1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

motorcycle buying guide

Discussion in 'Motorcycles' started by 07TacoRidah, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Apr 18, 2010 at 6:14 PM
    tinker_troy

tinker_troy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T R O Y
    WY/SD
    Vehicle:
    #3, 2015 SR AC 4x4 V6 6 speed
    shackle brace, rear sway bar, 3 gen seats, Coupe Shifter, 3rd gen OR front springs + shocks, 17" TuRD PRO replica wheels
    HAHAHAHAHA!
    That is some seriously funny sh*t.

2. Apr 18, 2010 at 6:16 PM
    busatodd

busatodd BUSATODD

Member:
    whiteland
    Vehicle:
    2016 limited mgm
    3rd gen 5100 bilstiens set at 0 with ome 888s, LR UCA, 5160 bilstiens in back with icon 3 leaf aal with 1" block. Fuel savage wheel wrapped in nitto ridge grapplers 285/70/17
    i had 2 89 cbrs and 2 88 cbr hurricans, then bought a 90 cbr. only problem i ever had with any of them was cam chain tensioners would rattle alittle.
    i just like the big bikes, alot more comfortable

3. Apr 18, 2010 at 6:22 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    agreed... alot of people are afraid of the power but the busa is far more docile and mild on the street than a 600 IMO (throttle management required lol) all that low end torque power on demand. super comfy and stable. gotta love it... not trying to thread jack. dont be afraid to look at non racing bikes with good low end

SV650 is a great bike for a first timer too

4. Apr 18, 2010 at 7:48 PM
    07TacoRidah

07TacoRidah [OP] SHHHH, this is interesting

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Base Model Access Cab
    Engine bay: aFe Pro Dry filter Secondary air filter deleted Sokie Tech hood damper kit OReiley battery terminals Big 3 upgrade (0g wiring) 2012 Headlight swap HID kit (headlight 6k/fog light 3k) Sylvania Zevo LED turn signals w/hyper flash resistors Rear back up light GY6 bulb Bullz Audio 0g wire Exterior: Dynamik Retro Projector style headlight housing Depo Euro Black Altezza LED tails 2012 front grill/bumper cover w/ fog light and hood swap Rear bumper swap (to chrome, painted w/bedliner paint) 99 Cents Store tailgate lock Suspension: XR Bilsteins Universal Air Suspension strut bag Custom UCA's DJM 4" rear drop kit 1" spindle spacer kit 4x4 leaf pack swap (middle leaf removed) Air Lift rear helper springs 4 Siria (Asco) 3/8" air valves 3 gallon air tank 1/4' air lines 90's Acura Integra door switches to air valves ViAir 450 air compressor Rims: 18x10 Work VS-KF front w/5" lip 18x11 Work VS-KF rear w/6" lip 225/40/18 tires all around Sick Speed 3 piece spike lug nuts Pepboys valve stem caps 1" wheel spacers all around Interior: Wink Mirror rear view Center console lid fabric Metra Dash kit Kenwood bluetooth headunit Hifonics Zeus ZXi 6410 PB 6 1/2" component speakers up front 10" single Hifonics subwoofer 10" sealed angled box Katana shift knob
    cool thanks guys.

lol, I second that. Yes this will be my first, closest I have gotten to an actual bike is one of them pocket bikes. I'm 29, I'm pretty good, been in several rear ends though (none of which were my fault). Only one major accident but it was when I barely got my license, since then I've been driving like a granny at times. I'm down with the used ones since one of my friends had a brand new CBR and dropped it several times, not into spending top notch cash for something I have a feeling I will be dropping.

How do I find out about my ins. (I have ins. on my truck but not my Blazer yet, only the reg., do I ask my ins. company how much it would be for me?, I am a little worried if they give me a high number, I go to another ins. and they will mess with my truck ins.). I am going to hit up the DMV for the motorcycle test sometime soon, there used to be classes on the weekends at this local college but they are gone now. So I'm not sure how I'm going to take the driving portion of the test.

5. Apr 18, 2010 at 7:54 PM
    s2studio

s2studio Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma DC 4x4
  6. Apr 18, 2010 at 8:06 PM
    GerhartCss

GerhartCss Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Harrisburg, PA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport
    Pioneer AVIC-X710BT w/ PAC SWI-PS, Leaf Spring TSB
    +1, I purchased my first bike (SV 650) last year and took the local MSF class. I found it very informative and they provide the bikes so you would be able to get your license before actually purchasing a bike. I am lucky though because living in PA the class is free.

7. Apr 18, 2010 at 10:39 PM
    07TacoRidah

07TacoRidah [OP] SHHHH, this is interesting

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Base Model Access Cab
    Engine bay: aFe Pro Dry filter Secondary air filter deleted Sokie Tech hood damper kit OReiley battery terminals Big 3 upgrade (0g wiring) 2012 Headlight swap HID kit (headlight 6k/fog light 3k) Sylvania Zevo LED turn signals w/hyper flash resistors Rear back up light GY6 bulb Bullz Audio 0g wire Exterior: Dynamik Retro Projector style headlight housing Depo Euro Black Altezza LED tails 2012 front grill/bumper cover w/ fog light and hood swap Rear bumper swap (to chrome, painted w/bedliner paint) 99 Cents Store tailgate lock Suspension: XR Bilsteins Universal Air Suspension strut bag Custom UCA's DJM 4" rear drop kit 1" spindle spacer kit 4x4 leaf pack swap (middle leaf removed) Air Lift rear helper springs 4 Siria (Asco) 3/8" air valves 3 gallon air tank 1/4' air lines 90's Acura Integra door switches to air valves ViAir 450 air compressor Rims: 18x10 Work VS-KF front w/5" lip 18x11 Work VS-KF rear w/6" lip 225/40/18 tires all around Sick Speed 3 piece spike lug nuts Pepboys valve stem caps 1" wheel spacers all around Interior: Wink Mirror rear view Center console lid fabric Metra Dash kit Kenwood bluetooth headunit Hifonics Zeus ZXi 6410 PB 6 1/2" component speakers up front 10" single Hifonics subwoofer 10" sealed angled box Katana shift knob
    sweet thanks, I'm going to look in this :D

8. Apr 19, 2010 at 2:53 AM
    cjh

cjh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    10 doublecab
    The difference in insurance companies pricing is amazing. I have progressive on my bikes. When I called my agent through Erie insurance, who I have my homeowners and auto policy, he gave me a number that was double what progressive was. I just got my yearly bill from progressive and it went up about %15 from last year. It is still about half of what Erie would be. On my policy though the majority of the cost is the medical and liability on myself. The actual cost for comprehensive on each bike isn't a whole lot. Facts are facts and on a bike if you get in an accident, you aren't going to come out of it as well as if you were in a car. I guess they are paying out more injury claims and the rates are reflecting that. At least that is what my agent tells me. Just make sure you don't scrimp on your coverage if you get a bike. Yes the bike will be covered if you get hit, but that is no good if you have a mountain of bills from medical that aren't covered by your insurance policy. If you call your insurance company they should be able to give you a ballpark figure on cost. Seeing as this is your first bike I still would say get something a little more tame than a CBR or GSXR. You can always sell it after a year or so and move up. Buying used is still the best for now. You can usually sell a used bike a year later to move up and only loose a few bucks. I just saw an ad from one of my local dealers for new 09 suzuki GSX500s for under $4000. You might be suprised to see what kind of deals you can get on left-over models. There are still some 08 and 09s to be had. It just takes some looking.

9. Apr 19, 2010 at 6:02 PM
    WTtoolman

WTtoolman Facial bones colapse as I crack your skull in half

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Omaha, NE
    Vehicle:
    2006 Access Cab 4x4 TRD SWB
    5100s at 0, eibachs, 2" toytec AAL,, Moto Metal 951b, BFG A/T
    I'd check into state farm. They are usually the cheapest for motocycles but, may be higher for your car. The MSF Course is a great idea! Some insurance companies offer a lower rate if you've taken the MSF course plus you won't have to take the driven test when you get your motorcycle endorsment. Make sure you have some money set aside for good equipment. A good helmet and leather jacket are a must! No excuses! Don't care if it's 100 degrees out. Road rash hurts like a son of a bitch!

10. Apr 19, 2010 at 6:14 PM
    kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    I can vouch for used Honda worthiness, I'm riding a 79 cx500 that I was given for free, and I love it. Just look for tell-tale signs of dropping or crashing, scuffs or bent lights or mirrors, etc. A good owner will have maintenance records and will be able to tell you the history of things like tires, battery, etc. Check the engine oil for sparkles, you don't want bits of metal floating around inside the engine.

If you can afford it, definitely sign up for the beginner MSF course, it'll help you survive your first season of riding. It'll also probably give you a discount on your insurance. Just prepare yourself for more expensive insurance for a sportbike, the more plastic body work, the more you'll probably pay. Also, don't skimp on equipment, get the best helmet and jacket you can afford. Check out WebBikeWorld.com for reviews on everything you'd ever want to buy yourself.

11. Apr 20, 2010 at 5:24 AM
    tacomabiker

tacomabiker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    05 Toyota Tacoma V6 4x4 Offroad
    Leer Shell, Tow Package,
    +1 for CBR f4i.

I'd also look into the SV 650 and the Ninja 650R.

All three of these bikes are more docile than their counterparts with the RR.

CBR RR has a very sensitive throttle if you're not used to pulling it.

I would personally get the oldest fuel injected bike...like an old cbr f4i.

Why? B/C you're going to drop it. All my friends (yours truly included) have dropped their bikes. The sting hurts less when you paid less for a used learner bike.

Def. do not buy your dream bike on the first go! Its very likely you'll ruin it. In the last 5 years, I've been in 3 minor crashes, and I've dropped my bike maybe 6-7 times...they just creep up on you sometimes.

12. Apr 20, 2010 at 5:26 AM
    kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
  13. Apr 20, 2010 at 6:04 AM
    buck

buck Don't sweat the petty - pet the sweaty

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    15 DC V6 4x4 TRD Magnetic Gray
    High-flow coconut smiley-face air freshener.
    Used bikes are the way to go. There is a big market for used, so your choices are plentiful. I would suggest a fuel-injected bike (Honda F4i, '03+ R6 etc.). Even though a well-tuned carb'd bike will run very well, a FI bike will be less to worry about.

SS bikes are fine to drive on the street, and even for longer distance weekend rides, but they shine on the track. I'd only suggest getting a SS bike if you plan on doing track days. Other than that, get something a little more comfortable for the street (SV650, FZ6, Honda 599) would be a good option.

When checking out the bikes, bring someone you know who is experienced with bikes. Ask your questions. Steer clear of a bike that is safety wired. If it has holes through the heads of the bolts on the brakes, drain plugs, etc. it was probably used as a race bike. There is a good chance that the mileage shown on the bike is incorrect, and that the bike was crashed in one way or another. Don't believe the seller if he said the safety wired bike was used on trackdays only, because trackdays generally don't require you to safety wire your bike.

Happy riding!

14. Apr 20, 2010 at 6:27 AM
    Bryan07sport

Bryan07sport Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Smyrna, Delaware
    Vehicle:
    '22 TRD off-road.
    Bilstein 6112/5100. Icon progressive AAL. Overland Torque Tune. Toyota roof rack. Toyota bed extender. Gator trifold tonneau. Bora .75" wheel spacers. 265/75r16 tires.
    Man, I've actually never heard anyone with any sense recommend a new bike for their first. Never. Anyway most people usually will like whatever style they start out with. All the jap bikes have their own personality.

-gsxrs- for newbs, "stunters" -ha-, most of the guys that wear their matching jackets into the bar. Narrow, low seats, some people like the feeling of "fitting into them" better.
    -yamahas- have always had a more track oriented approach. High, wide seat, like a magic carpet to me. nothing to grab onto with your legs, kinda just floating around up there.
    -ninjas- tend to be pretty well rounded, they always seemed to be a step behind in styling though
    -cbrs- (i'm biased) i love them. compromise between the gsxr and yamaha for seating, broad power range.

This list would be more accurate a few years ago as all the new bikes tend to have very close specs now. One thing to keep in mind is the newer bikes have a steeper fork rake to them, making them slightly more agile, but be less stable and forgiving. And remember with all the "breakthroughs" technology has come out with, the bikes of today aren't much better than from the late 90s. maybe a 10th on the track. Once you start talking about rider and upgrades, that difference goes out the door.

15. Apr 20, 2010 at 6:38 AM
    FirstCohort

FirstCohort Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    10 SR5 DC LB 4x4 BSP
    WeatherTech Vent visors, access soft roll-up bed cover, factory side steps, factory bed mat, weathertech floorliner fore and aft, tinted front windows- State legal 50% : (
    +100000000 The MSF course is the best money spent when looking at riding. The techniques taught can save your life!! I had been riding for 2 yrs before taking my course and wish I had taken it before I ever started thinking about riding. Once you have been riding for a couple of years and are secure on the bike you are riding, TAKE THE ADVANCED COURSE!! I can't stress enough how much can be learned and used from these courses. I tried to be an MSF instructor but didn't have weekend time to give up but if I could I would in a heart beat. Nothing like having a student come back and say you saved my life by what I learned here.

16. Apr 20, 2010 at 6:40 AM
    StZu

StZu Where the White Women At?

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Dallas Texas
    Vehicle:
    18 Super White TRD Offroad
    Level 8 Wheels, Bilstien/Eibach lift, 2" aal, blacked out rear bumper, AC drain hose relocation, sound deadening 4 doors and back wall, amp/speaker upgrade, 10" daytona sub, LED interior lights.
    1. get MSF done, this will save your life.
    2. think about a smaller used bike. I would not recommend any 600cc bikes. Any bike that can go 0-60 in under 3 seconds is not for a beginner
    3. if you ride wear your gear (helmet, boots, gloves, jacket, pants) You would rather sweat than bleed.
    4. remember you are the roll cage, and you will wreck the bike, everyone wrecks.
    5. update your medical and life insurance
    6. check dairyland insurance for cheap motorcycle insurance.

17. Apr 20, 2010 at 6:43 AM
    FirstCohort

FirstCohort Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    10 SR5 DC LB 4x4 BSP
    WeatherTech Vent visors, access soft roll-up bed cover, factory side steps, factory bed mat, weathertech floorliner fore and aft, tinted front windows- State legal 50% : (

Spoken from experience I assume.

There are only two types of riders. Those that have wrecked and those that will. I am in the first category. Helmet, boots, gloves, jacket, and pants did their job and I am proof. No scars, road rash or busted head. (well according to my wife my head has always been busted but that is a different story) :rolleyes:

18. Apr 20, 2010 at 6:55 AM
    StZu

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Dallas Texas
    Vehicle:
    Level 8 Wheels, Bilstien/Eibach lift, 2" aal, blacked out rear bumper, AC drain hose relocation, sound deadening 4 doors and back wall, amp/speaker upgrade, 10" daytona sub, LED interior lights.
    I went down going home from work 1 day. I was riding and an inner tube came out of the back of a guys truck(unsecured load) and hit me in the face and cleaned me off the bike. I was going 70 mph and the first thing to hit the pavement was my head and shoulder. I was wearing the Scorpion ex400 helmet(best damn money I ever spent) and a vanson leather jacket( I refuse to wear mesh). I was wearing boots and gloves which saved my ankle the boot was almost torn in 1/2, and the palms on the gloves were worn down to threads.
    Injuries sustained with gear, 2 separated shoulders, sterno clavicular separation, 3 broken ribs, broken wrist, 27 staples, and some road rash.
    I was very lucky, I had no lasting damage and no head or neck injuries. This was the last time I will ride a bike on the street. I will still ride at track days and on the dirt, but you guys can keep this street riding I am done with that.
    I dont discourage anyone from riding but what I try to do is make sure they ride as safe as possible. Just drive defensively and think that everyone is trying to kill you and they dont see you.

19. Apr 20, 2010 at 6:55 AM
    NumNutz

NumNutz One of the original 7928

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4x4 - Kings, TC, Dakars, broken stuff
    Lots.
    I'm in the process of buying a 04 Suzuki GS500F w/ 12K miles for $1200 as my first bike. It's a steal. The previous owner slacked on the maintenance a little bit (carbs need to be cleaned) and it needs a new rear tire but other than that it's pretty good.

I know one rule of thumb is that a bike with 12K miles is like a car with 120K miles.

20. Apr 20, 2010 at 6:58 AM
    StZu

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Dallas Texas
    Vehicle:
    That is a great bike at a great price! Those engines are bulletproof.

Products Discussed in

To Top