you but 2nd gen is available too.
    https://jdfabrication.com/products/tacoma-2016-lower-arm-pivots-899-99

Entire thread on it below. Starts about here :
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...avel-and-934-cv’s.626274/page-9#post-21680758

15. Jan 22, 2022 at 9:43 AM
    NomadDan

NomadDan Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Lunar Rock TRD Pro
  16. Jan 23, 2022 at 9:57 AM
    Sandman TRD

Member:
    Indy
    Vehicle:
    @toku58 Any advice on this? I have JBAs I am about to install which have 3 degrees of caster built in. Positive caster, from my understanding and research, is when the wheel/tire is moved towards the front of the vehicle.

This is straight from JBAs website:

“What is more caster? More caster is the top ball joint moved back toward the cab and the lower ball joint moved forward away from the cab the angle between the two ball joints is the caster. We have moved the upper ball joint back to give the alignment tech the ability to move the lower ball joint forward. So with the lift kit, you get between 3 & 4.5 degrees caster. Giving the vehicle ideal handling offroading and on the highway!”

I am running a larger than stock wheel and tire set up (& aggressive offset) so am putting these in with plans of being able to adjust the wheel/tire away from the cab for additional clearance and as well as a better overall alignment.

17. Jan 23, 2022 at 10:26 AM
    WormSquirts

WormSquirts Armageddon

Member:
    First Name:
    Braeden
    BC
    Adding caster with the UCA moves the tire back towards the firewall a small amount. Adding caster with the LCA move the tire forward towards the bumper a medium amount. You will gain more clearance by moving the LCA forward than you would moving the UCA forward.

Both caster and camber are lost when lifting.

If you have SPC's and set them in the forward position, then adjust the LCA all the way forward with the cams, you will still have low caster, even if it is "in spec". The specs for a Tacoma are between 1.2-2.8 degrees if I remember correctly. The best setup for handling off-road is 3+ degrees, though 2.5 degrees is not bad by any means, it's just not the "best".

If you use the cams to adjust the LCA all the way forward, you will be twisting the rubber bushings, causing some premature wear. If you don't off-road much, this won't be a problem, but for those who do off-road a fair amount, you will blow through bushings somewhat regularly.

JD fabrication does make a kit that solves several problems, but it's main benefit is the ability to move the LCA forward up to an inch without binding the LCA bushings. However, it is a fair amount of cutting and welding to install. https://jdfabrication.com/collections/05-15-6-lug/products/tacoma-05-18-lower-arm-pivots

HOWEVER; Regardless of where you move the tire in the wheel well, the wheel well does NOT get bigger. I see and hear of lots of people claiming their tires don't rub with 33's etc. This depends entirely on how you use your truck. If you drive around on pavement, then likely, they will rarely, or possibly never rub. If you drive off-road, and flex the suspension or hit big bumps, especially with the wheels turned, you WILL rub with 33's, and I won't even get into what is required to properly clear 35's. The only way to clear bigger tires throughout the full range of motion, turning and suspension travel, is to cut, trim, etc. I doubt many, if any people who claim they clear 33's with no rubbing have ever pulled their coils and cycled their suspension properly to check.

I am just talking about how to clear them properly, at full bump, with the steering turned all the way. If you limit your steering or your suspension with longer bump stops, this will stop the rubbing, but at the cost of a worse performing vehicle.

None of this is new information, but there is a lot of misinformation out there, including in this thread. For credentials, I do own a shop that works exclusively on off-road Toyotas and do this for a living every day. I also have 37" tires on my Tacoma with no rubbing at full compression, lock to lock. I actually have cycled suspension properly with many suspension setups and different sized tires. The wheel specs, width, backspace, offset, make a huge difference on what tires clear.

18. Jan 23, 2022 at 10:50 AM
    Sandman TRD

Member:
    Indy
    Vehicle:
    Good post here. Thanks for that info, always nice hearing from a credible source. So are my JBAs going to be of benefit to me with a 2” lift up front from Bilstein 6112s or is a different brand better or it almost seem according to the OP I’m waisting my $$ on aftermarket UCAs. I have seen plenty of alignment sheets of people with JBAs showing 3-4 degrees of caster and perfect toe and camber. A final positive caster # is the wheel moving forward in the wheel well correct? Before reading this guys post I was under the impression getting 3.5 positive caster would be no issue. I will be running a 285/70/17 and do plan on doing a CMC and trimming/molding of the plastic in the wheel well.

19. Jan 23, 2022 at 11:40 AM
    toku58

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Mall Crawler!
    Basic answer to this is that aftermarket UCAs that add Caster move the range of articulation towards the cab mount.
    This is why I like SPC.
    Because you can keep the OEM caster (By using setting "G") and use their UCA to correct the "Camber" (By using the sliding ball mount)

at this time with the products I've seen this is the simplest way to achieve the best clearance.
    But like it was stated, the wheel well on our trucks are only so big. You still may have rubbing issues due to the fact that all wheels and tires are made with a "rainbow" of options of size and offset.

But the point of this thread was to enlighten people that adding Caster to correct a loss of Camber issue from lifting the truck is a bad idea.
    You would be best off keep your stock UCAs!

20. Jan 23, 2022 at 11:56 AM
    Cryptictoy

Cryptictoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Esperance, N.Y
    Just skimmed through this quick. This is why I started drawing these up a couple years ago and just did the first ones past fall. So far only minor changes to them , for the next set . Truck drives great compared to stock arms with a lift. Link from before have some more updates on what actually hits. Still have to put a 35 on and see if it clears in front and the 1-2-10-11 o clock area.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/how-to-fit-bigger-rubber-my-way.742142/

Saskabush and Sandman TRD like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top